Same RGC: Filed vs non Filed, Which is harder?

rphilton

I just closed my 139# rated GHP7 for a triple and am beginning to get excited about attempting the MM1 in the next year or so.

I understand that its ~155#.  For a gripper with the same RGC measured but one filed and the other unfiled, which one is harder?

The filed RGC would be measured after filing, obviously. I want to over prepare for MM1 and ultimately the COC #3 cert so I plan on buying whichever one folks find harder in that 155-160# range.

• Like 1

It depends on how you’ve been training. The more BTR training you’ve been doing, the more effective you’ll be in that range.

This dynamic is easily understood when compared to set vs. no set. A gripper rated at 130 will feel harder with no set, but the more open-hand work you do, you can become more effective in that range and close the gap. 

But both no set and BTR should always be behind because in both cases you’re not in the optimal position for your best mechanical advantage over the gripper. 

• Like 2

Cool. Thanks for the response. @Cannon, do you pull 3s that you think will rate harder for customers or do you only rate a bunch and list them? Not sure if that question makes sense...would love a #3 on the upper end (155-160#) non filed but can wait for your next batch or those Standard grippers to come out.

Are you asking if a filed gripper rated @155 is the same as a gripper rated @155 with non filed handles? 

if so, the filed one is harder. 

2 hours ago, rphilton said:

Cool. Thanks for the response. @Cannon, do you pull 3s that you think will rate harder for customers or do you only rate a bunch and list them? Not sure if that question makes sense...would love a #3 on the upper end (155-160#) non filed but can wait for your next batch or those Standard grippers to come out.

The only way we can accommodate this is to look for a wide spread in the package. That’s an indication it COULD be on the hard side but of course no telling what number. We don’t make any guarantees. 

2 hours ago, slazbob said:

Are you asking if a filed gripper rated @155 is the same as a gripper rated @155 with non filed handles? 

if so, the filed one is harder. 

Yeah, exactly. A filed gripper rated 155 (rated after filing) vs a non filed rated 155.

@Cannon I'll just plan on ordering a filed #3 I think.

I have only tried one filed gripper and it was a #3.5 rated 188. At the time I could close a 178 non filed gripper that felt like a brick. On the 188 gripper the sweep was super easy and I just missed that close with 1mm which I feel is better then my 178 close? 

Could it be possible to take easy grippers and make look hard with filing them to inflate rating? 

I also feel that for example grip genies grippers are alot easier, I closed their GG6 rated 184 before I could close the #3.5 178 can it be that them being narrow makes the rating off? 

• Like 1

The rating is at the close so its comparable.

The filled gripper is easier to close for me due to effort at the start followed by speed, its offset slightly by the range of motion but not by much. That's why as mentioned in other threads that a filled gripper is a good option to break through sticking points, as its RGC is higher the stress (load) is greater without maybe the same effort needed through the full range of motion.

I noticed your GHP7 is on the low side of the curve, plus that's a big jump from 139 to 155 (well for me it would be). You also mention goals of getting certs. With that in mind depending on which part (if any) of the close is hardest for you either getting another standard gripper around 149 or a higher gripper and chocking it could be good options. I would not think just using a filled gripper then going for certs is the best option due to the different range of motion.

Everything being equal a filed gripper will be harder. Unless if you have really small hands maybe, then it might be easier. I don't think that's the case in most times tho, few people have small hands like that. And it also depends on how much it's been filed. It can be filed 1 mm or it can be filed 10 mm, that makes a huge difference.

Most people probably cheat when they close filed grippers as well, i.e not compensating with set width.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've also closed my brother's unrated #3, and have an HG300, a GHP7 that's rated at 147, and an old single stamped #3 with a super wide spread. So I feel like if I close those plus the filed #3 I should be in good shape.

@Lennix I've lurked the forums a while...what did you hit before you felt "ready" to cert? If I recall, you hit a double or something with a 3 first.

Edited by rphilton

Rather than a reps recommendation since that seems to vary person to person, I would say if you are consistently closing a gripper rated at +5lbs to the MM level, even on an "off" day, then you're ready. In this case that would be 160-165. Or you can be like me and close it by the skin of your teeth and hope the video confirms that :D

• Haha 1

Haha nice. Didn't realize you had closed the MM1, that's awesome. Going to have to have my wife practice her video skills too 😬. Should be fun.

11 hours ago, rphilton said:

Appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've also closed my brother's unrated #3, and have an HG300, a GHP7 that's rated at 147, and an old single stamped #3 with a super wide spread. So I feel like if I close those plus the filed #3 I should be in good shape.

@Lennix I've lurked the forums a while...what did you hit before you felt "ready" to cert? If I recall, you hit a double or something with a 3 first.

I closed a GHP8 rated 166 with a 38mm block and could do 2 reps CCS with a #3 rated 158 :)

• Like 1