"Kinney" close challenge. Prize money!

Cannon

I got this idea from the other Kinney thread running right now.

THE CHALLENGE
Post a video of your best effort to emulate Kinney's famous #4 close. Any gripper can be used. The major elements to emulate would be the minimal set, slow close, and multiple grinding clicks of the handles.

THE GRIPPER
Use the hardest rated gripper you can. It doesn't have to be rated by CPW, but it has to be rated. It does not have to be a #4. Just the hardest rated gripper you are able to use. 

THE PRIZES 
There are two ways to win from submitting a video which meets the entry requirements. 1) The person with the highest rated gripper automatically gets $100. 2) EVERYONE who submits an acceptable entry will be entered into a drawing for $50. I would love to see a ton of entries so there is incentive even if you don't think your entry will be the highest! This is cash that I will Paypal in USD. It takes a minute to shoot a video, just do it and then convince someone else you would love to see make an entry!  

THE VIDEO
While this is for fun, I reserve the right to kick out any entry for any reason.

• The video must be submitted in this thread but links can be from youtube, instagram, wherever. 
  • Clearly show the rating and the type of gripper. (Personally I think it would be very interesting if you also stated your current gripper max so that can be compared.) 

The only real requirement is "try and emulate Kinney's close." If you need more clarification, I mean please try and cover these elements:

• The set must be "slight". No specific width but watch the video; it's wide and he gets his pinky on board. 
  • The close must be slow. From set to handles touching, Joe clocks about 3 seconds. Try to be around a 3-count on the close. Feel free to count it out in the video. 
  • You must grind the handles with audible clicks. I count at least 10 from Joe and maybe 12.

LET'S GO. I would love to see a ton of entries. I'll let this run through June 10th. Let's see what you've got. Please spread this around on Facebook, Reddit, wherever!  

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Sorry, Matt ...I don’t have any rated no.4’s ....I’m out 😄

Haha, read closer! You can use any rated gripper you want. 

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

THE GRIPPER
Use the hardest rated gripper you can. It doesn't have to be rated by CPW, but it has to be rated. It does not have to be a #4. Just the hardest rated gripper you are able to use.

Sorry, Matt ...I don’t have any rated no.0.5’s ....I’m out 😄

• Haha 4

I do predict we won't see anyone do this with a 4, but I bet we will see some cool feats.  Hope Chez gets in on it.  

• Like 3

Awesome Idea! It would be fun to do this with a #3 perhaps I need to pick up grippers again!

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Lennix said:

Awesome Idea! It would be fun to do this with a #3 perhaps I need to pick up grippers again!

Even that is a tall order!

I'm thinking I can pull it off with a 2.5 or maybe on a good day with a Standard or Tetting in the almost 140 range; My lowest COC 3 is 143 and I am pretty sure that even if I can get the wide close on that, I won't be grinding the handles 10 times thereafter ...

• Like 2

Less talk, more attempts. Just start submitting, you can improve your effort later if you want!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Even that is a tall order!

I'm thinking I can pull it off with a 2.5 or maybe on a good day with a Standard or Tetting in the almost 140 range; My lowest COC 3 is 143 and I am pretty sure that even if I can get the wide close on that, I won't be grinding the handles 10 times thereafter ...

I tried this long time ago and couldn't do it on a 2.5 😂

I have nothing under #3 rated unfortunately 😂

23 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I tried this long time ago and couldn't do it on a 2.5 😂

I have nothing under #3 rated unfortunately 😂

IMO, you have to use a gripper you have at least a 40 lb rgc over. 

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

I've closed Coc#3.5 178 and can't do that with a #3 146 so I think your guesstimate sounds about right!

2 hours ago, slazbob said:

29 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I've closed Coc#3.5 178 and can't do that with a #3 146 so I think your guesstimate sounds about right!

My best ever RGC close is 160 (for a double) and the MM2, so low 160s.  I might be close to that still, or again.  I believe my first Kinney attempt will be 30 pounds less than my RGC max, on a 132-rated 2.5.  I can TNS that with no issue, but not sure about the grinding and clicking from a wide close.  I do have a couple of easier 2.5s to try if that fails (117 and 127).  As Matt said, I will talk less and attempt more -- but I worked grip Saturday and pinch/thickbar yesterday, so I want to wait a few days until I recover a bit.

• Like 1

Had to try it 😂 

1-10 how kinneylike was it? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lennix said:

Had to try it 😂 

1-10 how kinneylike was it? 

Pretty good, maybe when you were grinding it you opened and closed it more than he did -- his was more like sliding the handles back and forth (which you also did).  My arms are a little sore from pinch Monday but I should be good to try tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Pretty good, maybe when you were grinding it you opened and closed it more than he did -- his was more like sliding the handles back and forth (which you also did).  My arms are a little sore from pinch Monday but I should be good to try tomorrow.

Couldn't get those loud clicks though 😕

Goodluck vinnie! The hardest part was going so damn slow, its almost impossible to not smash it 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 2

Need one with very good knurling to get those loud clicks

• Like 1

My video wont post here 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 hours ago, Lennix said:

Couldn't get those loud clicks though 😕

Goodluck vinnie! The hardest part was going so damn slow, its almost impossible to not smash it 

You can if the gripper gets easier at the close. And the newer grippers don’t grind as well as those 1990’s grippers .

Tried my best imitating the "Kinney technique" 😁

Current CCS max is around RGC 140 lbs

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 2