Hand gripper review: Captains of Crush

Terry Conjugate Iron

Here's a video review I did on the Captains of crush gripper line, hope you'll enjoy it!  

Edited by Terry Gripperaddicted
Forgot to attach the link
  • Like 6

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Terry

great review 

Appreciate it John! Grippers are definitely my favorite grip tools. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DevilErik said:

GRIPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Haha...

I need more 👀👀👀👀👀😐😐😐😐😐

13 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Appreciate it John! Grippers are definitely my favorite grip tools

ME TOO

• Like 1

I've got some on the way already, I have a severe problem with buying grippers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We all have OCGBD Obsessive Compulsive Gripper Buying Disorder.

• Haha 2

I have got 5 on the way

I found a Dutch website with some awesome grip tools their premium gripper set was on a huge discount with free shipping as well so I immediately jumped on it.

These will be my very first torsion spring grippers.

Life time warranty as well

65 euros for 5 grippers and 3 finger extensor elastic bands.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

We all have OCGBD Obsessive Compulsive Gripper Buying Disorder.

Haha it's true.... I'm always thinking of which brand to buy next 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I've got some on the way already, I have a severe problem with buying grippers

Nice man! What brand did you get? 

• Like 1

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Nice man! What brand did you get? 

I've got 6 coming in total, 4 Barabans and 2 Silarukovs, Looking forward to getting them as they're both really nice looking gripper brands

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I have got 5 on the way

I found a Dutch website with some awesome grip tools their premium gripper set was on a huge discount with free shipping as well so I immediately jumped on it.

These will be my very first torsion spring grippers.

Life time warranty as well

65 euros for 5 grippers and 3 finger extensor elastic bands.

What's the brand you bought?? There are so many... It's endless. Especially the Chinese stuff. 

Just now, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I've got 6 coming in total, 4 Barabans and 2 Silarukovs, Looking forward to getting them as they're both really nice looking gripper brands

2 brands I drool over daily lol

• Like 1

Terry I will have to post some pics have a few interesting grippers you will love. First I need to brush up on my photo skills I made the one post on insta and felt disappointed by the pic. 

Your UTube posts make it look so easy you are a natural. Keep up the good work spreading the word.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

What's the brand you bought?? There are so many... It's endless. Especially the Chinese stuff. 

They are called Golden Grippers.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Haha it's true.... I'm always thinking of which brand to buy next 🤔🤔🤔

I want to get CoC 3,3.5,4 and probably ghp 8,9 and 10 after this but then I will probably be done with buying grippers.

I don't do MMS or DS so I won't ever have to buy another gripper after getting them because no one has ever closed a GHP 10 with anything wider than the GHP block lol.

• Like 2

Most people swear by MMS but setting hurts my finger joints even when I am doing it right.

Also it just feels like I am handicapping myself I know that the last part of the range of motion is the most difficult but no matter what I do I just can't get used to setting and the close feels awkward as well.

Also my fingerjoints were hurting for 2 days straight after setting my vulcan and for some dumb reason it also zaps my  closing strength. 

Setting grippers actually hurts my closes despite setting with the opposite hand.

I am just a special little snowflake it seems lol.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Most people swear by MMS but setting hurts my finger joints even when I am doing it right.

Also it just feels like I am handicapping myself I know that the last part of the range of motion is the most difficult but no matter what I do I just can't get used to setting and the close feels awkward as well.

Also my fingerjoints were hurting for 2 days straight after setting my vulcan and for some dumb reason it also zaps my  closing strength. 

Setting grippers actually hurts my closes despite setting with the opposite hand.

I am just a special little snowflake it seems lol.

I will not and cannot say that there is anything wrong with deciding to train only no-set or credit-card-set closes.  Of course we all decide what we want to train.  But is it really possible that your close with a set is weaker than without one?  I feel like that would be comparable to saying "My rack pull is less than my deadlift."  I just ask this out of curiosity and not to suggest I think you should do anything differently.  We ARE all built a little differently, over the core similarities, and I'm no physiatrist.  It just sounds really counterintuitive to hear someone say wider is easier.

For me, I DID used to hate setting, and resisted doing it for a couple of years, until I was stuck closing RGC 149 and not 150.  I trained one day with Chez, and watched him set and accepted his advice on setting, and got a close on an RGC 153 that very day.  A year or so later I have closed RGC 165, and recently also certed the IM 3, which of course is with a credit card set, which I also could not do back when I resisted learning how to set for MMS.

