New England's Strongest Grip 5/22/21

SarahChappelow

Yesterday I attended New England’s Strongest Grip, the third Armlifting USA-sanctioned contest to take place in New England. New England’s Strongest Grip was hosted by “Big Will” Fateiger and Corey Piazza, co-owners of Aftermath Strength and Rehabilitation in Leominster, MA (roughly 40 miles west of Boston.) Big Will and Corey are fixtures on the New England strongman scene and expert promoters of their business and their gym’s athletes. When I heard they were going to host an Armlifting USA contest, I knew it was going to be a good one.

New England’s Strongest Grip featured Apollon’s Axle, Rolling Thunder, Sorinex Saxon Bar, and Silver Bullet. There were a couple of experienced grip athletes participating, but most of the lifters were strongmen and powerlifters trying out something new. The atmosphere was jovial and everyone had a great time. Considering it was the first contest they’ve ever run, it was extremely well run from registration through the end of the contest. Prizes for first and second place winners included etched beer mugs, and each division’s first place winner took home The Payne, courtesy of John Oka (Jokabug.) 

Big Will and Corey said they plan to host future Armlifting USA meets at their gym, hoping to build up a solid representation of lifters in New England. I highly recommend any of their future meets.

As for my own lifts, I did well (better than I was expecting, really), earning PRs on Apollon’s Axle, Saxon Bar, and Silver Bullet. All-in-all a super fun day!

-Sarah Chappelow 

Edited by SarahChappelow
Added my name :)
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I just looked over the results. Good work on the #3 SB hold - second including the men and women. All your numbers were great.

Eric Dawson looks like the man to beat in New England.

Oh, huh, I definitely didn't do the #3. That's the correct time but it was with the 2.5. I'll let them know. 

Yeah, Eric Dawson is super strong! He won the Anvil lift at Rogue Record Breakers.