Masters of metal, agents of steel

David_wigren

10mm x 7.5" rebar braced1034067200_20220801_1226192.thumb.jpg.b48306be4178e457b9720be39e6a777c.jpg

8.8mm x 4.5" nail braced (failed)

2147148887_20220801_1250442.thumb.jpg.d3168787c0e8e5af1dc5c414766cd1a2.jpg

Also attempted a 12mm x 32.5cm rebar but only managed a slight kink. Will be a good iso bar

• Like 4

NICE WORK 

• Thanks 1

Damn near almost killed myself bending this bar. Unfortunately I went over the time limit with 15 seconds. But I have anotjer one of these and I’m sure I can do it next time. I also think this stock is a little harder than average so if I get more I think I’ll have a better shot at it.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

That is one crazy bend David! 

Thank you Anton! I was so disappointed when I reviewed the video and saw that it was 15 seconds over XD. 

• Like 1

@David_wigren Next time!

I have been sick with high fever, so there has been two and a half week with almost no training. This is my first day that I feel almost 100% recovered. Did two 16mm braced bars. Finally under 20 inches.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

@David_wigren Next time!

I have been sick with high fever, so there has been two and a half week with almost no training. This is my first day that I feel almost 100% recovered. Did two 16mm braced bars. Finally under 20 inches.

Strong! Not many have broken the 20” barrier with 16mm or 5/8”. Also good to see that your shoulder has healed up and doesn’t seem to bother your sweep now. 

• Like 1

@David_wigren Thanks! My shoulder is almost fully recovered. Very happy about that.
I have improved my technique watching your videos. With this style I think risk of injury is smaller.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

@David_wigren Next time!

Super strong bending! Glad to hear your shoulder is better. Can't wait to see how you progress. Im going to get some 16mm hrs soon so the chase will be on 😁💪

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Super strong bending! Glad to hear your shoulder is better. Can't wait to see how you progress. Im going to get some 16mm hrs soon so the chase will be on 😁💪

Thank you Siamak! Yeah, I'm grateful for being injury free and that I did not lose any strenght during the time.

Sounds good! I bet you and me are pretty much even right now braced.
I'm not that comfortable going shorter on 16mm bars. But maybe I will try 17 or 18 inch soon. Better yet would be a harder batch or 18mm bar.

• Like 1

VERY IMPRESSIVE

Looks like a lot of pain 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:40 PM, John Knowlton said:

VERY IMPRESSIVE

Looks like a lot of pain 

It's common to be sore a couple of days after :D

I bet, it looks like it takes a lot to do that 

• Like 1

12mm x 14.5" (214.4k) in single WOG wraps

12mm x 13" (243k) failed cert.  Only managed to kink it and got stuck on the sweep/crush. @Lennix managed to finish it off in like 3s 😂

12mm x 9" HRS failed braced

20220806_172029.thumb.jpg.a6b0fe1eca2e32509e1d52da3487f8f9.jpg

• Like 6

Way cool

• Like 1

12mm x 15" Rebar

20220812_123319.thumb.jpg.9f8bb1c613c8d693cd10c93d6fcc4e1d.jpg

16mm x 20" HRS

1217239126_20220812_1303212.thumb.jpg.e041dd08355a656a13b4b0c33d322d0e.jpg

12mm x 10" HRS

20220812_133258.thumb.jpg.526f88b6f7d0a966e3275b1178ffd29f.jpg

• Like 2

Finally a bend that will put me on the 1st spot on the 20mm list! 20mm x 30.75” for the old school braced bending list.

And 12mm x 11” S275 rated 313.5k for the rated steel bar list of spike length bars. This exceeds my current bend of 307k.

Now I just need to get my hands on some 19mm or 3/4” and I should be able to take the 1st spot on that aswell. I failed a 22mm x 46” last week, which would’ve put me on the first spot on that list aswell. But the longer bars eludes me a little since the techniques I use are not as efficient on those. I need to practice other techniques in order to progress with the 22mm steel.

I also need to get my hands on some rated short 6” stock. 

And then I think I will have managed to take the 1st spot on every single braced bar list that’s ever been held. There might be some certs/lists the easterners are doing that I’m not familiar with. I think they are mostly just doing super short stuff with mega wraps. I might have to look into that sometime. I’ve seen some of the eastern benders do some really impressive stuff with short braced. But I’d only be interested if it’s with rated stock. Some of the hrs from the eastern countries are really not the same as the stuff we are using from Sweden and the US. Not a fair comparison at all IMO unless the steel is rated.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Finally a bend that will put me on the 1st spot on the 20mm list! 20mm x 30.75” for the old school braced bending list.

And 12mm x 11” S275 rated 313.5k for the rated steel bar list of spike length bars. This exceeds my current bend of 307k.