I just wonder whether you are going through the anti-set phase I went through, and might actually benefit from learning to set better, but again, we ARE all different, and I say this just for your information, not to insist that you are wrong about yourself.  You'll be the judge of that.

I am going to keep MMS, CCS, and TNS all in my wheelhouse, because the combination has done more for me than just the wide set I used when I started.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

setting hurts my finger joints even when I am doing it right

It is true that setting harder grippers can be rough on some of the fingers.  Can't argue with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I will not and cannot say that there is anything wrong with deciding to train only no-set or credit-card-set closes.  Of course we all decide what we want to train.  But is it really possible that your close with a set is weaker than without one?  I feel like that would be comparable to saying "My rack pull is less than my deadlift."  I just ask this out of curiosity and not to suggest I think you should do anything different.  We ARE all built a little differently, over the core similarities, and I'm no physiatrist.  It just sounds really weird to hear someone say wider is easier.

For me, I DID used to hate setting, and resisted doing it for a couple of years, until I was stuck closing RGC 149 and not 150.  I trained one day with Chez, and watched him set and accepted his advise on setting, and got a close on an RGC 153 that very day.  A year or so later I have closed RGC 165, and recently also certed the IM 3, with a credit card set, which I also could not do back when I resisted learning how to set for MMS.

I just wonder whether you are going through the anti-set phase I went through, and might actually benefit from learning to set better, but again, we ARE all different, and I say this just for your information, not to insist that you are wrong about yourself.  You'll be the judge of that.

I am going to keep MMS, CCS, and TNS all in my wheelhouse, because the combination has done more for me than just the wide set I used when I started.

I am definitely not against setting.

I used to think setting was cheating but that changed once I watched a video about setting.

I used to think that it was all about reducing the range of motion so you could pretend that you could close the gripper.

But after watching the video I realised that it had to do with setting yourself up to have the best leverages like someone would do on a bench press.

I also never knew that the final part of the close was the hardest part so that's why I thought setting was cheating.

I have tried learning how to set both CCS and MMS.

I thought I was being delusional about the whole setting but I have actually tested it several times.

I got to level 15 on my Vulcan with the chrome spring a while ago.

I was training CCS and I could not even get the handles to move which was frustrating the hell out of me.

I tried setting the vulcan a tiny bit so I could get my pinky on it.

This is a set but it would be considered a no set on any other gripper because my hands are very large and very wide. (8.66) inches long.

I missed level 15 by a few mm.

My wider sets are actually stronger.

It could have something to do with the Ivanko Super Gripper being my first gripper.

I got to a very high level on that before I even got my Vulcan and you can't set it.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

It is true that setting harder grippers can be rough on some of the fingers.  Can't argue with that.

I have tried learning how to set level 6 with the CROM spring but it still hurts like hell and that it the easiest level.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I will not and cannot say that there is anything wrong with deciding to train only no-set or credit-card-set closes.  Of course we all decide what we want to train.  But is it really possible that your close with a set is weaker than without one?  I feel like that would be comparable to saying "My rack pull is less than my deadlift."  I just ask this out of curiosity and not to suggest I think you should do anything differently.  We ARE all built a little differently, over the core similarities, and I'm no physiatrist.  It just sounds really counterintuitive to hear someone say wider is easier.

For me, I DID used to hate setting, and resisted doing it for a couple of years, until I was stuck closing RGC 149 and not 150.  I trained one day with Chez, and watched him set and accepted his advice on setting, and got a close on an RGC 153 that very day.  A year or so later I have closed RGC 165, and recently also certed the IM 3, which of course is with a credit card set, which I also could not do back when I resisted learning how to set for MMS.

Great job on the certification by the way it's insane that you were able to close the no.3 at your age!

You definitely showed that age is just a number when it comes to grip.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

I forgot to add that I am actually one of the people that does not like the credit card set requirement for certifications nowadays. 

They have made it impossible for smaller handed individuals to certify.

I am probably just going to certify with a no set.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I forgot to add that I am actually one of the people that does not like the credit card set requirement for certifications nowadays. 

They have made it impossible for smaller handed individuals to certify.

I am probably just going to certify with a no set.

My hands are only 7.5 inches.

If you certify no set, even though you think that is easier, it will impress everyone who sees it as being harder!  Good luck.  I would like to do no-set closes with my easiest COC 3s, but I am not there yet.  I can TNS close my hardest 2.5 any time (RGC 132), but I haven't hit over 140 yet.

• Like 2