Ironmind Rolling thunder

carlos joaquim

Hey grippers, I've noticed that Ironmind rolling thunder handle get alot of negative attention. It seems to come from the fact that the handle doe's not roll as freely as others. The rolling thunder , as far as I know is the standard for rolling deadlift handles. I care more about my p.r.'s on rolling thunder more then the godsofgrip handle or tribolite handle or silarukov handle. So why doe's it matter how freely the other handles spin? I realize that the freer the spin the harder to hold onto, So that could make you stronger for the Ironmind handle. 

It's not that more or less spinning is the holy grail, it's that the rolling thunder has the largest variation between handles, and this make comparing lifts in different locations difficult. Most other handles, by both using steel for construction and having a smaller central axle are able to remain much more consistent. 

A smaller factor is that due to the surface of the rolling handle being plastic, it is able to deform under moderate to high loads and this further alters the consistency. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

What Mike said... you can not compare your RT lift to my RT lift if we lifted the same but on different handles... because the variable between each handle is so great it can be many many pounds different. The only way you can Truly trust a comparison with an RT is to compete on the exact same handle as someone else is using. 

This. In  person competition using the rolling handle is the only way to know how you stack up. Same environmental conditions, same day, same handle 

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I understand. It make's sense to me. I've notice the RT handle doe's not age very well , make sit hrd to compare a new handle to an older heavily used RT. 

This is really great stuff guys, thanks again for all the helpful information.

Has anyone tried the Titan equipment rolling handles ? 3 sizes 2'', 2,5'', and 3'' handles. Solid steel super heavy duty handles . The 3'' handle weighs about 13lbs lol.

they remind me of the FBBC handles, except the paint on the handles chips off pretty easy. Which does't  bother me.

price $39.99, for 3'' and 34.99 for 2.5'', and 29.99 for 2''.

You can modify the RT to be a bit more consistent. Drill two small holes at the end of each side of the handle. Spray lubricant in those holes. Tape them up with some electrical tape. The handle will spin great if you do that and you can just add more lubricant when you feel that you need to. It will increase the difficulty enormously. However it will not solve the problem with the plastic deforming under high load.

• 2 months later...

On 5/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, carlos joaquim said:

Thanks guys. I understand. It make's sense to me. I've notice the RT handle doe's not age very well , make sit hrd to compare a new handle to an older heavily used RT. 

This is really great stuff guys, thanks again for all the helpful information.

Old Topic, beating a dead horse, but my 0.02:

I've seen as much as 25 lb difference from the same generation, and close to the same age, Rolling Thunder for the same athlete. I was at a powerlifting meet and the gym owner called me over and had a RT loaded up and said try it- I did it and he was shocked. The weight was something stupid like 245 lbs waay over my best ever on my old worn-out RT handle. Both were same style.  I quizzed him on the handle and he said they rarely use it and its stored in a clean place.

I've heard other similar stories. 

Rolling Thunders are not equal. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being newer to grip training I had purchased a Rolling Thunder as my first rolling handle. After some research and getting a 2.5” Crusher, RGT, and One Hand Nightmare … the Rolling Thunder is definitely at the bottom of my list.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 5:12 PM, ZRMMA said:

Being newer to grip training I had purchased a Rolling Thunder as my first rolling handle. After some research and getting a 2.5” Crusher, RGT, and One Hand Nightmare … the Rolling Thunder is definitely at the bottom of my list.

Thanks for sharing this! How would you rate your handles in order or are they fairly similar? Also do you like your 1H NN handle and would you reccomend it? 

• Like 1

Something I find odd about Ironmind and the RT is that all of the other products I've bought off them are great imo. Its just the RT that is the only meh product. I wonder if they would ever "retire" the old records which I believe Alexey Tyukalov holds and perhaps keep a modern record or leaderboard list so guys like Tanner and Adam could get on it. 

It was really eye opening when I saw a video of Jedd Johnson showing an old model RT(might of been the Juji vid?) and the lack of spin it had. Frankly the thing looked like a POS haha. To think that is what the 330lb WR was set on seems absolutely insane. On one hand if IM kept some kind of new top 100 leaderboard maybe they could sell more RT's and help their bottom line. On the flip side if they did that it could be some sort of admission of guilt that they sold an inferior product so I could see how it could go either way. 

3 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks for sharing this! How would you rate your handles in order or are they fairly similar? Also do you like your 1H NN handle and would you reccomend it? 

I would definitely recommend the One Hand Nightmare. It’s a great price in my opinion and the ability to swap out different sized handles makes it hard to beat.
-RGT is well built and smooth. It’s a tough handle and across the board I’d say most or all would lift less on it than the other 3 handles I own. The handle has more of a hard plastic feel but it’s good quality and doesn’t come off as cheap like the Rolling Thunder. 
-The 2.5” Crusher is just a beast. I think mine weighs around 8.5lbs or so.  It also develops a little natural rust like a Little Bighorn and seasons up nice. 

It would be tough for me to place those three handles in an order. I kinda like them all for different reasons and they’re all great. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ZRMMA said:

I would definitely recommend the One Hand Nightmare. It’s a great price in my opinion and the ability to swap out different sized handles makes it hard to beat.
-RGT is well built and smooth. It’s a tough handle and across the board I’d say most or all would lift less on it than the other 3 handles I own. The handle has more of a hard plastic feel but it’s good quality and doesn’t come off as cheap like the Rolling Thunder. 
-The 2.5” Crusher is just a beast. I think mine weighs around 8.5lbs or so.  It also develops a little natural rust like a Little Bighorn and seasons up nice. 

It would be tough for me to place those three handles in an order. I kinda like them all for different reasons and they’re all great. 

Thanks alot for the feedback bro this really helps! Agreed about the NN the fact you can swap out handles is super convenient. 

The RGT is interesting because all I ever heard since getting into grip is that the Crusher is king! But since the RGT emerged it sounds like maybe their is competition which is great for the sport!

• Like 1