Short steel estimated ratings/calibrations

devinhoo

On 11/8/2022 at 9:11 AM, devinhoo said:

Going to try and rate this thing. No promises it’ll budge. Had to buy new supplies for my rating rig to accommodate the diameter. Might have to rate it at 9” (or 12”) and go from there.

60B6CCCA-2CEF-4DB6-AC92-D89CD546B30B.jpeg

If anyone has steel that they want to know the numbers for, let me know! I’ve mostly been calibrating my own stock, but I’m always on the hunt for new steel to rate.

Rating for this bar ended up being 1025 lbs! I found some 7/16" HRS as well and rated it at 845. Pretty signifiant difference between CRS and HRS.

image.thumb.jpeg.3790c089f0e6b6aeb5ca0b080d6b5cfc.jpeg

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 2

That 7/16 is a MOAB right? I wanna brace bend it so badly now 😁

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

That 7/16 is a MOAB right? I wanna brace bend it so badly now 😁

Yep, 7/16" x 7" is the Mother of All Bastards. However as far as I know FBBC uses 1018 cold rolled, and this was just from the hardware store. Not totally sure what alloy they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's, but at least I can tell visually what is cold rolled and what is hot rolled.

image.thumb.jpeg.4ff37d4537afc42e515be3fea564a226.jpeg

At 3/8" x 7" those three rated 730 / 690 / 540 respectively.

Edited by devinhoo

• 4 weeks later...

@devinhoo have you rated any bolts from Lowes, I'm assuming they are G2's.. 6"x1/4" and all they have for markings is HAZ YC.

Might give one a go on Thursday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

@devinhoo have you rated any bolts from Lowes, I'm assuming they are G2's.. 6"x1/4" and all they have for markings is HAZ YC.

Might give one a go on Thursday.

I have not personally rated one, but there are a few 1/4" x 6" grade 2's have been rated that were all around 200-210 lbs.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, devinhoo said:

I have not personally rated one, but there are a few 1/4" x 6" grade 2's have been rated that were all around 200-210 lbs.

Thats what I saw on your site. Was just curious.   Thank you!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, deadgrip said:

hi - can you guys link me to Aaron’s new ratings site if he has one?  seems like both are gone?  thanks

I think Devin @devinhoo incorporated those ratings into THIS sheet (rated by column, Via AZ Grip).

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 5:35 PM, deadgrip said:

hi - can you guys link me to Aaron’s new ratings site if he has one?  seems like both are gone?  thanks

I took the sites down. If anyone needs an export from the DB you can reach out to me. 

• 3 months later...

I have now calibrated over 115 steel bars, meaning that I am responsible for just over 1/4 of the ratings that I was able to find and put on my website. There is almost certainly data that I am missing, but it feels pretty cool to have expanded the known ratings by such a significant amount in a relatively short period of time.

Ranging from 35 lbs (a pencil) to 1,025 lbs (7/16” x 7” crs), this has put a lot of reps on my hand and thigh rig. I’ve earned some strange looks in the gym, but have have had the opportunity to use that as a springboard to grow the sport. Plus it has been a lot of fun throwing this much weight around.

4A865E01-30B2-4ABE-ABB4-7CD7A4D91B1D_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 10 months later...

Here's another video of the way I rate steel: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5vfBUWg7pi/

For anyone interested in rating steel it takes less to get started than you would think. Shopping list is two 10” pieces of chain, a shackle or quick link to connect them to something, two cable clamps, and another quick link/shackle to connect the bar to the weight. Bar is suspended from the two chains with the clamps centered at 3/4” from the ends, and hoisted up. 

I use a hand and thigh handle to lift the setup and a loading pin to hold the weight, but there are definitely other ways to apply force to the rig. Mike Krahling used a barbell to hold the weight, and I’ve lifted the weight with a dip belt like a hip lift. I’ve even seen more mechanical rigs that use leverage like the one Gil Goodman built. 

I pick a weight that is much lower than I expect the bar to rate so that I don’t overshoot, and then go up slowly. If there is no absolutely deflection on the bar I sometimes go up by 25 kg / 55 lbs, but if the bar bends a little I go up by 10 kg / 25 lbs until the bar gets to around 20°, then I switch go going up by 5 kg / 10 lbs, and for the last few degrees I go up by 2.5 kg / 5 lb increments until the bar reaches 30°.

s642631508134596974_p111_i1_w886.jpeg?wi

On 11/25/2022 at 4:27 AM, devinhoo said:

Yep, 7/16" x 7" is the Mother of All Bastards. However as far as I know FBBC uses 1018 cold rolled, and this was just from the hardware store. Not totally sure what alloy they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's, but at least I can tell visually what is cold rolled and what is hot rolled.

image.thumb.jpeg.4ff37d4537afc42e515be3fea564a226.jpeg

At 3/8" x 7" those three rated 730 / 690 / 540 respectively.

It took some searching, but I figured out what kind of steel they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's. Lowe's Hillman CRS is 1008, Home Depot Everbilt CRS is 1009, and  Home Depo Everbilt HRS is Q195.

image.png.99b89c992d305d779071b711a753c32f.png

image.png.9c09f3cbcd3ef30253467ca81b8fc7fd.png

image.png.12bbfabe766805885a95f85d78b8704a.png

• Like 1