Is Closing Any #3 Gripper A Worldclass Feat?

RSW

Is closing ANY Ironmind Coc #3 Gripper a Worldclass Feat?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Is closing ANY Ironmind Coc #3 Gripper a Worldclass Feat?

• Yes.
    • NO!

54 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Not world class by todays standards in my opinion. #3.5 (not the recent easier ones) are world class I think.

What is considered "world class" is mostly subjective. However if you look at competition results the data suggests that a gripper close above 180 lbs RGC using a 20 mm block should be considered "world class".

I'd love to be able to say that closing a COC 3 is world class, but nah.  In my mind, world class is something beyond the reach of all but the most talented and hard-working.  MLB baseball players; seeded pro tennis players making a living off their winnings; actors who make $20 million per film; musicians who sell out MSG -- they are "world class" at their things.  I think that less than 1 per cent of people who are in the competitive pool for the thing should be deemed "world class" at it, for world class to be much of a distinction beyond, "Oh, yeah, (s)he's pretty good at that."  So in a sport where maybe a few thousands of folks are participating worldwide, literally hundreds (and not just 100 or 200) have closed a COC 3.  Very roughly (by order of magnitude, not precise at all) that's like 10 per cent of people who care -- meaning, not anywhere near everyone but also not just 1 per cent either.  Anyone who closes a COC 3 is "pretty good at" grippers.  Yes.  But world class?  I think that honor should be reserved for fewer folks.  

It all depends on your definition of course.  If by world class you just mean among the top half of the people trying (the best half of people in the world), then sure, COC 3 would cut it -- but then why bother discussing it.  If you want to say top 10 per cent is "world class," I think then you could try to make a case for COC 3 closers, but I think top 10 per cent is not that distinctive.  

Not to take away from the feat - I'm proud of having done it, for sure.  Like, it means a lot to me, up there among my favorite achievements of my whole life.  But I don't think I am world class for it.  Now certing the 3.5 (Tanner and a few others), closing the MM7 (chez and a few others) or MM9 (Shamey) -- now we are talking world class, in my opinion.

• Like 5

World class in my opinion would be a coc 4 ccs close, a millennium dumbbell lift, old school york 45's plate pinch and a 45 lbs plate curl maybe even a plate wrist curl.

World class means top 1% or less.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'd love to be able to say that closing a COC 3 is world class, but nah.  In my mind, world class is something beyond the reach of all but the most talented and hard-working.  MLB baseball players; seeded pro tennis players making a living off their winnings; actors who make $20 million per film; musicians who sell out MSG -- they are "world class" at their things.  I think that less than 1 per cent of people who are in the competitive pool for the thing should be deemed "world class" at it, for world class to be much of a distinction beyond, "Oh, yeah, (s)he's pretty good at that."  So in a sport where maybe a few thousands of folks are participating worldwide, literally hundreds (and not just 100 or 200) have closed a COC 3.  Very roughly (by order of magnitude, not precise at all) that's like 10 per cent of people who care -- meaning, not anywhere near everyone but also not just 1 per cent either.  Anyone who closes a COC 3 is "pretty good at" grippers.  Yes.  But world class?  I think that honor should be reserved for fewer folks.  

It all depends on your definition of course.  If by world class you just mean among the top half of the people trying (the best half of people in the world), then sure, COC 3 would cut it -- but then why bother discussing it.  If you want to say top 10 per cent is "world class," I think then you could try to make a case for COC 3 closers, but I think top 10 per cent is not that distinctive.  

Not to take away from the feat - I'm proud of having done it, for sure.  Like, it means a lot to me, up there among my favorite achievements of my whole life.  But I don't think I am world class for it.  Now certing the 3.5 (Tanner and a few others), closing the MM7 (chez and a few others) or MM9 (Shamey) -- now we are talking world class, in my opinion.

I distinguish between "world class" and "elite". For me elite means that you are in the absolute top of something. But you necessarily don't have to be in the elite to accomplish something "world class" in my opinion. Sometimes a tennis player ranked 150 can do a really world class performance by beating the #5 in the world or something but that doesn't mean he's in the elite. Same way as a golfer can do a hole in one without really being one of the very best in the world.

