New RGC device - Calling RGC people

Alawadhi

Hello gripper calibrators

I have a question. The strap in RGC rating are generally 1 inch correct? Our hands aren't one inch in width. I am curious to know how will the RGC rating will differ if we use a strap that mimics the width of the hand? Any takers?

• Like 1

A large strap gives you a higher rating, and a smaller strap gives a smaller rating assuming the edge of the strap is still aligned to the end of the handle. You're basically just moving the load point up or down the handle since it will always be measuring from the center of however wide the strap is. 

Everyone have different sized hands so I really don't think it would be a good way to measure. I think the best way is the RGC standard we already use. Rating furthest out on the handles, will give you a result which shows the least amount of force it requires to close the gripper. Regardless of hand size.

The use of hand dynamometers should be good enough if someone is interested in testing in another standarized way.

7 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I have a question. The strap in RGC rating are generally 1 inch correct? Our hands aren't one inch in width. I am curious to know how will the RGC rating will differ if we use a strap that mimics the width of the hand? Any takers?

Yes 1”. 

The value in ratings is so that you can compare numbers, literally nothing else. Doing anything else with the strap will just increase the numbers. Why?  Ego?  The resulting numbers will simply be comparable in the exact same way, just higher. 

Also, using a strap that mimics the width of a hand will still not mimic how grippers feel in the hand. You’re still only getting “pounds at the close”.  The only thing you’re accomplishing is a different set of numbers which will only be comparable to ratings taken in the same way. 

Finally, some motivation for the 1” strap was based on the fact that the weights are lower. If you’re physically lifting weight over and over for 7000 grippers, there is some motivation for it to be less weight. Especially when the actual numbers don’t matter when the only goal is that they are comparable to each other. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The resulting numbers will simply be comparable in the exact same way, just higher. 

Even more importantly, not only are the numbers comparable but they will be proportional, meaning you don't actually gain information by doing this. If you already have an RGC rating you can use that to derive what the rating would be by using a large or smaller strap, nothing new is being added. 

It would be more helpful to quantify the spring constants to see how hard the sweep will be, as that and the spread are the biggest variables that make two grippers of the same RGC have different actual difficulties. 

• Like 1

The idea is to see the percentage difference and to know if it is closer to IronMind numbers or not. Anyone willing to do it?

14 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

The idea is to see the percentage difference and to know if it is closer to IronMind numbers or not. Anyone willing to do it?

My understanding was that Ironmind put the strap in the middle of the handles so it would be the pressure it would take to close for a hand the covers the entire length of the handles. True difficulty for most would be to have it closer to the end. I'm assuming this could be calculated by an expert in physics if there's data on the average width of human hand to go off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

To what end though? Just curiosity? 

From the stories I’ve seen, IronMind tasked Sorin to come up with difficulty estimates and he hung weight from the middle of the handle. The “tweeners” are just exactly half way from the numbers on both sides, no new measurements taken. 

Ratings are also only one element to how a gripper feels in the hand, never mind issues that are unique to the person’s hand itself. There are variables such as spread, coil diameter, knurling sharpness or even lack of knurling, handle diameter, mounting depth, filed or not, etc. 

Whatever manner of rating is chosen there will be concessions as to how it feels in the hand. In that way I’m just not seeing the worth of collecting numbers with a different size strap. 

But if someone else is interested in the project, of course, by all means go for it. 

1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

I'm assuming this could be calculated by an expert in physics if there's data on the average width of human hand to go off.

There is an interesting problem with “average”.  This math channel I follow explains it really well and the video actually deals in study of hand size. The short story is that it’s exceptionally uncommon to actually be average and given even a couple data points, literally nobody is average.

https://youtu.be/NbiveCNBOxk

Guys I am just curious. Anyone willing please do so with a thanks.

If using a wider strap as mentioned the weight needed will increase and the accuracy will decrease this is due to the vector that a larger strap will promote.

You could just use math's to work out the weight needed at the center of the handle compared to the end which would be more accurate but again that is just a figure nothing more. It has at best "a weak - medium relationship" with the true force needed to close a gripper. The majority of the factors have been mentioned above.

Remember an RGC is just a rough and ready way to compare one gripper to another that the majority of gripper trainers have some form of access to without a great expense nothing else.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, Alawadhi said:

I think that our hands differ to much. I also think the smaller strap make the measuring more accurate. 

I did some experimenting back in the day.  Different strap positions and widths ( one half, one and two inch).  Yes the numbers change but they were proportional so it didn't matter - it just made for smaller or larger numbers for the same gripper.  I tried doing a few as carefully as possible drawing out the force curve using small plates as the gripper closed - this did show a little bit the "sweep" and final poundage which did correspond with the feel of the gripper but my equipment wasn't fine enough to mean much.  A soft or hard sweep I found was much harder for me as my set is so bad but I was strong in the final couple centimeters whereas a hard sweep shut me down hard.

• Like 2