Now I just need to get my hands on some 19mm or 3/4” and I should be able to take the 1st spot on that aswell. I failed a 22mm x 46” last week, which would’ve put me on the first spot on that list aswell. But the longer bars eludes me a little since the techniques I use are not as efficient on those. I need to practice other techniques in order to progress with the 22mm steel.

I also need to get my hands on some rated short 6” stock. 

And then I think I will have managed to take the 1st spot on every single braced bar list that’s ever been held. There might be some certs/lists the easterners are doing that I’m not familiar with. I think they are mostly just doing super short stuff with mega wraps. I might have to look into that sometime. I’ve seen some of the eastern benders do some really impressive stuff with short braced. But I’d only be interested if it’s with rated stock. Some of the hrs from the eastern countries are really not the same as the stuff we are using from Sweden and the US. Not a fair comparison at all IMO unless the steel is rated.

Nothing short of monumental!

I really hope your bending progress ignites the braced benders, both new and old, to chase higher goals and push the ceiling yet again. 

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:20 PM, David_wigren said:

. Some of the hrs from the eastern countries are really not the same as the stuff we are using from Sweden and the US. Not a fair comparison at all IMO unless the steel is rated.

Hi David. I've tried US HRS stock when I worked in Mexican Gulf in 2015-2017, I've tried EU stock when I worked in North Sea, stock from West and South Africa, Persian Gulf, India. Just few days ago I've tried Singaporean stock HRS. Its pretty same steel which we have in Russia and Ukraine, I didn't find much differences.

10 hours ago, IvanYastrebov said:

Hi David. I've tried US HRS stock when I worked in Mexican Gulf in 2015-2017, I've tried EU stock when I worked in North Sea, stock from West and South Africa, Persian Gulf, India. Just few days ago I've tried Singaporean stock HRS. Its pretty same steel which we have in Russia and Ukraine, I didn't find much differences.

I’m sure most stock is the relatively the same. However, some stock seem to be ALOT softer. That’s simply my experience. I’ve never encountered soft hrs from Sweden or the US. But some of the hrs from Russia and Greece that I’ve bent have been softer by a significant margin. For example, The 20mm x 30.75” I bent the other day would probably rate around 320kg on David Horne’s scale. And the old 20mm x 31” from Greece I bent in 2011 I would estimate to 230-240kg. That’s actually why I quit braced bar bending in 2011. Because I noticed how soft some of the eastern steel was and I no longer saw any point in competing. But these days we have rated bars, so now we can compare against each other more honestly. If you can bend big steel, yet struggle with rated bars. Then that’s a pretty good giveaway that your hrs has been weak.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I’m sure most stock is the relatively the same. However, some stock seem to be ALOT softer. That’s simply my experience. I’ve never encountered soft hrs from Sweden or the US. But some of the hrs from Russia and Greece that I’ve bent have been softer by a significant margin. For example, The 20mm x 30.75” I bent the other day would probably rate around 320kg on David Horne’s scale. And the old 20mm x 31” from Greece I bent in 2011 I would estimate to 230-240kg. That’s actually why I quit braced bar bending in 2011. Because I noticed how soft some of the eastern steel was and I no longer saw any point in competing. But these days we have rated bars, so now we can compare against each other more honestly. If you can bend big steel, yet struggle with rated bars. Then that’s a pretty good giveaway that your hrs has been weak.

My point is about the fact, that it is incorrect to say that HRS is in one country much tougher than in other countries, especially since most countries export steel to other countries, and you will not trace the original place. It's more logical, to mention a steel grade, and not just HRS, but I doubt that this will be of interest to anyone. As for the calibrations, this is also a big question. I think around 5 years ago, there were heated debates in the russian community regarding calibration. One man made himself a calibration machine and installed Iron Grip bars into it. The results were much higher than stated. For example, a 220 kg bar showed 300+ kg on a dynamometer . The fact is that even calibration may show different results. It all depends on whether free weight is used in the setup, or dynamometer, what holds and what angles, and so on. I believe that David Horn's Old time rating is good for international community, because the lightest steel is taken as the essence. IMO is that counting kg on HRS rods does not make sense. David's rated steel it's good for UK/EU, maybe US, but shipping let say to my home in Sevastopol, the place full under sanctions for over years it will cost hundreds of USD to get beast bars here? I really doubt it reasonable. You read that steel is softer in Russia/Ukraine, that's your right. I can also pack to you a couple of 22mm HRS bars in November, when I got home from my trip. If still some post works between our countries. It was the same stock that I tried in 2015 on the video, I was not particularly trained with braced bending, I used them mainly for warming up before horseshoes, so it should still be in the garage. Maybe you will find some differences, as I didn't.