Masters of metal, agents of steel

David_wigren

Mathtersth of metal, agenths of stheel!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DO Bending: 

2x7mm nails 7" in doubles easy

Horrido 10.9 bolt prekinked 10 degrees to over 90 degrees. Got stuck at the sweep as most steel lately. Me loosing weight havent done wonders for my crush. Need to learn the sweep better DO. Happy with the progress. 

8mm rebar 10" singles pritty easy. 

Ironmind Gold Nail no movement, but! I feel I can get it into a position where I am 80-85% strong. With some training at longer bars I am sure I'll have it soon in doubles. 

• Like 6

Warmup

7mm x 7" nail x 3: Done in 3/4 cordura. Easy bends but it flared up my index knuckle injury again! 

Training

8mm x 7" hard stainless from @Slippery Pete to 95 degrees DO. This was a surprise since I thought my DO bending had gotten weaker. Now I know my weak spot lies in the sweep and crush.

Finished off with some wrist levers

20210610_145304.jpg

• Like 5

DO Bending double leathers 

8mm rebar gold nail size 

8mm rebar 3x gold nail size last one 9.5" 

Gold nail 10 degrees in like 10 min 

Cool to be able to kink it!

• Like 3

Congrats on the gold nail movement! 

• Thanks 1

King’s shield yesterday. Took third place overall behind Reuben and Simon. But those two are most likely cyborgs so I’m not sure their results should count. I’m declaring myself to be the best human.

For the contest, you were allowed to do the events in any order you like. This is the order of events I chose to do. All bends had to be done with Horne wraps, which are slightly thinner than Ironmind pads, but grippier.

6” 12.9 bolt 188kg wraps touching DU bent past 40 degrees in 3 seconds. DU felt VERY strong today. I was absolutely smashing my warmup bars and could tell it was going to go well. Gave me 2nd place in that event behind Kirill.

6” grade 8 bolt 207kg wraps touching reverse bent past 40 degrees in 21 seconds. Happy I finished. My reverse has been weaker the past month or so. I don’t know exactly why. These grade 8 bolts are the hardest ever rated, harder than some of the previous red nails cut to 6”. But they should still go down easy for me. 2nd place behind Simon.

6” grade 8 bolt 207kg snap whilst laying on the floor. Snapped in 32.5 seconds. Very good time for me. Massive PR for me. Burnt my thumb pad from the heat of the bolt. 3rd place.

13” 12mm 256.6 braced bend. Did it in 14 seconds. Me, Simon and Reuben were separated by 3 seconds. For me, I think I would’ve benefited if the bar was harder. For me, the kink is very easy but I always seem to move the bar slower during the crushdown, even when the crush feels easy. Still, this was a PR for me. 3rd place.

25” 16mm 242kg. Did it in 42 seconds. Again, me Simon and Reuben were separated by 4 seconds and I ended up being the slowest of the field. Again, I think I would’ve benefited if the bar was harder. Also a PR bend for me because I haven’t bent many rated mid bars lately. 3rd place.

7” 8.8 bolt 305kg snap. 1 min 23 seconds. Massive PR for me. Previously it took about 3 minutes.

Five 65 mm oval nail snap. 6 min 12 seconds. In training I was consistently getting around 4 minutes. But the wraps I used had torn and I used another set of wraps that behaved differently. It was from an old wrap setup from Horne, but thinner. I thought the thinner wrap would help get a tighter bend and thus help it snap quicker. But what ended up happening was the wraps coming undone and bunching up so it became impossible to open up the nail further without pulling the wrap. Big underperformance for me. 4th place.

6” grade 5 137kg triple snap. 13 min 3 seconds. Very happy with this performance! In training it had been very much hit or miss. I was very careful toward the end. Snapping one side too early would’ve ruined the whole event. 4th place. 

F630034B-AD64-42AC-88B5-6DADECDFFDA7.jpeg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

King’s shield yesterday. Took third place overall behind Reuben and Simon. But those two are most likely cyborgs so I’m not sure their results should count. I’m declaring myself to be the best human.

For the contest, you were allowed to do the events in any order you like. This is the order of events I chose to do. All bends had to be done with Horne wraps, which are slightly thinner than Ironmind pads, but grippier.

6” 12.9 bolt 188kg wraps touching DU bent past 40 degrees in 3 seconds. DU felt VERY strong today. I was absolutely smashing my warmup bars and could tell it was going to go well. Gave me 2nd place in that event behind Kirill.

6” grade 8 bolt 207kg wraps touching reverse bent past 40 degrees in 21 seconds. Happy I finished. My reverse has been weaker the past month or so. I don’t know exactly why. These grade 8 bolts are the hardest ever rated, harder than some of the previous red nails cut to 6”. But they should still go down easy for me. 2nd place behind Simon.

6” grade 8 bolt 207kg snap whilst laying on the floor. Snapped in 32.5 seconds. Very good time for me. Massive PR for me. Burnt my thumb pad from the heat of the bolt. 3rd place.

13” 12mm 256.6 braced bend. Did it in 14 seconds. Me, Simon and Reuben were separated by 3 seconds. For me, I think I would’ve benefited if the bar was harder. For me, the kink is very easy but I always seem to move the bar slower during the crushdown, even when the crush feels easy. Still, this was a PR for me. 3rd place.

25” 16mm 242kg. Did it in 42 seconds. Again, me Simon and Reuben were separated by 4 seconds and I ended up being the slowest of the field. Again, I think I would’ve benefited if the bar was harder. Also a PR bend for me because I haven’t bent many rated mid bars lately. 3rd place.

