Ring, pinky finger and back of hand hurts

razven

I've had some pain for the last couple of weeks (I guess around 3 weeks) and I was wondering why and how this happened. It slowly crawled into my right hand and now it doesn't go away. Have any of you experienced this pain, in this area that goes from the wrist towards the ring and pinky finger like in the image attached? It mainly hurts when I release the closed gripper, even with the Sport, and even when I grip something and I put some force into it. The pain goes from the back of the pain as shown in the image to the top of the wrist, right where the palm begins, first ring.

I've been doing contrast baths and hand extensions daily, I'm thinking of taking a week long break, started yesterday. Any extra tips, have you experienced this?

istockphoto-462795637-612x612.jpg

My bro if you’re going to do grip you better get used to pain in the hand 😆😆😆😆it’s all from weakness, bad technique, and/ or the dumb things we do to our body. The universal solution is “get stronger” 

• Like 1

I would layoff at least a week and maybe try some light ulnar deviation. 12 reps 3 x a day. If it’s overuse injury that should help. For a preferred weight and isolation I’d use a loading pin attached to a cable pulley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you for the replies! While I thought the "get stronger" approach might work, it obviously doesn't and it's killing the fun training grippers with a constant pain.
The band extensions don't hurt my hand at all in that area, even when I put the band on the ring and pinky finger and extend. It's onnly when I grip something harder and I put some more force on the ring and pinky. Also, other exercises don't hurt, like rolling thunder, hub and so.I'll try the tips you guys gave and the week off, hopefully by next week I'll be able to train grippers again!

EDIT: https://youtu.be/cGzm1_R8Cks?t=396 I can feel a disconfort when making this movement that goes from the elbow to my pinky finger's base, so I'm guessing this might be it? stretching it everyday since today, I'll update in a week, see how it goes.

Edited by razven
Posted an exercise link
  • Like 1

Keep stretching and massaging and use those extensor bands... I at one time had a severely sprained thumb from work, plus the other thumb had tendonitis in the other and tendonitis in both hands.. I had to get checked for  Rheumatoid Arthritis because my mom has it... Luckily it turned out to be from laying in bed using my tablet with my wrists bent funny, and probably working out and not stretching properly after.

Thats what got me interested in hand strength. Keep doing what doesn't hurt, but with less weight.   

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, JDC James said:

Probably a strain to the flexor digiti minimi brevis, palmar interosseus, opponens digiti minimi, or a combination of the three. If it's been 3 weeks it's possible you have a tendinopathy which would require first taking a break and then slowly ramping up again. Putting a rubber band around your ring and pinky and expanding could be a good way to provoke pain/rehab it with low intensity. Source: had the same pain.

Did you find your info on that anatomical stuff in one spot, or just general research on the internet?

I like knowing the science and logic behind the training, rather than just do this or that.

Also, been experimenting with more volume with the COC grippers lately (trying to max out the #2), so if I do suffer an injury, knowing where to go for information will come in handy.

Cheers

Update: after daily hand extensions, contrast baths, some stretching and tennis ball massage, I've done 4x20 normal reps and 4x20 inverted reps with the S. The pain is 85% gone, doesn't last when I open up the hand after finishing the set. Seems like resting did the trick (5 days for now). 

Can't tell you exactly which was the most efficient method, but I think I benefited the most from the tennis ball massage.