"Kinney" close challenge. Prize money!

Cannon

15 hours ago, SeNoLD said:

This is ofc beyond nuts and very strong. But that handle placement is not as far back as kinney in my opinion and thats really what makes the kinney close hard af

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SeNoLD said:

Very strong! But unfortunately your gripper looks real so it’s not a Kinney close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Lennix said:

This is ofc beyond nuts and very strong. But that handle placement is not as far back as kinney in my opinion and thats really what makes the kinney close hard af

Agreed...but he has the strength to close that with the handle back. It’s just not gonna be like Kinney’s no.4 close ...which shows how ridiculous it was- on both ends-believer-non believer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Agreed...but he has the strength to close that with the handle back. It’s just not gonna be like Kinney’s no.4 close ...which shows how ridiculous it was- on both ends-believer-non believer!

Yes.  Shamey's 3.5 vid actually serves to illustrate that Kinney's was either not a true 4 or was fraudulent (either by him or someone deceiving him, no need to get into it about that).  Shamey is one of the best gripper closers, period -- might be the number one, but we cannot argue that he isn't at least one of the top three or four.  And you can see how hard it looked for him to grind a 3.5 after a wide close, as compared to the 3 (Meanwhile, Kinney made the supposed 4 look the way Shamey made the 3 look -- like a rag doll).  Shamey could not quite do to the 3.5 what Kinney did to the supposed 4.  So, I'm sold (or, s[EN]old lol).  Kinney's storied close can't be real, because he could not be that order of magnitude above Shamey.  Just not physically possible.  The fact that no one is going to get a good Kinney close even on a 3.5 should really be enough to debunk the Kinney myth.  And if he is THAT head and shoulders better than the few best in the world, he should get out and show us, or else accept that no one is going to believe it.  Enough already.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yes.  Shamey's 3.5 vid actually serves to illustrate that Kinney's was either not a true 4 or was fraudulent (either by him or someone deceiving him, no need to get into it about that).  Shamey is one of the best gripper closers, period -- might be the number one, but we cannot argue that he isn't at least one of the top three or four.  And you can see how hard it looked for him to grind a 3.5 after a wide close, as compared to the 3 (Meanwhile, Kinney made the supposed 4 look the way Shamey made the 3 look -- like a rag doll).  Shamey could not quite do to the 3.5 what Kinney did to the supposed 4.  So, I'm sold (or, s[EN]old lol).  Kinney's storied close can't be real, because he could not be that order of magnitude above Shamey.  Just not physically possible.  The fact that no one is going to get a good Kinney close even on a 3.5 should really be enough to debunk the Kinney myth.  And if he is THAT head and shoulders better than the few best in the world, he should get out and show us, or else accept that no one is going to believe it.  Enough already.

totally agree.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

It really is funny Vinnie that people still believe that close....I had to go through a lot of my own thoughts before I came to the conclusion that maybe he wasn’t as strong as the video shows. The gimmicky way it closes shows there is something up with it. Even when you see someone using an easy gripper and speed up at the bottom, it doesn’t look like Joe’s- his almost looks like it is going good then hits a little snag, then powers through to an easier part...the little burst at the bottom. Like gears on a bike chain....at least, that’s the way it looks to me.

• Like 2

If everyone wants to argue about Kinney's close and his publicly stated claims, please move it over to a different thread.

This is a contest to see who can duplicate Kinney's close under @Cannon request.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I agree. Handle further back is a huge part of the challenge.

Also, Kinney did not use chalk.  Think about that.  Wow.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I agree on everything. As for the bold, to be honest I stillsee Kinney's "#4" close still more impressive than SeNold's ultra human hard to replicate feat. Kinney never set it then went wide, he started wide at first, handle way back in the palm, skin doesn't give in, it get's easier at the close, did not see the opening, dark video, grind it like what I can do to a #1, saying "can you hear it" like he didn't do anything, all that plus his other BS claims. JK is head and shoulder above everyone else which shows the BS.

13 hours ago, JDC James said:

Ok, I'm sorry, I just had to bite here.

First off, David Shamey is more impressive and merits more respect than Kinney simply because he has all his feats well documented and proven. I don't want to disrespect anyone here.

If I interpreted your comment correctly, what you're basically saying is that Kinney can't be real because the best gripsters today can't even come close to him. I don't think this line of thinking really holds any water. Firstly, If I'm correct, David's max close is around 250 RGC from a choker. Kinney claimed to have closed his monster gripper which was most likely between 270-320 RGC. To me, this actually adds up, comparing David's #3 close to Kinney's #4 close. Secondly, look at people like Florence Griffith Joyner. Set the 100m dash world record in 1988 and hasn't been even close to being beaten even 33 years later. Jasper Benincasa. Marvin Eder. The list of prodigies who were far ahead of their time goes on and on. Also keep in mind that the probability of an extreme outlier appearing is smaller in a small sport vs a massive one like running. My point is that the strength of modern athletes doesn't give any kind of definitive proof about what is "possible" and what is not. I'm not definitively saying that Kinney was real, I'm just saying that in a small sport like grip, the limits of what is possible are almost certainly very, very far away from what we have currently seen.

I see you are new, what grippers have you closed? Do you know the magnitude of closing even a #3?

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anemptybox said:

I can definitely do better but I just wanted to contribute to the topic. First attempt, one take.

Give the man his money! 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

I can definitely do better but I just wanted to contribute to the topic. First attempt, one take.

SPOT ON!!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

This is so uncanny 😁🤣 perfect replication

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

Wins by far!

• Thanks 1

Glad you guys enjoyed my video! 😀

The original video is a classic, though I definitely lean a lot on the side of scepticism. No disrespect meant either way of course.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, Anemptybox said:

This is priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I finally had time to go through the thread. While I had hope for far more submissions, it was fun to see Stephen Anderson and David Shamey duking it out with some big grippers! There were also some spot-on reproductions which are very faithful to the original. 

Overall I count 10 entries. I feel that all entries should be in the drawing for $50. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to upload a video. 

John McCarter's close is hella impressive with a wide set, slow-ish close, however no clicking.

Stephen Anderson's 150 video is his best attempt. The 152 close could have been slower on the close and there were no clicks. His 180 attempt is an absolutely sick gripper video, but I do not feel it exhibits a "Kinney style" close. Great work Stephen, you're in with the 150 video. 

Senold's attempts were all good. The 155 video is excellent with audible clicks. That is incredible. But then he submitted a 173 IM3.5 attempt! This is good video, wide-ish set, slow close, and definitely visible clicking action. I'm not 100% sure there were audible clicks.. it sounded a little like the spring needed oil. This was an incredible video. 

AND THE WINNERS ARE...

$100 PRIZE FOR BIGGEST GRIPPER 
Either way I feel this goes to @SeNoLD. Both his 155 and 173 attempts are very good tries and they are higher than Stephen's 150 and 152. Congratulations! 

$50 PRIZE RANDOM DRAWING 
This ended up being a 1 in 6 chance to win $50. Only 6 unique people made a submission. Drum roll.. The name pulled in the random drawing is.... @insane.warrior.  Congratulations! 

HONORABLE MENTION

@Anemptybox Can I just say wow. Both your video and Insane Warrior's were very faithful reproductions with excellent attention to detail. But yours was on a whole other level! I really enjoyed your video with the banana for scale and the voice and everything. Thank you so much for this treasure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

This is priceless. 

This was really good! :)

• Thanks 1