7” 8.8 bolt 305kg snap. 1 min 23 seconds. Massive PR for me. Previously it took about 3 minutes.

Five 65 mm oval nail snap. 6 min 12 seconds. In training I was consistently getting around 4 minutes. But the wraps I used had torn and I used another set of wraps that behaved differently. It was from an old wrap setup from Horne, but thinner. I thought the thinner wrap would help get a tighter bend and thus help it snap quicker. But what ended up happening was the wraps coming undone and bunching up so it became impossible to open up the nail further without pulling the wrap. Big underperformance for me. 4th place.

6” grade 5 137kg triple snap. 13 min 3 seconds. Very happy with this performance! In training it had been very much hit or miss. I was very careful toward the end. Snapping one side too early would’ve ruined the whole event. 4th place. 

F630034B-AD64-42AC-88B5-6DADECDFFDA7.jpeg

Really a great performance! Strong everywhere. Your snapping improved tremendously. Congrats!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 2:13 PM, Donc101 said:

Really a great performance! Strong everywhere. Your snapping improved tremendously. Congrats!

Thank you Don! Yeah, I realized that improving my snapping would be the best strategic approach. I was already close in the traditional bending events and had alot more to gain by improving my snapping.

• Like 1

DO 

7mm nails 210mm x2 

8mm CRS HEX single leathers PR 

Gold nail prekinked 10 degree no movement 

10.9 ISO crush moved around 15 degrees to 70mm between ends. 

Gold nail is really eating my wrists, so hard on them! 

• Like 2

Had to try bend 2 g5 166k bolts together. Couldn't finish it though. Easier then I thought. 

IMG_20210616_211726_547.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/16/2021 at 10:36 PM, Lennix said:

Had to try bend 2 g5 166k bolts together. Couldn't finish it though. Easier then I thought. 

IMG_20210616_211726_547.jpg

So weak

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snapping in 3/4 (9") cordura

5mm x 6" nail

7mm x 7" nail

Red Nail ~ 20 mins, brutal on the skin and slippery as hell

20210619_141218.jpg

• Like 3

Snapped the Horrido 10.9 bolt. Took about 10-12 minutes. Excellent cardio! Will have to get stronger before I can get it under 5 minutes.

A3D66E0F-1585-4887-AF75-E3BA11BB2A70.jpeg

• Like 4

I thought we were supposed to take over the world. Now we’re snapping stuff. What the hell happened to us?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I thought we were supposed to take over the world. Now we’re snapping stuff. What the hell happened to us?

It's unbelivable to me. What's going on in the holy north?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Failed a braced 4.5” 12.9 bolt. Took about 6 minutes to get it to this point. I gave it another couple attempts after some rest time but I couldn’t move it any further. Feels good thiugh because last time I attempted it I failed to even kink it. This time it felt like I would’ve gotten it had it not gone a bit off center.

5CAD7984-25F8-4A7A-8F52-CC72638E8B08.jpeg

• Like 4

10mm HRS 21.2cm/8 3/8" x1 

9.5mm same length rebar no movement 

• Like 4

Snapped a 6.5” 8.8 bolt. It was under 5 minutes but I forgot to messure it with a caliper so it was not good for a cert. I also attempted to take Simons WR for fastest bend of six 6” x 1/4 grade 5 bolts DU with Horne wraps touching. Missed it by half a second. Accidentally dropped one of the bolts which cost me some time. Couldn’t do anything right 😅

3DBBA727-2768-463E-9D7B-1A5624124338.jpeg

814482A3-07DF-4E2D-B138-E78F9F62755E.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Snapped a 6.5” 8.8 bolt. It was under 5 minutes but I forgot to messure it with a caliper so it was not good for a cert. I also attempted to take Simons WR for fastest bend of six 6” x 1/4 grade 5 bolts DU with Horne wraps touching. Missed it by half a second. Accidentally dropped one of the bolts which cost me some time. Couldn’t do anything right 😅

3DBBA727-2768-463E-9D7B-1A5624124338.jpeg

814482A3-07DF-4E2D-B138-E78F9F62755E.jpeg

Strong bends! More focus next time and you will get them both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

Strong bends! More focus next time and you will get them both.

Might not be a next time for the grade 5 bolts but the snap will happen no doubt.

Nursing a baby and a knuckle injury so I opted for some easy braced bends

12mm x 15.75" hrs

12mm x 19" 163k hrs kinked using @David_wigren signature kink-sweep method. Pretty good way to start but the bar was a little bit too long for this method

8mm x 6" rebar leg crushed

Finished with some horseshoe crush down isos (8x21 2x0 side clipped)

20210703_135430.jpg

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Nursing a baby and a knuckle injury so I opted for some easy braced bends

12mm x 15.75" hrs

12mm x 19" 163k hrs kinked using @David_wigren signature kink-sweep method. Pretty good way to start but the bar was a little bit too long for this method

8mm x 6" rebar leg crushed

Finished with some horseshoe crush down isos (8x21 2x0 side clipped)

20210703_135430.jpg

Strong work, brother!

DO

3x6mm nail 

1x7mm nail 

145mm rebar 

Horrido 10.9 cert attempt failed at 90mm but best attempt so far! 

Left wrist is complaining about the crush, thought it was gone but nope. 

• Like 4

Massive work Thom! I can’t do shit on a 10.9 DO.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Massive work Thom! I can’t do shit on a 10.9 DO.

Soon you will when you start to train DO 😂 still need to do the 8.8 in singles so I can tie your all-time best(ish)

• Like 2