But it's all semantics....

For me closing a #3.5 ( a harder one) is a world class feat of grip strength but it's not elite. To be in the elite you need to close at least a #4 or equal gripper. I would say 200 lbs RGC would be the barrier for todays standards.

When this thread was started almost 20 years ago, it might have looked completely different. There's way more people closing grippers like that today.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

World class in my opinion would be a coc 4 ccs close, a millennium dumbbell lift, old school york 45's plate pinch and a 45 lbs plate curl maybe even a plate wrist curl.

World class means top 1% or less.

Top 1% would probably be a 3.5 CCS close.  Assuming there are 1000-2000 people training grippers (I think there are at least that), and no one official but maybe 1-2 capable of a CCS close of a 4, that would be one tenth of one per cent.  10-20 COC 3.5 certs would be top 1 per cent.

But now we are splitting hairs over things almost no one can do, so that's the right ballpark.  A COC 3, that is decent but not top 1 per cent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Top 1% would probably be a 3.5 CCS close.  Assuming there are 1000-2000 people training grippers (I think there are at least that), and no one official but maybe 1-2 capable of a CCS close of a 4, that would be one tenth of one per cent.  10-20 COC 3.5 certs would be top 1 per cent.

But now we are splitting hairs over things almost no one can do, so that's the right ballpark.  A COC 3, that is decent but not top 1 per cent.

I suck at Maths so yeah that was kinda expected.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've got nothing to add, other than I was just a fat 10 year old who played video games when this thread was made.

Pretty crazy to think about. I had just turned 11 years old and started 4th grade when this thread was made, some 18+ years ago. This forum has an immense history.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Pretty crazy to think about. I had just turned 11 years old and started 4th grade when this thread was made, some 18+ years ago. This forum has an immense history.

It was one day before my 6th birthday :D I'm amazed by the history of this forum day after day

• Like 3

Very cool guys.  Definitely a old and still kicking thread.right here. I'm glad to help put some new life in it. Whew 2003 is a pretty long life indeed🗡🥊😎

• Like 1

This thread is like peering into a time capsule !!!

Interesting to see the current NO vote is 53.5% . . . . .a lot has changed in 18 or so years (including the release of the CoC 3.5 - which I'd consider Elite but not quite World Class).

13 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

It was one day before my 6th birthday :D I'm amazed by the history of this forum day after day

wow....

yup  in 03, my grandpa died and my cat died within  a short span, tough year. My life was playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City on the PS2, now theres a PS5.

What amazes me is how there are still some members here from that era, that are still smashing goals....   I'm glad I discovered the grip sport.. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This thread was started a few months or so before I joined. Can’t believe I’ve been on here 18 years. 

No, it’s not world class. I can own a #3 and I’m not world class lol

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, king crusher said:

This thread was started a few months or so before I joined. Can’t believe I’ve been on here 18 years. 

Ahh but the thing is 3s have different strengths. Ive seen guys struggle with a 3.0 without a warmup that has a rgc strength of 155-160+. So I think that is saying something if a guy who has closed a weaker 4 and is a worldclass grip cant just easily crush a strong 3 all the time. It is world class. Ultra world class or top 5 I think would be to crush a 4 with ccs or No Set a 4. Im hearing thats what some are aiming for. I hope to get that strong one day :D. No setting a 4 would outclass a CCS close of a 4(Especially a 4 thats freshly rated at 220-230 RGC)

Also has anyone closed a GHP10 thats rated  in the 270-300lb range. Now that would make jaws drop  Worldwide in strength and grip circles :D

On 5/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, king crusher said:

I can close weak 3s in the 130s-140s. I mean closing the newer 3s 155-165 range# up :D.

My filed# 3.0 for example is RGC 157(25-30lbs stronger than the old 3s) . And Im about 2 inches or less from closing it. So you can see the strength of  a gripper is what makes it a  worldclass feat.

Edited by ShelluvstheMostHigh