Hey Wanna Please Open Gripper32001 Post:

Guest wells

Tommy should have done the feat in front of credible witnesses. Obviously as it took an hour pics and videos would not help much. Sounds like he is a little impulsive at times! It is not the point whether we believe it or not.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom of Iowa2

• Bill Piche

• Roark

• Rob Vigeant

By the way, I am merely enforcing the rules EVERYONE here agreed to with near or world class type feats. THAT is why the thread was locked, period!

How many consecutive singles (1min. rest) with a #3 is a world class feat? I have never seen this feat discussed here before.

I really don't think size has that much to do with grip training- Kinda like saying someone is the "pound for pound chess champion", I wonder if grip strength pound for pound means anything.

Out of all the super-strong gripper guys, I think Sorin is probably the biggest, but still by no means a true super heavy. And the #4 closers are smaller.

I disagree.It only APPEARS that way because statistically not very many people are involved in grip.And many times those with tthe BEST grip potential are not in the least bit interested in grip.

ALL of the new grip freaks are over 215lbs.....most over 250lbs.There will be more and it will-I think?-become more apparent that size does 'help'.

As more people become involved in grip and more grip freaks are 'discovered'it will become more apparent to us that size -at least at the upper level of grip strength will make a huge difference.....which again makes Tommy's crushing ability more impressive.

I haven't heard of anyone crushing a #3 the first time they touched it other than 265lb Josh Bigger and 335lb Ken Blackman....Josh's 250lb Uncle was a a credit card or two away also....unfortunately some of the men with the most grip potential are not interested or motivated to pursue grip any further.I don't think we've EVER heard of anyone less than 250lbs being a whisper away from closing a #3-first try-first touch and I don't think we ever will. Even the great Joe Kinney and Even Nathan Holle could NOT close a #3 first time. THEY started with the #2. Magnus Samuelson(325lbs)is also considered(even by Sorin in a recent post)one of the best in grip and is occupied pursueing other strength interests....yet his grip is probably one of the best in the world...without focusing 100% on it :blink

Imagine some of the other Pro strongmen and their grip potential....IF they were so inclined.

I guess we'll see......but with 17 and 19 year olds lifting blobs(who would have imagined that just 18 months ago?)and somebody deadlifting and farmers walking the INCH replicas....?????? :whistel ....time and the number of people getting involved in grip will tell if Size matters or not.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Other than Tommy, whose name should be put on the list which can sidetrack Rule 5?

If closing a 3 is a world class feat, closing it for a rep for every even-numbered person on the certification list, isn't?

Deadlifting the Inch is a world class feat- at least for a person with 'normal' size hands. I am not prepared to believe ANYBODY can deadlift it every minute for

nearly an hour.

In the wrist curl club, I am at the beginning class, recently having two witnesses

verify a 200 lb wrist curl. Before that, I had announced that I would NOT announce

any more training accomplishments until it was proven that in fact I can get 200.

I do not expect you to believe I can get a rep every minute for an hour.

The reason I made that announcement was out of respect to other Grip Board members.

There is an interesting thread of logic going on that proclaims a single rep with a 3 to be a world class feat, but questions whether almost five dozen such reps qualify as a world feat. Hello?

Wannagrip HAD NO CHOICE. What, Tommy is exempt? Who else?

There is an interesting thread of logic going on that proclaims a single rep with a 3 to be a world class feat,

I don't think closing a #3 for 1 rep is a worldclass feat, and Tommy is already a certified #3 closer. What Tommy described is some sort of endurance feat. It may well be that someone with really good endurance/fast recovery could replicate his feat, but only be an average Coc.

Roark,

You are arguing that any feat involving a close of a #3 should invoke rule #5? For the real grip masters, closing a #3 is trivial.

RSW,

You edited my comment and then commented on it.

I did not write that ANY feat involving closing a 3 is world class. I meant that

it is accepted as a world class grip feat- hence certification, and closing it

55 times, seems to me to be, more of a world class feat.

Have you not noticed the posts that indicate that many COC cannot, at

will, close the 3? To a COC the 2 may be trivial, but a 3 is not always so.

Can Tommy do this? I will not add my opinion because it is as non-

pertinent as the opinion of anyone else here. Rule 5 ignores opinions.

I did not write that ANY feat involving closing a 3 is world class. I meant that

it is accepted as a world class grip feat- hence certification, and closing it

55 times, seems to me to be, more of a world class feat.

Roark,

I pointed out that I did not recognize 1 rep of a #3 as a world class feat, therefore 55 non-consecutive reps is not necessarily a world class feat (although, if it is a PR for Tommy, it probably is). I think the number of Coc's being produced by the gripboard supports my thesis, that a worldclass crush lies somewhere between the #3 and #4.

