Joe Sullivan’s Grip training log

Joe Sullivan

3 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

A hex dumbbell with fat gripz feels exactly like inch dumbbells. They are are all one piece like the inch...and they have the same kind of feel when lifting them... I don’t know what you would have to lift on one to lift the inch though because mine is set at between 140 and 145 pounds right now and I can lift it 10 x each hand in a set with the fat gripz so I don’t know man...

That’s, cool ...I guess if I can do 10 with 140lbs. I’ll be close. I’ll have to see on Saturday where I stand. Thanks!

54 minutes ago, slazbob said:

That’s, cool ...I guess if I can do 10 with 140lbs. I’ll be close. I’ll have to see on Saturday where I stand. Thanks!

I can do more than 10 if I only do one hand and not alternate...the 20 reps total with the 2 hands takes a lot out of you..... just so you are aware. Do you have a 140 pound hex bell? Because it will not be the name on a regular dumbbell with plates. It won’t have the same action. 

4 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I can do more than 10 if I only do one hand and not alternate...the 20 reps total with the 2 hands takes a lot out of you..... just so you are aware. Do you have a 140 pound hex bell? Because it will not be the name on a regular dumbbell with plates. It won’t have the same action. 

I have an Iron Mind big boy dumbbell which I can tighten the collars with a wrench. I also have Holle-it-up dumbbell from Arm Assassin. The latter being closest to the rotation of the inch that I can imagine.

6 hours ago, slazbob said:

I have an Iron Mind big boy dumbbell which I can tighten the collars with a wrench. I also have Holle-it-up dumbbell from Arm Assassin. The latter being closest to the rotation of the inch that I can imagine.

Yea the big boy dumbbell is only 2 inches I believe so that wouldn’t be the same. Now if you had a dumbbell with a regular handle you can slap a 2.5 inch handle on and tighten the plates then it would be the same. You’d have to lift I’m guessing over 200 on the 2 inch handle.

6 hours ago, slazbob said:

Never mind, I forgot the big boy dumbbell is a standard size thickness, I used to have them and stupidly gave them away before I ever got into grip. That would be perfect.

1 hour ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Never mind, I forgot the big boy dumbbell is a standard size thickness, I used to have them and stupidly gave them away before I ever got into grip. That would be perfect.

Yes, they are a tad over standard because  the handle is used as an inside collar. 

3 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Yes, they are a tad over standard because  the handle is used as an inside collar. 

I would estimate 160 on a 2.5 inch fat gripz style attachment to translate to an inch lift on tightened plates.

5 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I would estimate 160 on a 2.5 inch fat gripz style attachment to translate to an inch lift on tightened plates.

Thank you, Joe!

• Like 1

2 of these set to arrive this week for farmers walks, shrugs and high rep deadlifts and table top curls. Can’t wait  

189AB8DF-8F35-4502-B0DE-BFCFD8C7BB6B.png

• Like 6

2 3/8 inch vertical bar 3x10 328 pounds 

Pinch block preacher curls

40 pounds 3x5

sledgehammer face levers 

8 pounds x10

12 pounds x10

16 pounds x 10

20 x 6
super set thick bar pull ups and pushups 4 sets each 

front levers from the floor to face lever

3 sets of max reps 

• Like 1

Today was not supposed to be thick bar day... but my double 125s baby inches arrived soooo....

Baby inch rows 4x10

baby inch deadlifts 4x10

Baby inch farmers walks.

3 rounds

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Joe-

how do you get those 125’s?

Contact Jake Sahlaney at sahlaney.iron@gmail.com

Awesome thick bar day

2 3/8 axle reps PRs

3 plates x 8

3 plates and 5s x 5

Double baby inch Deadlifts 

3x10

Also did 3x8  baby inch dumbbell rows 

2.5 inch one arm dumbbell  concentration curls 

50 pounds x 10 reps 

push ups between each set 

• Like 1

Strong Reps PR on the 2 3/8" Axle Joe! Big boy workout for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Strong Reps PR on the 2 3/8" Axle Joe! Big boy workout for sure.

One of the best I’ve had in ages. Feels good to be sticking with meat and potatoes lifts. My workouts are much shorter but with a lot more bang for my buck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hopefully said:

You look to be at a healthy weight Joe, must feel good 👍

This is my normal body weight. This is what I weighed 21 years ago in the marines. My body loves to stay at this weight with no effort. When I got into grip I ate and ate and got up to near 300 pounds thinking the more I ate the better for strength (which is true for me) and felt like crap. Now I sit between 250 and 260 at 6’4. Never gets out of breathe and don’t snore or get headaches like I did in the 290s.... wasn’t doing myself any service being that big. Thanks bro!

6 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Great 👍 I know what you mean, I've lost a bit and got a few kgs to go but besides strength literally everything else is better.

Well good news is I only lost excess body fat and my strength appears to be going up so I’m happy with that.

2 3/8 inch double vertical bar

375 3x5 reps

2.5 inch Saxon bar

225 3x5 reps

Thick bar concentration curls 

55 pound 2 3/8 inch dumbbells 

3x8 regular and hammers STRICT

reverse fat grips extreme barbell curls 

push ups in between each set

also... found another use for my double V bar handles 

https://youtube.com/shorts/QEEtnOt2LpQ

• Like 1

2 3/8 inch axle 

320 for 3 sets of 3

Won’t let me post the video for some reason.  It’s on my IG At hammerforged1978

https://youtube.com/shorts/u4_k_LSeuy8

baby inch rows 125 pounds

3x15

60 pound 2 3/8 inch dumbbell 

concentration curls 4x8

• Like 1

Also... repainted the 172 as 

Goldilocks....

21A9EB58-03C2-4939-920F-03F8507E59D3.jpeg

• Like 1

Double 2 3/8 inch vertical bar 

375 3 sets of 5

400  3sets of 1

saxon bar 2.5 inch 

225 5x5

Tried some iron mind axle And Thomas inch 172 today for the first time in 15 months. Good starting points: my back surgery doesn’t like anything from the floor approaching 400 as well as heavy one hand lifts so I have to take it slow and ease into it.

355 for 3x3

360x3

https://youtube.com/shorts/AZB-HTg7X5c

inch dumbbell 172

https://youtube.com/shorts/8UOZH5gE7bE

• Like 1