Final OSH thoughts and many THANKS

Kluv#0

2 days prior to my last OSH grip contest and would like to take the time to Thank some Gripsport individuals. Late 2016 I was reeling from deaths in my family, addicted to alcohol and chewing tobacco. I saw a guy on YT doing grip stuff, in what seemed like a dungeon(turned out to be Jared Goguen) was intrigued- reached out to him via comment section and was welcomed open arms to his basement gym countless times to workout and try out his innovative, new products. Fascinating and complex man, I will always be grateful that I watched that YT video as I had never heard of "Gripsport". Mark Wechter(Highland Games legend)who hosted a grip contest (8 wide ranging events with RT pullups last event!) that I attended(My first grip contest) and fortunate to win Heavyweight division. Mark and Tod Becraft were incredible, helping out myself & others, running a fun contest- I was really hooked on grip after that and gained more confidence and gave me the idea of someday running my own contest. Jedd Johnson, true legend. 18 plus years of excellence means a lot in my book and He is synonymous with grip worldwide. Jedd offered kind words to me during a difficult time when my wife was very ill prior to my inaugural 2017 contest. I received training routine and tips which helped me become much stronger and his Napalm's Nightmare is very easy on one's lower back. Interesting factoids- I was watching early January 2017 and saw Jedd lifting KP style of 100lb plate and it was one thing led to another for me after that- I went out to garage, tried and was infatuated. Jedd is the man who came up with the idea of 2HKP of shallow hub as David told me that. Adam Glass -another Legendary grip figure,  I watched almost all of his videos pre- 2016 and found one in particular that I use to this day on a weekly basis that has benefitted me greatly. Also, he is a big believer in thumbless lifts and I enjoy doing those as well just not at his level:).  Jerome Bloom, my KP brother from another mother. Such a gentleman and the finest Keypincher ever! He inspired me to get better not only with his lifts but with his tenacity. He has heart of lion and more importantly a heart of Gold. David Horne, my goodness what an all-around grip warrior and dominant for over 20 years. His company World Of Grip - I love lifting on his quality products. It was a high honor to be fortunate to eclipse DH 2HKP WR in '17 (he has like 60+ WR so he could spare to lose one, LOL) and a moment that I will never forget. 

Long mentions but I cannot say what would have happened to me if not for grip and having a contest to prepare for. My life is fantastic, with purpose(soon to be on a new journey) now after being sober and tobacco free for almost 5 years. Iam truly on bended knee to those individuals who indirectly helped improve the quality of not only my life but my family. I thank all the participants/athletes of OSH and I know most didn't enjoy the wrist events but that is what I enjoy and value most. I tried to identify who had the strongest hands (NOT back, legs, biggest, smallest hands,etc) by having a blend of various implements that favor nobody when done in totality of contest. It is not easy promoting and running a contest. Lots of ego's and a certain mentality is required to train for Gripsport events. Also, when someone can watch your vids and pretty much know L is on the way it is hard to recruit. Final thoughts- Train hard and have fun doing it. Turn your unhealthy addictions into grip addictions and spread the word!  KLT Love forever and LT, AMT, AT so very proud.

• Like 11

A long wall of text that comes across as drunken nonsense.

Edited by Allen Heineck
  • Confused 1

This post was wholesome.  Congrats on your sobriety. Addiction blows. And you flipped the script on it. Thank you for sharing!  

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, Joe Sullivan said:

For the life of me I Cannot tell if this is in jest or serious... so if it’s in jest then please forgive me for not catching on... but for a man to come on a Public forum and reveal his past demons he has dealt with and emerging stronger and in a better place for it gets a lot of credit in my book. There may be others here who may come across this who  are also struggling with addiction Or are in a dark place  of some kind. For them to see others who have emerged victorious from something destructive and having the guts to tell people gets a big thumbs up in my book... 

agreed

• Like 1

I discovered grip not long after you, as my marriage was ending in late 2017, and I think it has played a part in saving me in much the same way it did for you.  It has been nice following you here and up the MM ladder as the two older guys who won't quit.  In fact, I was just diagnosed yesterday with congestive heart failure, and now I'm more motivated than ever to get the IM cert!  Grip will continue to improve my life.  CHF is totally manageable, and it's going o fit in with my grip plans.  Good luck at OSH - can't make it this year, but if I can make it in any future year I won't let the cross country travel stop me.  Crush youth!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I discovered grip not long after you, as my marriage was ending in late 2017, and I think it has played a part in saving me in much the same way it did for you.  It has been nice following you here and up the MM ladder as the two older guys who won't quit.  In fact, I was just diagnosed yesterday with congestive heart failure, and now I'm more motivated than ever to get the IM cert!  Grip will continue to improve my life.  CHF is totally manageable, and it's going o fit in with my grip plans.  Good luck at OSH - can't make it this year, but if I can make it in any future year I won't let the cross country travel stop me.  Crush youth!

Vinnie,

I hope you the best of treatment with your CHF and sustained quality of life. There is no doubt you will accomplish the IM #3 cert- that will be an incredible moment for you and family. Thanks for kind words - feelings definitely mutual. I always appreciated how strong you were with grippers, pinch and excellent contest write-ups and wit! We had a great time yesterday at OSH '21- special day to be sure. 

All the best

• Like 2