Let’s talk armwrestling!

Tommy J.

Wheels or school boy?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got for the win? And why!

• Wheels
    • School boy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/13/2021 at 12:30 AM

8 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

How would you and Tanner fair against Michael Todd left arm? Dominate him?

No idea. I’m fairly certain neither of us have ever pulled his left. Why do you ask?

are you implying school boys performance vs Todd’s left is any noteworthy indicator of how a match right hand will go?

Also, it’s odd to me people are so fast to point out how he “crushed” Todd’s left. Only to completely ignore wheels “crushing” schoolboy left only moments later in the same room.

schoolboy>MMT left hand

larry>schoolboy left hand

larry, the non puller- is now stronger left than schoolboy AND MMT.

The only thing that got demonstrated there is that we have 2 actual arm wrestlers that just both got crushed left hand by a non puller…

Edited by Tommy J.

Well, SB competed a bunch in different tournaments in the US before the pandemic. I’m sure he’ll go back to doing it when regular competitions starts happening again. Then it’ll just be a matter of figuring out where he’ll show up and go there. Until then I’d suggest focus on winning regional pro divisions, pin as many dudes with good credentials as possible and work yourselves up to national or near-national level.

• Thanks 1

Who wins between Tommy, Adam and Tanner is the real question.

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Well, SB competed a bunch in different tournaments in the US before the pandemic. I’m sure he’ll go back to doing it when regular competitions starts happening again. Then it’ll just be a matter of figuring out where he’ll show up and go there. Until then I’d suggest focus on winning regional pro divisions, pin as many dudes with good credentials as possible and work yourselves up to national or near-national level.

I agree this is likely the only way.

I do admit, I’m not so sure I’d pull am impressive performance off right now.. even if I dose the vitamins up. However, I am 100% sure I’d do better right now at this bw than Larry did with him.

already told the fellas here last weekend that when my bench journey is concluded, I’m going back to arm wrestling. Only this time as my main focus.

for reference on where I fell natty, un dedicated, and at just over 200lbs, I’ve stopped Toddzilla and forced him into a flopped hand press. Obviously once he began pressing with all that side pressure, I gave. But he obviously wanted no part of a hook OR an outside match. To be clear- Hutchings was also under 200lbs at that time. Also had a couple good matches with Chris chandler at that same size, while he was 230’ish. Other than that it’s all been Texas guys at Texas tournaments. Due to not taking it seriously enough to travel to seek stiffer competition. Hints un dedicated.

im now much bigger than then and also not natty. But still un dedicated. While I do still struggle on the bench, my most noticeable gains from the vitamins are/is arm wrestling power. Which is frustrating at times.. considering my only current exploit IS the bench.

Anywho, yeah. I’d still take that match today if I could. I’m not one to sit around calculating lift numbers or studying footage before I say “f#%^ it” and jump on a table with someone. It doesn’t really matter who they are. “Yes I will pull” is typically always my response. Win lose or draw means little to a guy who has no vested interest in the outcome. For me it’s a matter of principal. I said I would, so I will.

33 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Who wins between Tommy, Adam and Tanner is the real question.

Tanner vs Tommy left- Tanner kills it

Adam vs Tommy left- Adam kills it

cant budge either of them lefty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

You guy’s are kidding about Schoolboy right? Schoolboy might be overrated but he’s still no joke. Second place at the russian junior heavyweights. No one in here would offer any resistance to him. Maybe Schoolboy at 16-18 weighing 80-90kg. But Schoolboy at 21 weighing 126kg, forget it. 

I couldn’t touch him…but I really wouldn’t be surprised if Tommy could give him a match. Seriously haha Tommy has that ogre Jennings strength

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

However, I am 100% sure I’d do better right now at this bw than Larry did with him.

This exactly 

Side pullings means nothing. If it did we’d all be world champions. There are videos of Schoolboy absolutely dominating Todd Hutchings on both left and right arm in training. And that was a year ago and about 20 kg ago.

With that said Hutchings would of course annihilate Schoolboy in a serious competition. This just shows that pulling in a training setting mean nothing.

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

With that said Hutchings would of course annihilate Schoolboy in a serious competition. This just shows that pulling in a training setting mean nothing.

