Grip Training in the gym

Giggs

Hi Guys been a while since i been on here. (work has been mental) 
I wanted to ask a question. 
what are your impressions on me taking a loading pin and pinch block to my local gym and using it to train grip? 
I live in an apartment so heavy lifting is sort of out of the question. 
Just wanted to know your thoughts? 

If they let you, do it. Or if you have some spending cash...sorinex sells a pinch device called the clamshell, and you can pick up dumbbells with your pinch grip! Truly a great device.

• Like 1

Check with owner/manager that they're ok with it (depending on what type of gym it is, doing "unconventional" training can be frowned upon, as can using chalk). If there are already users doing strongman training, etc you should be fine - particularly when you explain your living arrangements

If they're ok with it be prepared for the inevitable "What are you doing?", "Why are you doing it?, "Can I give it a try?", "What muscles does that work?", "Whats you max lift / world record?" questions from regular users, staff, and the occasional random.  The plus side of this is that it is a great conversation starter - and fortunately the novelty value should disappear fairly quickly.

One thing worth remembering: When a heavy 2HP lift slips out of your fingers it can make a lot of noise and you could be "charged" with dropping weights. If the plates are taking a beating from the pinch block you might get spoken to. . .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gripmaniac said:

Check with owner/manager that they're ok with it (depending on what type of gym it is, doing "unconventional" training can be frowned upon, as can using chalk). If there are already users doing strongman training, etc you should be fine - particularly when you explain your living arrangements

If they're ok with it be prepared for the inevitable "What are you doing?", "Why are you doing it?, "Can I give it a try?", "What muscles does that work?", "Whats you max lift / world record?" questions from regular users, staff, and the occasional random.  The plus side of this is that it is a great conversation starter - and fortunately the novelty value should disappear fairly quickly.

One thing worth remembering: When a heavy 2HP lift slips out of your fingers it can make a lot of noise and you could be "charged" with dropping weights. If the plates are taking a beating from the pinch block you might get spoken to. . .

When you put it that way im probably gonna give it a miss and most likely just lug the weights down to the courtyard of my apartment building and do it there, its probs less hassle haha

15 hours ago, slazbob said:

If they let you, do it. Or if you have some spending cash...sorinex sells a pinch device called the clamshell, and you can pick up dumbbells with your pinch grip! Truly a great device.

I just looked into this , unfortunately sorinex dont do international shipping , they reccomend using a forwarding courier. probably cost me tonnes in shipping i might get a friend to buy one for me at some point as theyre so cool and then just ship it to me.
What im gonna do for now is buy some plates and then just lug them to the ground floor. 

probably get some funny looks from my neighbours hahah

31 minutes ago, Giggs said:

I just looked into this , unfortunately sorinex dont do international shipping , they reccomend using a forwarding courier. probably cost me tonnes in shipping i might get a friend to buy one for me at some point as theyre so cool and then just ship it to me.
What im gonna do for now is buy some plates and then just lug them to the ground floor. 

probably get some funny looks from my neighbours hahah

That’s a bummer because it’s take anywhere kinda tool.

and let the neighbors gawk haha

• Like 1

As long as your gym allows it go for it. I used to carry in my loading pin, pinch blocks, hub and neck harness and other things.

Id get people people curious as to what i was doing and some weird looks, especially when neck training but i couldnt care less what people think about me. 

If you gym does allow it just take it in and do your workout. Get you training done and dont overthink it. 

I really wish you could train at the gym I go to. I have been bringing my loading pin and all sorts of handles in for years. I do agree you will get a lot of strange looks and a ton of questions but its always welcomed. The Asylum is the gym I go to its located in Loves Park IL. Such a wide range of people train there.   

• Like 1