50mm Axle bar for squats , presses and bent rows. Is the axle best for the gripsters?

carlos joaquim

Hello grippers, I've been using the 50mm Axle bar for all my heavy compound movements. And it's been great. Very productive , I've really been into grip for the last 6months or so. and I love it as. As I get older it's a wonderful to have new physical goals that are easier on the joints and such. So the gripster world is great, and with the Axle I feel It's best for strength and also for the grip. with the Axle your grip gets good work ever workout. What you guys think.

Also I love using the axle bar for mixed grip deadlifts , I find it works the back very hard and also the grip. Also I do double over hand deads with Axle bar which is all grip. So what do you guys think.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, Joe Sullivan said:

This would fit better in the equipment section rather than the training logs and routines section, unless you plan on using it as a log.

Yes, axle is great for all those things you mentioned. 100%

Thanks Joe , Axle's are super cool aren't they?  And sorry about the ''forum section'' I'm new to the forum world lol.  And sorry about the lateness of my reply. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 11:37 PM, slazbob said:

I have one ordered can’t wait to work with it.

That's great . Your going to like the variety it will add to your training. My next grip tool will be the 60mm or 2 3/4'' axle bar. The standard Axle is 50mm or 1.9'' .Can't wait.

• Like 1

Where do you fellas find a 2 3/8” axel? 
I’ve added thick bar to my training in the last few weeks, and my gripper strength has gone up...I’ve heard it hurts your gripper training, but haven’t noticed that yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slazbob said:

I’ve added thick bar to my training in the last few weeks, and my gripper strength has gone up...I’ve heard it hurts your gripper training, but haven’t noticed that yet.

I got mine from Elitefts and it's great, they also make a 3 inch version. They're expensive but they had a deal during black friday a few years back that made it worthwhile

• Thanks 1

I don't know where to buy metric equal to 2 3/8" - which is 60mm (very slightly smaller).  Here in the states 1 1/2" Pipe gives 1.9" OD - 2" Pipe gives 2 3/8" OD.  If memory serves me correctly 50 mm equals 1.97".  Here in the US you can buy actual 2" tubing but most of the better plates will not fit on it.  It's a personal thing but a 1.9" pipe bar let's me lift about 10# more than an actual 2" like the IM Axle.

• Like 1

You made me curious so I went and measured my 2-3/8" axle and it's right at 2.383". It's powder coated, so given the typical thickness of that the actual pipe must be real close to 2.375". 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, Climber028 said:

I got mine from Elitefts and it's great, they also make a 3 inch version. They're expensive but they had a deal during black friday a few years back that made it worthwhile

Hey guys. I was going to buy my 2.38'' axle from Armassasins strength shop. They got amazing stuff for gripsters. You can get the bar custom. I'm gonna get mine 6' long, to save on space. Cost $120.00. 

On 5/2/2021 at 2:13 PM, Joe Sullivan said:

If you can have only one piece of equipment.... and axle would serve you best over any other. My preference is 2 3/8 inch axle....

Do you do squats , presses and rows with the 60mm axle? I like the 50mm axle for those exercises. Of course I've never used a 60mm , I think it will be too big for the size of my hands. I'll find out next month, when I will have saved up enough money. I love grip stuff.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:31 PM, slazbob said:

Don't use the 2.3/8'' axel for d.o.h. deadlifts before your gripper training and you should be fine.

2 hours ago, carlos joaquim said:

Don't use the 2.3/8'' axel for d.o.h. deadlifts before your gripper training and you should be fine.

Yeah, I always do gripper training first. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:29 AM, Joe Sullivan said:

I do overhead presses with a 3 inch axle ... and all of my rows are with inch dumbbells.

Hi Joe, So what benefit's do you notice from the 3in axle overhead presses? Jason from @team_fairpoint  on Instagram does flat benches with over 400lbs on the 3in axle. He's a tank lol. For me, axle presses has a positive effect on my elbows. 

Also what's your thoughts on Axle bar squats? And squats or any leg training for the gripster or armwrestler? 

14 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Jason is a good friend and one of the best in the world IMO.... the benefit you get from axle presses seems to me that the bar is so stiff and unwieldy that it really hits my wrists and core much different than an oly bar that has flexibility. I grab the three inch bar with the whole hand wrapped on it thumb included, and not a false grip. This really seems to stress my hand and wrist. 
Axle squats are awesome as well. I don’t do any exercises on regular bars. Always axles. For a wrestling, legs are not needed and may hinder you if you want to be in a lower weight class. They will pack on pounds. For me though, I like to be strong all around and am 260 so I don’t have to worry about weight classes as I am in the heaviest class. 

Yah. I also grab the axle with my whole hand. Works the hands and grip more , I agree. I'll be getting my 2.7/8 axle from Armassasinstrengthshop . They have amazing stuff. But first I need to get a 2.3/8 axle. 

4 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Get em BOTH!! 2, 2 3/8 abs and 3 inch axle.... all you need for a complete grip! Or just get all the fat gripz... and you have bar and dumbbell options. I have the bars because I prefer the feel of steel over the rubber but I have them all anyway. Nice to have all the options.

''Nice to have all the options''. Yes me too. I'm not just into grip, I love collecting all the different grip tools and handles. I love handles, I just ordered a 60mm handle from godsofgrip. Looks like a solid piece of kit. As they say in the UK lol.  I love this gripsport, It's become my favorite strength sport. Also I love grippers , CoC #1 lol.