Agreed. And ironically enough, I’ve only pulled hutchings and chandler in tournaments. Never pulled either of them on a side table

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Agreed. And ironically enough, I’ve only pulled hutchings and chandler in tournaments. Never pulled either of them on a side table

Correction!

ive only pulled Hutchings at a Monster Energy booth. The challenge was if you beat hutchings you win $5k. No way I’ll ever pass up trying! I was 3rd or 4th in line behind a couple motocross fans to pull him right after they announced the challenge. Basically I was the first actual puller to give him a go that day. I was in the event that day along side hutchings. Bagent was hosting. We all got paid that day by monster to come out and pull fans and get the sport some exposure. And i also couldn’t pass up on a monster girl.. 😜
it was actually a really cool event. We even found a couple decent new pullers that day. When I got in line I was the only guy in line in a WAL shirt at that time. So when I stepped to the table a bunch of the fans all gave a “oooooooo!….” Like they thought I might take the $5k. 😂

many of the other heavies pulled him that day after me. The other guy that got closest to taking the money was Adam Irrgang, who was also there that day as part of the event. Adam had him so close to the pin pad we all thought Hutchings arm was going to break (everyone knows what I’m talking about with his pull style) But no one took the $5k. 

hutchings was 198lbs that day. And Robbie Burnett did not pull him due to an injury. Had Robbie pulled him that day he would have taken the $5k.

but!… Robbie was 330 or so that day and hutchings was 198. That’s the factor that would have weighed in robbies favor. Hitchings at 240lbs?.. no way Robbie pins him.

This should illustrate to everyone reading that typically only the top 5 or so in each weight class in the USA get all the media and exposure on YouTube. When there are plenty of us who aren’t far off, but just don’t get the limelight.

which, as I’ve explained on the previous page, is what makes school boys publicity so infuriating.

for some reason the USA doesn’t cater to strong pullers like nearly every other country does.

otherwise Texas guys like Robbie, Brian, Dmitri, etc. would all have tons of clout.

here’s another gem for most that don’t know because of the way the clout works. There was a guy named Brandon Boudin that ANNIHILATED Devon Larratt here in 2017 in a WAL double elimination tournament. And not only do I bet none here have seen the footage, but I also bet the majority here have never even heard of Brandon.

so no.. the popular YouTube videos with regards to arm wrestlers you see aren’t even close to the full story.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

This should illustrate to everyone reading that typically only the top 5 or so in each weight class in the USA get all the media and exposure on YouTube. When there are plenty of us who aren’t far off, but just don’t get the limelight.

which, as I’ve explained on the previous page, is what makes school boys publicity so infuriating.

for some reason the USA doesn’t cater to strong pullers like nearly every other country does.

otherwise Texas guys like Robbie, Brian, Dmitri, etc. would all have tons of clout.

Excellent point. Robby is incredibly strong and I feel like he doesn’t get near enough publicity. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Excellent point. Robby is incredibly strong and I feel like he doesn’t get near enough publicity. 

Michael Hann is another one. It literally pisses me off that the world doesn’t seem to know who he is unless they are in the know. Michael could walk in and flash Larry at 175lbs.

at this time I would say he’s Texas’ most decorated puller. (Even above Dmitri’s 2nd place Russia finish!) With the ability at any given moment to finish top 10 at worlds either hand, and maybe even top 5, lefty. Ron Erdman is the only other Texas lightweight that has placed better at worlds than Michael.

yes, Robbie and Dmitri will steam roll Michael… but with respects to their weight classes on a world scale, Michael is the man over both of them.

Edited by Tommy J.

So to ease any thoughts anyone may be having that might think I’m just in here talking reckless, they say you don’t get to pick your blessings.. if it were up to me, I’d have rather been born with a physical ability that paid way better. Like maybe the NFL or something. But the anti climactic reality is, I’m gonna have to run with what I’ve got. Unfortunately but still somewhat fortunately, I’ve got a great natural talent on the table right hand. Until I focus on it, everything will look like talk.

what sort of sucks about it tho is arm wrestling doesn’t even pay well in North America unless you’re the #1 super in the world it seems.

even John Brzenk never quit his day job… and Devon did a full career in the military along side his arm wrestling exploits.

so the best any good puller could aim for is clout that may open a door for you elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

There was a guy named Brandon Boudin that ANNIHILATED Devon Larratt here in 2017 in a WAL double elimination tournament.

Apologies for this error, this match was in 2014 at one of WAL’s first big events.

I do apologize for misspeaking on the year. 🙏🏻 

Edited by Tommy J.

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Apologies for this error, this match was in 2014 at one of WAL’s first big events.

I do apologize for misspeaking on the year. 🙏🏻 

And the last name was spelled Boduin. Again, sorry for misspeaking.

what is cool about that match is Brandon isn’t even active and barely pulls. And Devon had no clue who he even was!

