"Kinney" close challenge. Prize money!

Cannon

9 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

And this is a guide for those of you who have troubles with clicks 😉

Oh, I had that thought about how he did it as well ...

• Like 1

The idea of replicating this iconic gesture is very nice. Very soon I will also give my contribution.
Cheers,
Giorgio.
  • Like 2

Although, I don’t meet the criteria Matt has set, by using a Vulcan...and it’s filed, and can’t grind the handles like Joe, I think it best shows that Joe’s gripper seems to get easier at the close.

using a torsion spring gripper that is “easy” and trying to go slow, then speed up doesn’t quite look right- but something that challenges you from the beginning through the sweep, doesn’t give you the cadence problem I see when people try to duplicate his close, IMO.

• Like 3

Haven't done squat with grippers for a long time and just gave this a shot.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, Stephen Anderson said:

My video wont post here 🤷🏻‍♂️

That is a known issue with cross linking. It also asks me to login. Can you post it to YouTube? 

5 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Haven't done squat with grippers for a long time and just gave this a shot.

Best video shot so far trying to duplicate Kinney's video.  Set too John. And, even hour thumb pad beef as well.  :)  All you needed was the grind at the end a bit.  

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Best video shot so far trying to duplicate Kinney's video.  Set too John. And, even hour thumb pad beef as well.  :)  All you needed was the grind at the end a bit.  

Thanks. I need to improve my attempt. I don't train anything. Grabbed a #3 and went for it with no warm up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

In my opinion the most critical aspect of duplicating Kinney's close is to start closing gripper from the position showed on the screenshot below (green).tmp.thumb.png.6ea45f4fccaf184f46864c3fcfaf30ed.png

And the difference between these two is obviously  huge

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

In my opinion the most critical aspect of duplicating Kinney's close is to start closing gripper from the position showed on the screenshot below (green).tmp.thumb.png.6ea45f4fccaf184f46864c3fcfaf30ed.png

Where that red line is...feels very on orthodox to me- like I would never use that strength anywhere. Doing Joe’s way, green line, you really feel you’ve crushed something...and it’s usable strength. I like somewhere in between.

Nathan Holle also sets it very high like that- but it is an effective way to train grippers ...if you don’t mind the exchange rate in strength when you go wide. 

Paw Knight was using that for all his work, but the 3.5 ccs was his best wide range that I saw. 
no shade to anyone using that...but I hate having to use the conversion table in my head to figure out where someone is with wide closes.🤔

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Where that red line is...feels very on orthodox to me- like I would never use that strength anywhere. Doing Joe’s way, green line, you really feel you’ve crushed something...and it’s usable strength. I like somewhere in between.

Nathan Holle also sets it very high like that- but it is an effective way to train grippers ...if you don’t mind the exchange rate in strength when you go wide. 

Paw Knight was using that for all his work, but the 3.5 ccs was his best wide range that I saw. 
no shade to anyone using that...but I hate having to use the conversion table in my head to figure out where someone is with wide closes.🤔

Eventually, when it comes to the world class results in sport, athlete will use every single technic advantage he can.

Nathan Holle and Paul Knight are making their best on the video so they're setting the gripper in the best possible position which allows to gain max leverage.

On the other hand Joe Kinney  keeps handle deep in his palm which points out at either his great hand strength (way higher than needed to close #4 on the video) or falsification of the closure 🙂

tmp.thumb.png.e41965237010ff40cfefd25af480dafb.png

Edited by insane.warrior

The biggest thing people are missing is that you’re supposed to use a fake gripper. It’s not a true Kinney close unless the gripper has been tampered with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

The biggest thing people are missing is that you’re supposed to use a fake gripper. It’s not a true Kinney close unless the gripper has been tampered with.

I was thinking of tapping the table with my off hand out of camera range for the clicks ...

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 12:58 PM, insane.warrior said:

I like to keep back handle of gripper a little farther back into my hand. It works if you have bigger hands and can stretch your palm to cradle the handle but Joe's hands weren't that big if I recall. Might have been extremely awkward for him. Something I've noticed in hands of big gripper closers. Although the length of your hand can be of great benefit but more so the ring finger, pinky, and thumb. If you have short pinky and thumb you are gonna have a rough time doing wider set closes. Also if your ring finger is smaller than your index and its on the shorter side, that can also negatively impact your gripper closes. 

Edited by Ivan Cuk
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Certification Captains of Crush #3.5 - YouTube

I think Gabriel did it close to Kinney style. 

Amazing close but not at all close. I have yet to see someone doing to a #3 what JK did to a #4.

5 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Amazing close but not at all close. I have yet to see someone doing to a #3 what JK did to a #4.

Well yeah, but he didn't do it to a #4.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Well yeah, but he didn't do it to a #4.

Yup, which I am saying he never did it.

If I close Coc 2 like this, it will be fine😅
(Attempt without RGC, especially bad light and quality)

Edited by SeNoLD
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2021 at 3:57 PM, slazbob said:

That’s a normal close. 

I think that the handle position is closer to the palm than what others do.