So what we have is someone performing a non-world class feat a whole bunch of times. I don't see why rule #5 should be invoked, unless a non-Coc made the claim.

What is the # of non-consecutive closes of a Trainer, #1, or #2 that will invoke rule #5? I have no idea, and I think it is the same for the #3.

Robert

Pushing a 4 lb dumbell overhead is hardly a world class feat. To anyone who lifts weights this is a trivial matter and could be done for a number of reps consecutively and (many more than that noconsecutively) in a limited time. However, to do it 10,000 times in 1 Hour, 6 minutes at 45 seconds such as Anthony Mckinley of Ireland who did this on January 9, 1905 is most definately World Class. But how do we know? Maybe anyone here could duplicate that feat easily and add several hundred more repititions in their attempt. It is World Class becaue of the sheer volume of repetitions done and the short time it was done in. If someone were to do this over the course of several hours or even a day, I would still think it was World Class.

I, in fact, have tried the every minute on the minute workout with the 3 a few years ago. I got to 12 or so. In my opinion, 55 reps in ONE DAY is at least World Class on its own. If Tommy has done 55 reps in 55 minutes that is so far above and beyond eveyone else here thats its not even funny. I for one would like to see this event filmed not only because I am curious but because I can also appreciate how impressive it is and would like give him credit where credit is due.

How about it Tommy?

Would it not take 55 minutes to view the entire movie?

As I said in a previous post what would Tommy do in the one minute rest periods....THAT could be the entertaining part.

Some ideas:

Perhaps Tommy could tie this into a charitable event as some sort of a marathon type situation where observers pay the charity- and earn some money per rep?

Or less charitable?Tommy could get a dollar-per rep-from everybody that DOESN'T think he can do it. ;) Is that illegal gambling? :)

OR we could ALL send him 10cents a rep....to cover his expenses,pain and suffering? :whistel

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

We have space for 53 one minute commercials to help sponsor this epic.

Probably, we can skip the babes holding up minute interval cards between squeezes.

Suggested sponsors: (edited to save spave), PDA, ironhistory.com.

OldGuy Films, and every COC should buy thirty seconds or so.

All kidding aside, this would be a world beater of a film, and I'll try to squeeze

the cost into my budget, though it may take a year and three weeks of saving.

I just did a little experiment... ;)

I tried to close the #2 60 times in one hour ( one rep per minute ).

What surprised me, was that it wasn't that difficult to do... Actually the last rep was almost as "easy" as the first ( I said almost :tongue ). :blink

And Tommy close the #3 like I close the #2, so I have no problem to belive that he tells the truth. :bow:rock

But I understand the rules and I agree that rule 5 should be used.

PS. If anyone want to see the most boring video ever made... Just tell me your e-mail address and I will send it to you. :laugh

I suggest tap dancing and accordion playing during the rest intervals.

One other thing ... rule 5 is not always invoked without bias. Wanna, please re-read the mash monster thread. In a fair world, that thread should have been locked after Heath's disclosure of his success with the new challenge gripper. It wasn't locked, or even questioned, because we all know Heath did exactly what he said he did. But is that really the point?

Mike M.

True, it should have. But you know what, I didn't want to start a WHOLE new thread on the topic! It wasn't also put in the same context. It was a test of a gripper. Did you see Heath start a new thread and act like it was no big deal and let everyone know he closed a hard gripper a bunch of times? No. So, besides the first MAJOR reason of having to start a whole new MM thread, those are a couple minor reasons.

John Wood is spot on as usual. Well put John.

I suggest tap dancing and accordion playing during the rest intervals.

One other thing ... rule 5 is not always invoked without bias. Wanna, please re-read the mash monster thread. In a fair world, that thread should have been locked after Heath's disclosure of his success with the new challenge gripper. It wasn't locked, or even questioned, because we all know Heath did exactly what he said he did. But is that really the point?

Mike M.

i had not read the MashMonster thread until now......interesting comparison.

1 minute intervals....wow the possibilities are endless,humorous or otherwise...however(and I'm quite serious)Tommy reading his favorite scripture would be apropriate and inspiring.I think he'll hit 60 plus!

You guys are losing me! Why should that thread have been closed? An unknown-strength gripper is being sent to six of our best for their appraisal of its relative

difficulty.

Should each of those six not comment if it turns out to be harder than other 3s,

and they should comment if it turns out to be easier?

Heath got, what 7 singles, not 55.

Roark - The only reason is because Heath got 7 singles and a silent grind out of the gripper which is intended to define world class crushing ability. It is therefore a world class effort (by definition). That's all, and please don't take me too seriously on this as I believe we are splitting some hairs here. I just feel like Tommy gets a raw deal from time to time. I find amusement in his matter of fact writing style, others find irritation.

Mike M.