2021 US Grip National Championship

Jedd Johnson

The 2021 United States Championship of Grip will take place June 19th in Wyalusing PA.

This is an annual competition on the Grip Sport International (previously NAGS) calendar.

Events will be: Silver Bullet, 48 & 54mm Euro 2HP, 2" Napalm's Nightmare, Wrist Roller, and the Bullseye Medley. 

Same qualifications will be required as for the North American Championship, as this level competition is what those qualifications were originally designed for.

Here is the link to the entry form: 2021 US Grip Championship Entry Form

Competition Format

Event Order: Silver Bullet, Euro Pinch, Napalm’s Nightmare, Wrist Roller, Medley

Silver Bullet: 2 Trips to the platform.  You get 60 seconds to get an official, legal hold time.  You can start with a heavy gripper and drop down until you get a legal hold.  We will use grippers that are in the middle range of the ratings for each gripper level.  Scoring will be based on the same scale as used previously.

Euro Pinch:  Normal lift to 16.5” crossbar.  Standard Euro rules will be conducted.  Competitors lifting on 48mm will go first, then we will switch the width to 54mm, and not go back to 48.  If a competitors saves an attempt for the bigger width, that will be fine.  Weight jumps will be done in 5lb increments, unless a weight class record or world record is attempted. As many attempts as possible within 30 second time limit

Napalm’s Nightmare:  2” handles.  Competitors may stand on blocks. 3” and 9” blocks will be available.  Competitor must set up blocks prior to their attempt beginning.  No bracing of the implement on the body at any time. 6” lift will be conducted. Weight jumps will be 10lb Increments, unless a weight class record or world record is attempted.  As many attempts as possible within 30 second time limit

Wrist Roller:  Competitors will pull a weight over a course by turning a wrist roller with a strap that wraps around it. Time limit will be 60 seconds. One attempt.

Bullseye Medley:  20 Items will be placed on the floor.  These implements will be located at or near one of the outside rings.  The lifter will have to pick up the implement and carry it towards the center of the field. For each ring that the implement crosses, 1 point will be awarded for that implement.  To better envision this, the course will resemble a dartboard, and the implements will be carried toward the bullseye.  Implements may be picked up and dropped and picked up again, but no purposeful bracing against the body in order to carry the implement is permitted; also no rolling. If an implement drops and rolls it must be picked up from where it hits. One implement may be carried at a time. 2 Minute Time Limit

Medley Challenge Items:
1. 120lb Shot Load Inch
2. Inch Dumbbell (169#)
3. Next Gen Blob (50#)
4. 2x25s (Milled Yorks)
5. 2x35s (Average)
6. 2x45s (Nice bevels)
7. #2 Straphold Carry with 10lbs
8. #2.5 Straphold Carry with 10lbs
9. 110lb Anvil by the Horn
10. 55lb Anvil by the Horn
11. 55lb Finnish Ball
12. 8lb Sledge Choke with Quarter
13. 45lb IM Pinch Block
14. 4x10s Pinch (Yorks, tight fitting)
15. 45lb Billard Plate Hub
16. 35lb York Plate Hub
17. 25lb York Plate Hub
18. 200lb Sahlaney Inch
19. Half 55lb York Blob
20. 30lb Stub

For Euro and NN:  30 seconds per attempt to get a legal lift. Rising Bar.  There will be a second implement in the back to warm up on prior and during the event.  Competitors will be able to take warm-ups on the contest implement.  You must say “Warm-up” and take the cross-bar off the uprights to avoid confusion when warming up.  No more warm-ups once you have taken your first attempt.  No loss of grip is allowed once hitting the crossbar or it invalidates the lift.

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This sounds awesome, Thanks Jedd!  Looking forward to that medley!

• Like 1

Folks, I had to change the date. It's now June 19th. Sorry for the change.

• Like 2

Love the events. I’ll be there Jedd

• Like 1

Info on lodging and airports

AIRBnB right next door called Cast Iron Lady. WYALUSING Hotel Annex at the end of the block. Get the Annex, not the original hotel.

Scranton/WilkesBarre/Avoca is the closest in Pennsylvania, about 1.5 hr

Binghamton NY or Corning NY are both about the same distance, about an hour or so.

Any other questions, let me know.

@DAVE101 

• 1 month later...

I love the events.  Question on silver bullet:  is there any limitation on how you are allowed to get the bullet into position?  For example, can you use your legs to help get a deep set, so long as the time does not start running until you have your one hand holding the bullet properly?  Or do you have to set it with just the other hand?

