Sweating alot while grip training.

carlos joaquim

Was wondering if anyone else sweats like crazy while grip training? Much more them regular training. Thanks grippers lol.

In a word, no, but I've got thoughts to share! It depends for me on the size of the lift and duration i suppose. A sledge lever won't get me as warm as a DOH deadlift due to the muscles involved. An isometric like a hangboard hang isn't too sweaty when doing max hangs, but repeaters will get sweat going. 10RM always warmer than 3RM in a pinch.

I entered grip from the climbing world where friction, ambient temps and humidity are pretty normal to consider. In the Rock Climbers Training Manual there's a whole section on dealing with those aspects - including narrative and setup for training inside a shipping container in Afghanistan.

So i set up my usual training space with a dehumidifier. The climate doesn't demand much in climate control. If it did I'd likely have a fan running nearby to dry my hands. Powdered and liquid chalk are always on hand, plus a towel. Home or gym these come in the bag.

Now I do not have particularly sweaty hands - but this is something discussed again in the climbing realm - where people even take certain measures - chemical/physiological to reduce hand sweating. If i lived or trained in a warmer place I imagine I'd use some wrist sweat bands to keep drips from the forearms off the palms and fingers - a la @AdamTGlass. When i trained in a warm S&C facility I'd struggle with keeping the hands dry even for single reps in the Oly lifts...and I wasn't clever enough to get some sweatbands...

On 5/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, Phil S said:

In a word, no, but I've got thoughts to share! It depends for me on the size of the lift and duration i suppose. A sledge lever won't get me as warm as a DOH deadlift due to the muscles involved. An isometric like a hangboard hang isn't too sweaty when doing max hangs, but repeaters will get sweat going. 10RM always warmer than 3RM in a pinch.

I entered grip from the climbing world where friction, ambient temps and humidity are pretty normal to consider. In the Rock Climbers Training Manual there's a whole section on dealing with those aspects - including narrative and setup for training inside a shipping container in Afghanistan.

So i set up my usual training space with a dehumidifier. The climate doesn't demand much in climate control. If it did I'd likely have a fan running nearby to dry my hands. Powdered and liquid chalk are always on hand, plus a towel. Home or gym these come in the bag.

Now I do not have particularly sweaty hands - but this is something discussed again in the climbing realm - where people even take certain measures - chemical/physiological to reduce hand sweating. If i lived or trained in a warmer place I imagine I'd use some wrist sweat bands to keep drips from the forearms off the palms and fingers - a la @AdamTGlass. When i trained in a warm S&C facility I'd struggle with keeping the hands dry even for single reps in the Oly lifts...and I wasn't clever enough to get some sweatbands...

Hi Phil. thanks for the interest. I don't have very sweaty hands thankfully. Chalk work very well. But the wrist sweat bands are a good idea. If it's good enough for the grip monster , then it's good enough for me lol.

I don't sweat more by doing grip. However grip training can be extremely taxing on the CNS. So don't underestimate what you're doing, just because the musles are small doesn't mean you're not taxing your system. Especially if you do high rep stuff like wrist rollers, that can make you sweat just like any exercise in my experience.