Estimated lbs increase on filed CoC gripper

Weakman

Does anyone know how many lbs increase one can count of when filing a gripper? Of course it depends on how much filing one does but lets assume something similar to what Cannon provides in his filing service.

What lbs range are we talking here, 10, 5, 3 or even less lbs? From my experience, a 3 lbs deviation (on non-filed grippers) significantly changes my performance on a gripper.

Short story; I close my #3 (RGC 155) but I don't close my #3 (RGC 161, filed). However I am closer to close my #3.5 (RGC 171) than the filed gripper. I just think that I should be able to close the filed one.

This probably have been discussed before but the search engine gave me nothing of value. 

The filed gripper is harder even not counting the weight because of the increased range. Even if you had a filed and non filed gripper with the same exact RGC, the normal gripper would be easier to close. RGC isn't everything, it's just a rough indicator. Spread and sweep are also huge factors in how hard a gripper feels. 

• Like 1

Totally depends on how much it's been filed. If it's like cannopowerworks does it. I would say up 10 lbs. But @Cannon can give you a more exact number.

• Like 1

The same amount of filing will add different amounts based on the strength of the spring. For the amount of filing we do, the amount added to an IronMind gripper (just for example as it is the most popular to be filed):

Guide through #0.5 = 3-5 lbs

#1 through #2.5 = 5-7 lbs

#3 through #4 = 10 to 13 lbs

Just to give an idea. It’s pretty consistent though. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your inputs! Even though the RGC doesn't seem to be the only parameter I still have something to estimate upon. Also nice to have some numbers when considering purchase of filed grippers. 👍