Joe Sullivan’s Grip training log

Joe Sullivan

Also did double baby inch 125s deadlifts for 3 sets of 15. 
and baby inch rows to failure 4 sets 

• Like 1

Strong workout Joe! You lifted the inch very easy and your IM axle great form.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Strong workout Joe! You lifted the inch very easy and your IM axle great form.

Thanks,  big Mike. Very happy to be back in action... hope to get better and better. I just wish my back didn’t feel so weird in this territory. 

• Like 1

2 3/8 inch axle day 

300 3x10

340 attempt 

https://youtube.com/shorts/gFOGL7TKkD4?feature=share

level inch dumbbell 172 lifts 

baby inch 125 rows

5x8

4 sets of 1

double baby inch farmers walks 

60 feet x 3

DAA5F2A3-F12E-4A6F-91EE-51C570392A42.png

Baby Thomas inch dumbbell rows

125 pounds for 3x20

• Like 1

2 3/8 inch axle 

325 for Multiple sets of 2

150 pound bell fat gripz rows

3x6 reps

150 pound hex bell  with fat Grips AMRAP one hand deads

Arm wrestling table cable column wrist wrench curls and riser with eagle loops 4x15 rep sets each 

• Like 1

Awesome workout Joe! 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:21 PM, Joe Sullivan said:

Baby Thomas inch dumbbell rows

125 pounds for 3x20

Rower supreme no doubt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Rower supreme no doubt!

Thanks Mike! Definitely a strong point in my repertoire! Yours as well!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Awesome workout Joe! 

My favorite one of the week! The one I look forward to most!

• Like 1

320 pound 2 inch bar neutral grip pull  260 bwt and 60 pounds of chains

4 sets of 4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Iron mind axle 

353 5x5

inch dumbbell 172 rows. Haven’t tried this since 2019 
https://youtube.com/shorts/HnMyt7JiODI?feature=share

offset dumbbell preacher curls for pronation 70 pound 3 sets of 15

50 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Can you set your hand so that some of the roll is taken out before setting the quarters? Kind of like taking the slack out of a deadlift.

I don’t know what you mean, brother. I just set the coins on the top and lifted. Can you describe better? DM me on IG .

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

Can you set your hand so that some of the roll is taken out before setting the quarters? Kind of like taking the slack out of a deadlift.

Ok I now See what you’re saying, the way I did it made it harder on myself Than It had to be . So put my hand on the handle and take out the slack and then place the quarters on the globes  and then lift  because of the wrist breaking factor! I’ll try that next time!!

Joe-

when you deadlift with the close grip doesn’t that help at the top? I put my hands just wide enough so at the top my thumbs don’t get the help from leaning on the legs, or pelvic area. Not saying you’re cheating, just wondering if you noticed the help and if it’s still as good.

13 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Joe-

when you deadlift with the close grip doesn’t that help at the top? I put my hands just wide enough so at the top my thumbs don’t get the help from leaning on the legs, or pelvic area. Not saying you’re cheating, just wondering if you noticed the help and if it’s still as good.

I’ve had back and neck surgery and this position is the only way I can dead lift comfortably so I don’t know.I’ve had back and neck surgery and this position is the only way I can dead lift comfortably so I don’t know.

13 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Joe-

I’ve always deadlifted conventional before the back and neck surgery. I don’t think it makes a difference grip wise for me at all. This is more of a conventional narrow sumo hybrid for comfort sake.

That sucks about the surgery! You gotta do what you can. 
it does make a grip difference at the top but it’s still helpful.

6 minutes ago, slazbob said:

That sucks about the surgery! You gotta do what you can. 
it does make a grip difference at the top but it’s still helpful.

I don’t think so... once I have it locked out the lift is done. Are you saying because of where my hands are? That it’s helping my grip? I don’t think so... once it’s up there any incidental body contact is kind of a moot point. It’s already up there and completed.... and lots of people I’ve seen lift the same way... so are the lifts not valid? Of course not. And the fact that I continue to lift the 353 for 5 reps indicates it’s of no help because if I couldn’t lift it I would not be breaking the ground and standing upright with the weight for all those reps. Try it yourself and see. I see no difference whatsoever as to whether you complete the lift or not. But this is the grip board and there is always some nerdy find on a lift that no one would have ever even thought of. So I guess you can take your 5 rep max like I just did and experiment for yourself and see.... but I don’t know what it would prove as to everyone’s body mechanics is different and 353 for 5 on an iron mind axle is 353 for 5.... 

Well, I’m no Nerd Joseph....

and I just started axel training and found with my hands (thumbs) getting to press up to my body, I can control the rolling out of my hands. I’m a noob at it and see and feel it. Yeah the lift is completed, but without that help of the holding against the body it will be already in your fingers rolling out and the lowering will not be in control at max attempts.  You don’t have to get triggered 

Edited by slazbob

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slazbob said:

and I just started axel training and found with my hands (thumbs) getting to press up to my body, I can control the rolling out of my hands. I’m a noob at it and see and feel it. Yeah the lift is completed, but without that help of the holding against the body it will be already in your fingers rolling out and the lowering will not be in control at max attempts.  You don’t have to get triggered 

Edited by Joe Sullivan

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slazbob said:

I have no interest in going back and forth With this, but you are basically saying my hands are touching my thighs increasing my ability to make the lift... I’m not seeing or feeling that and it only happens at the top after the lift is complete...so .. whatever you say man. It’s easier, not easier...  but I can tell you it’s the way I lift due to back surgery.  Keep lifting my man... and post some axle lifts for everyone’s enjoyment!

Edited by Joe Sullivan

14 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I have no interest in going back and forth With this, but you are basically saying my hands are touching my thighs increasing my ability to make the lift... I’m not seeing or feeling that and it only happens at the top after the lift is complete...so .. whatever you say man. It’s easier, not easier...  but I can tell you it’s the way I lift due to back surgery.  Keep lifting my man... and post some axle lifts for everyone’s enjoyment!

And I do enjoy seeing them Joe! No worries 

• Like 1