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

And the last name was spelled Boduin. Again, sorry for misspeaking.

what is cool about that match is Brandon isn’t even active and barely pulls. And Devon had no clue who he even was!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

So to ease any thoughts anyone may be having that might think I’m just in here talking reckless, they say you don’t get to pick your blessings.. if it were up to me, I’d have rather been born with a physical ability that paid way better. Like maybe the NFL or something. But the anti climactic reality is, I’m gonna have to run with what I’ve got. Unfortunately but still somewhat fortunately, I’ve got a great natural talent on the table right hand. Until I focus on it, everything will look like talk.

what sort of sucks about it tho is arm wrestling doesn’t even pay well in North America unless you’re the #1 super in the world it seems.

even John Brzenk never quit his day job… and Devon did a full career in the military along side his arm wrestling exploits.

so the best any good puller could aim for is clout that may open a door for you elsewhere.

You should move to Kazakhstan. Probably a few hundred pullers there who live on a government check enough to get by and enough to travel the world to compete. 

13 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

You should move to Kazakhstan. Probably a few hundred pullers there who live on a government check enough to get by and enough to travel the world to compete. 

Interesting. Never seen any of them here. Lol!

38 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Interesting. Never seen any of them here. Lol!

You’ll find them at WAF, Zloty and Top-8. 

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Best match from someone most have never heard of! Devon looked like he was trying to escape getting ran over by a truck but didn’t quite miss the tires..... t

Yep! Just a big country no-name Louisiana guy.

showed up, got rowdy, handled business, then went back to Louisiana to eat crawfish and hang out in the mud.

Plenty out there like this, too. And you’ll never see the majority of them. Because they don’t care about a sport that pays peanuts.

most strong guys here (or people here in general) believe it or not, only give merit to sports that pay well, or that are hosted in the olympics. While many of us here could make a strong case why that’s out of line, people just don’t care. There are literally hundreds of thousands (more than likely tens of millions actually) in the USA alone, that have zero clue arm wrestling or grip is even a legit sport. Of that large number of people, how many would you genuinely estimate is sitting on a gold mine of potential?

this sort of falls in line with previous long winded debates I’ve been in on the board where members here swear up and down feats like an inch lifts are fit only for the rarest of the rare strength gifted individuals. When I have single handedly found over 10 unsuspecting first time inch lifters myself! Then not only did I find them, and report about my findings here on the board, but I was also scoffed at and people here acted like I was telling some lie.. as if instead of them being genuinely curious about the world they live in, they instead aim to be some kind of gate keeper to who gets recognition and who doesn’t.

the lesson that I’ve single handedly taught here, over and over, is to stop with the narrow mindedness.

THE problem with this community, and yes it is a problem!… is that so many here are under the impression or opinion that:

“I’ve been working for years to do this lift, or beat that guy at arm wrestling. And no unheard of no-name is that much better than me!.. because I work so hard at this”…… or “sheeeiit! So and so has been arm wrestling for over 25 years! No way some no-name is gonna throw a wrench in his gears!”

and that is an absolute joke.

there ARE people out here that will defy your rule of thumb. There ARE no-name people out here as gifted as the athlete you fawn over. There ARE no-name guys out here who, with a little bit of guidance, will WRECK your hero’s most stunning performances.

another example of this is Brian Sitton. I (as in-me!) literally found that guy. He was some random 185lb guy putting auto parts on shelves when I found him. Now he’s a 300lb monster top 15-20 national superheavy weight puller. And to be honest, I’ve also found 4-5 other pullers that had even more potential than Brian. Who literally just didn’t care about pursuing the sport!

my question is, what am I doing that you are not? Is it my personality? Is it my lack of humility? Is it my eagerness to see others legitimately do better than me? Or do I just possess a more reality based understanding that me, my circle, and the people I “deem” great literally aren’t the only people on earth?

and I don’t even have a large platform that helps me find these people. I literally just come across them in my day to day life.

so my question to you guys is, are you even looking?

Edited by Tommy J.

11 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

You’ll find them at WAF, Zloty and Top-8. 

There are hundreds of Kazakhs in top 8 and Zloty?

Here’s a few general rules to follow that will help you find more strong ass people-

there is no replacement for displacement. The bigger/taller a guy is, the more likely he’ll be good or great at grip or arm wrestling.

pay attention to how the guy moves. If he looks/moves easily like he can handle himself, he likely will be able to.

And last, but possibly most important, pick the random guy who you caught sizing YOU up. Because…”Birds of a feather” do what?!