Standard Grippers NOW AVAILABLE

Cannon

Standard Grippers are almost here! This new line features simple, handmade grippers with oil-tempered springs and carefully honed specifications to meet your training needs. The line includes 9 levels, which are named after increasingly hard metals. Each gripper is stamped with the SG logo on one handle and the chemical symbol of the metal on the other handle. The 9 levels are:

Sn - Tin - 50lbs average rating
Zn - Zinc - 60lbs
Ag - Silver - 80lbs
Au - Gold - 95lbs
Pt - Platinum - 115lbs
Fe - Iron - 135lbs
Co - Cobalt - 165lbs
Ti - Titanium - 175lbs
W - Tungsten - 190lbs

Designed for simplicity and durability, Standard Grippers are coming soon.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Really cool idea @Cannon, do you have any info about the handle spread of these grippers, are they similar to COC and GHP?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Really cool idea @Cannon, do you have any info about the handle spread of these grippers, are they similar to COC and GHP?

For sure! Any info you want. 

In general they are just under 3”.  Average probably 2.85” to 3”.

The mandrel that the springs are made on can only fine tune the preload angle to certain increments. This effectively sets the eventual spread which is one of the major elements that determines the final rating as well. Of the choices we had between 2.5” and 3” we had to lean on the one that hit the numbers we wanted, and that was 2.85 to 3” spreads. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Cannon said:

For sure! Any info you want. 

In general they are just under 3”.  Average probably 2.85” to 3”.

The mandrel that the springs are made on can only fine tune the preload angle to certain increments. This effectively sets the eventual spread which is one of the major elements that determines the final rating as well. Of the choices we had between 2.5” and 3” we had to lean on the one that hit the numbers we wanted, and that was 2.85 to 3” spreads. 

That's great, seems like a really good approach 👍

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Hi, @Cannon!  In your opinion, how good are these oil-tempered springs comparible with BB springs?

Thanks in advance

There are only a couple of choices for spring material in this application for heavy torsion spring grippers. Maybe only 3-ish where one is oil-tempered wire. So except that they are made to slightly different specs (mainly a slightly larger coil diameter) they are the same oil-tempered material. The springs are turned and then baked for only about 15 minutes.  In the case of Standard Grippers, however, the springs have also been thoroughly cleaned and then protected with oil.  So nothing new or revolutionary; just tried and true parts.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cannon said:

There are only a couple of choices for spring material in this application for heavy torsion spring grippers. Maybe only 3-ish where one is oil-tempered wire. So except that they are made to slightly different specs (mainly a slightly larger coil diameter) they are the same oil-tempered material. The springs are turned and then baked for only about 15 minutes.  In the case of Standard Grippers, however, the springs have also been thoroughly cleaned and then protected with oil.  So nothing new or revolutionary; just tried and true parts.  

That's what I expected! Thank you :)

Thanks for putting the extra effort in to help everyone in Grip.  Its also nice to see local trade people are used. Its a shame the UK does not push as hard as I have seen in the US

Will they take the Bumper to help fine tune things?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Busa said:

Will they take the Bumper to help fine tune things?

I’m glad you brought this up. The Bumper fits, but not ideally. It’s a super easy fix however. You can take any rubber band and add it to The Bumper to take up a little space. Then just proceed fitting it as normal. We are looking to start shipping The Bumper with a nice rubber band. 

Just grabbed me a 138 and a 164; the 161 was sold out, of course.  But still those were holes in my collection.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Holy crap guys. I never thought it would be like this, but at the current pace it looks like Iron through Tungsten (the top 4 levels) will sell out today. If you want one now, don’t wait.

There will always be more but there is lead time to restock. Just trying to help you plan. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Just grabbed me a 138 and a 164; the 161 was sold out, of course.  But still those were holes in my collection.  Thanks!

I got a 164 also, it's probably my next big goal gripper

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

I got a 164 also, it's probably my next big goal gripper

You move fast, man.  164 is my goal gripper as well.  I used to be ahead of you lol.  Just at grippers I mean.

• Like 1

Just placed an order now.  You weren't kidding about selling out -- I put a pre-rated Iron 138 in my cart, and it was sold-out before I finished checking out!

Matt, forgot to leave a  note with the order, but would it be possible to aim for something in the high 130s?  I bought the pre-rated 135 with the order and bought another Iron and paid for a rating hoping for something a little tougher.  If you can't, would totally understand.

And like everyone else here, a big thank you for addressing this need.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You move fast, man.  164 is my goal gripper as well.  I used to be ahead of you lol.  Just at grippers I mean.

You're still ahead of me, I havent closed the 151 #3 yet and I cant TNS my #2, meanwhile you can TNS a 2.5

• Like 3

Checked a bit late today :( the hunt for grippers is addictive.

Thanks again for all your effort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bdckr said:

Matt, forgot to leave a  note with the order, but would it be possible to aim for something in the high 130s?  I bought the pre-rated 135 with the order and bought another Iron and paid for a rating hoping for something a little tougher.  If you can't, would totally understand.

I hit you up over email :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Griparn said:

And they are gone 😦 

I've posted more pre-rated twice today and they are selling just as quickly. Check back this week with both the product pages and pre-rated. I got with our dealer and I think we can get more still this week. We didn't expect the first batch to vaporize quite like this but sounds like they can fit us in for more. The first batch is almost entirely sold :blink.  You guys are crazy but we love you anyway.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys, for the GripBoard only: 

If you couldn't get the number you wanted in pre-rated and ordered a gripper with rating service instead, reply to the order confirmation via email with the number you wanted. A preferred range would be ideal. I will try and align what we have to your preferences. No guarantees I can find the number, but anything that is possible I will accommodate or try and get close.   

• Like 4

I had the 180 and the 192 in my cart and PayPal wouldn’t work!

I had to go back to work and they were gone when I got home. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1