• Like 1

(And, perhaps needless to say, I will be there -- just booked my hotel)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I love the events.  Question on silver bullet:  is there any limitation on how you are allowed to get the bullet into position?  For example, can you use your legs to help get a deep set, so long as the time does not start running until you have your one hand holding the bullet properly?  Or do you have to set it with just the other hand?

You can use your legs to set. See you there, Vinnie.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, Vinnie said:

Same as always.  Lifter ready? THey say yes, I say begin, and you can brace that thing however you want. 

Keep in mind, it's the ax gripper closes that aren't supposed to be braced, although people do it all the time and judges act like they're blind.  You can brace the SIlver Bulelt though.

Current Competitor List (received entries):

Jedd Johnson 
Luke Raymond
Sarah Chappellow
Clint Ziegler
Chez Ricchezza
Vinnie RIvellese
Jason Dingey
Melissa Dingey
Lance Moore
Mike RInderle

• Like 3

I'm getting each competitor shirts. They are free with your entry.  Thanks.

• Like 4

Today is the last day to confirm your entry. If I don't hear from you today, I can't guarantee you your shirt.

Thanks

Really looking forward to competing with everyone. Let’s keep the energy high and push each other to greatness 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 11:42 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

Current Competitor List (received entries):

Jedd Johnson 
Luke Raymond
Sarah Chappellow
Clint Ziegler
Chez Ricchezza
Vinnie RIvellese
Jason Dingey
Melissa Dingey

Wow - with this list, I am very lucky that I should be the only one in my weight and age class (under 83kg, over age 50).  What a competitive group!  This will be fun.

• Like 1

One addition to the competitor list

Jedd Johnson - 120+ Men
Luke Raymond - 93kg Men
Sarah Chappellow Women
Clint Ziegler - 93kg Men
Chez Ricchezza - 120+ Men
Vinnie RIvellese - 83kg Men
Jason Dingey - 120+ Men
Melissa Dingey - Women
Lance Moore - 120+ Men
Mike Rinderle - 12+kg Men

I'm considering having 2 weight classes for the men.  All 120+ in one class and all the other men in their own class.

Is there any feedback regarding this?  Specifically would like to hear from @Vinnie on this, but everyone is welcome to chime in.  Thanks.

Medley Update  - I never posted what would be on the list for the Women.  I am sorry about that.  Pretty much everything will be the same as far as the type of grip strength needed, but the challenge level will be scaled slightly down.

Mens (left) Womens (right)

1. 120lb Shot Load Inch - Same
2. Inch Dumbbell (169#) - 70lb Plate Loadable Dumbbell
3. Next Gen Blob (50#) - Half 75 Blob
4. 2x25s (Milled Yorks) - Same
5. 2x35s (Average) - Same
6. 2x45s (Nice bevels) - 3x10s
7. #2 Straphold Carry with 10lbs - Trainer
8. #2.5 Straphold Carry with 10lbs - #1 Straphold with 10 lbs
9. 110lb Anvil by the Horn - Same
10. 55lb Anvil by the Horn - Same
11. 55lb Finnish Ball - 30lb Finnish Ball
12. 8lb Sledge Choke with Quarter - 3lb Sledge
13. 45lb IM Pinch Block - 30lb IM Block
14. 4x10s Pinch (Yorks, tight fitting) - Same
15. 45lb Billard Plate Hub - 10lb Hub
16. 35lb York Plate Hub - Same
17. 25lb York Plate Hub - Same
18. 200lb Sahlaney Inch - Half 70 Hex Block
19. Half 55lb York Blob - Same
20. 30lb Stub - 20lb Stub

Clint was down and we ran through the Medley.  I gave up on how to make the Bullseye work.  I just don't have enough room.  Instead, we will just carry the implements across the gym.  Each implement will be sitting at the baseline, an edge of the rubber gym floor mat.  If you pick it up over that line, you get 2 points for the implement.  If you can take it over the next line (next edge of rubber mat, 4 feet away) you get 3 points.  Carry it over the next line (next mat) you get 4 points.  Carry it all the way over 3 mats and past the 4th line, you get 5 points.  The carry distance will be about the same, but there won't be an arc to way the implements were originally panned to be laid out.  I have a video that will be posted as soon as possible showing what I'm talking about.

Any questions, I'm all ears.  Thanks.  Gonna be exciting.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I haven't done sprints like that since high school basketball practice. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SarahChappelow said:

As you can tell, by the end of the 2nd round i was DONE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahChappelow said:

Neither have I, my friend.  I didn't recover for like an hour.

Luckily, all we'll have after the Medley is Wrist Roller from Hell.  Cool beans.

• Like 1