New to bending- 3/16” or 1/4” steel rods?

Noobishindi

New to bending

I’ve decided to delve into the world of bending! I have no real experience in doing so, I’ve bent a handful of 20d and 30d nails, the 40d seemed impossible but after reviewing a few tutorial videos I adjusted my technique and bent it also. 

I’m going to be purchasing the cordura wraps from Ironmind (as opposed to just wrapping leather gloves around the edge of the nail!) and will be purchasing cold rolled steel through my work. 

Should I be looking to get 3/16” or 1/4” steel rods as a starting point? Right now I’m just going to be practicing technique because I have to refer back to the tutorial videos often to double check hand placement etc! 

Edited by Noobishindi
  • Like 1

Here's my thoughts for what they are worth. I suggest getting the 1/4" in both Hot Rolled and Cold Rolled if possible. They will give the most variety, especially if you are able to get in it longer sticks and cut it down yourself. You might also want to look into getting 6" Timber Ties as well. 

As for wraps the IM cordura wraps take some breaking in and have a learning curve, so lots of chalk. I would also suggest reaching out to Devin Hoover (instagram @eatchalkgetbig) or Chris Rider (instagram @hairculese), for leather/suede wraps. The leather/suede will be easier to work with while learning. 

Hope this helps you with your journey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 9:18 AM, Noobishindi said:

Should I be looking to get 3/16” or 1/4” steel rods as a starting point? Right now I’m just going to be practicing technique because I have to refer back to the tutorial videos often to double check hand placement etc! 

You can get some 3/16" stock, and cut it down to 5-6" to try and get some work in with acclimation to the wraps and friction to the hands, while getting some easy reps in with good technique.  A suggestion for when you are starting out is to film your attempts, so that you can see your hand position to your elbows and torso.  A lot of times, the way you think you are bending is not the way you are really bending.

As mentioned, 1/4 x 7" HRS is a good option to transition to different types of 1/4" stock.  Try to find a consistent supply of good HRS, as some of the stock you may find will be way too easy and serve no purpose whatsoever.  Same thing with the 60d timber ties.  I had a bucket of galvanized ones years ago, which I used during warmups.  These nails gave the perfect resistance during the first few bends.  Hoping to find something similar, I recently bought a small box of timber ties but sadly, they bend like butter.

If you're getting IMPs from Ironmind, I'd pick up some Yellow Nails too.  I've bent a lot of 1/4" stock over the years and have liked the consistency of the Yellow Nails.  It might be more expensive then some other variations you can buy locally, but I've wasted a lot of money on subpar, easy 1/4 CRS that I've picked up at hardware stores etc.  When I do find a good source, I'll buy a ton of it though.  Dial-in your technique and form with the 1/4 x 7" stock and don't rush it.  You'll start making progress and will be able to move up in difficulty soon.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 8:50 AM, Brett said:

Here's my thoughts for what they are worth. I suggest getting the 1/4" in both Hot Rolled and Cold Rolled if possible. They will give the most variety, especially if you are able to get in it longer sticks and cut it down yourself. You might also want to look into getting 6" Timber Ties as well. 

As for wraps the IM cordura wraps take some breaking in and have a learning curve, so lots of chalk. I would also suggest reaching out to Devin Hoover (instagram @eatchalkgetbig) or Chris Rider (instagram @hairculese), for leather/suede wraps. The leather/suede will be easier to work with while learning. 

Hope this helps you with your journey. 

On 3/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, Buccos1 said:

You can get some 3/16" stock, and cut it down to 5-6" to try and get some work in with acclimation to the wraps and friction to the hands, while getting some easy reps in with good technique.  A suggestion for when you are starting out is to film your attempts, so that you can see your hand position to your elbows and torso.  A lot of times, the way you think you are bending is not the way you are really bending.

As mentioned, 1/4 x 7" HRS is a good option to transition to different types of 1/4" stock.  Try to find a consistent supply of good HRS, as some of the stock you may find will be way too easy and serve no purpose whatsoever.  Same thing with the 60d timber ties.  I had a bucket of galvanized ones years ago, which I used during warmups.  These nails gave the perfect resistance during the first few bends.  Hoping to find something similar, I recently bought a small box of timber ties but sadly, they bend like butter.

If you're getting IMPs from Ironmind, I'd pick up some Yellow Nails too.  I've bent a lot of 1/4" stock over the years and have liked the consistency of the Yellow Nails.  It might be more expensive then some other variations you can buy locally, but I've wasted a lot of money on subpar, easy 1/4 CRS that I've picked up at hardware stores etc.  When I do find a good source, I'll buy a ton of it though.  Dial-in your technique and form with the 1/4 x 7" stock and don't rush it.  You'll start making progress and will be able to move up in difficulty soon.

You could do a hell of a lot worse than listen to these two, who have said prty much everything I would.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

For me, not particularly strong as a baseline, 3/16" is too easy to get a good feel for technique. 

I'd start with 1/4×7 hrs from the hardware store, single ironmind pads. If you can't bend that, just keep trying with different techniques until it moves.

• Like 1