Crush training

yodajaeger

Hello

I am an old, ex bender (primarily dabbling in horseshoes and some overhand short bending), who has started again (with overhead bending). And I have a question :)
I have two major sticking points in my training, 90 degrees and the final part of the crush, lets say the last 5 mm or so (especially with springy/bouncy steel).

Back when I was active the collective wisdom to break through a sticking point was Isos at the sticking point or volume. However, my problem is that I plateau/burn out very easily at these two points. For example, more bending isos or more bending volume takes me exactly nowhere. 
So I wonder. Does anyone have any recommendations about alternative ways of strengthening these particular areas of the bend. I.e. assistance exercises you have discovered making your bend stronger. I have seen that my kink/sweep goes up when my overhead press and floor press goes up. But I am having problem finding anything that works for these problem areas. Any tips recommended, except for more bending ;)

/Henrik

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yodajaeger said:

Any tips recommended, except for more bending ;)

I think it´s not the answer you would like to hear, but:

it´s more bending!
There are nearly no typical excercises who could help in this positions.

If you burn out on more volume or the isos you are going to hard in it, perhaps.
Try to increase the volume or the isos over weeks and months. Start light and only go harder on these from session to session.
If you go too hard everytime, you are going exactly nowhere, it´s like in the normal training world.
And give te body and the hands the time to rest. If you are burned then take a week off and start after this week a little lighter than before adn start the little increase again.

What bar or steel are the plateaus at the moment?
Maybe you can work with other materials or lengths to overcome this.

• Like 1

The crush is now around 7" 8.8 zinc bolts. It just bounces back

90 degrees, 6" bastards from around 10 years ago. No idea how hard they are. 

Extremely frustrating, I wanted to slay my last bucket list item in bending, the edgin. 

Stainless Steel bars 8mm and CRS 9mm bars could be helpfull for you in this positions.

SS 303 and 304 and you can hit these angles without burning it down every session

If you know your kink is stronger you can wrap deeper. It’ll make the kink harder but it’ll help create a sharper arch and thus making the sweep and crushdown a little easier. This works primarily for double wraps. With singles it doesn’t work as well.

Vilken jävla tajming! Jag har själv nyligen börjat böja igen för några veckor sedan!

3 hours ago, David_wigren said:

If you know your kink is stronger you can wrap deeper. It’ll make the kink harder but it’ll help create a sharper arch and thus making the sweep and crushdown a little easier. This works primarily for double wraps. With singles it doesn’t work as well.

Vilken jävla tajming! Jag har själv nyligen börjat böja igen för några veckor sedan!

Haha! just for fun or for some particular goals?

7 minutes ago, yodajaeger said:

Haha! just for fun or for some particular goals?

It’s my primary focus atm. I want to see if I can improve my horseshoe bending and take it beyond where it was before. I’ve ordered horseshoes in incremental steps all the way up to the shared #1 spot on the top-20 list. For unbraced I want to do some of Horrido’s certs. I want to hit the 10.9 bolt DO, which will require some training for me. Depending on how hard the 8.8 bolts from Horrido are I’d like to see if I can maybe work up to doing them DU and reverse. But if the 8.8 bolts turn out to be very hard then I’ll settle for some short A2 bolts.

• Like 3