Joe Kinney “Secret Weapon”

maidenfan

Btw a member here actually did do a 20 rep squat with 4 plates on a regular barbell and uploaded it here. It was in direct response to a previous Joe Kinney thread actually.

13 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Wow, interesting! I had no idea of barch jump controversy.

any links to this stuff? ✋ Hold on the penis tho... I’m only interested in written links. Possibly including quotes of his exact claims?..

also, was there any chance his 50” vertical claim may have simply gotten confused with a 50” box jump? I ask because while a 50” vertical is indeed world class, a 50” box jump not so much. Even though still impressive! And if there is confusion there, who perpetrated it? IMO it makes all the difference.

no interest in defending the guy. Would just enjoy some clarification on it. And yes, I’m being lazy and skipping doing my own search. 🤷🏼‍♂️😬

Yeah, I was lazy myself in that I didn't save anything. It will probably be the weekend before I dig too deeply. But here are two links/videos:

Excuse me while I retrieve the second one.

Okay, I am back:

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Yeah, I was lazy myself in that I didn't save anything. It will probably be the weekend before I dig too deeply. But here are two links/videos:

Excuse me while I retrieve the second one.

Okay, I am back:

Okay I’ll address the penisgate pic since I can’t unsee it. If he had reached the apex of his jump just before the still, his junk could be moving about due to that pic being taken at the exact moment he began to descend. I mean a wiener ain’t gonna stay put under those circumstances. So I find it to be a bit of a non point. Or, if it must be a point, it’s a rather small one anyways....

while it’s easy to assume it’s faked given there doesn’t seem to be any video of the jumps, I would think a still will always better clearly illustrate the height of a jump than a video will. Box jump videos aren’t a problem. Because you either got up on the box or you didn’t, and we can measure the box at any moment before or after the jump. But vertical jumps where you don’t have slap sticks to get an accurate measurement and a camera is your only proof?.. not so much if your wanting to record an exact height for posterity reasons. Stills are better than video in that case.

I wouldn’t be so bold as to suggest he was letting go of the hoop as he took the penisgate pic.. because that would also suggest he just did a 1 arm muscle up just before he then shot his hand upward when letting go of the hoop for the pic. And that feat (a 1 arm muscle up) I would find even more unbelievable than the jump. Especially at 210lbs.

but I don’t see why he wouldn’t just get video of him jumping and reaching for slap sticks instead...🤷🏼‍♂️

but for conversations sake, and also to not describe his situation as something bigger than it is, instead of penisgate, why don’t we call it buttononafurcoatgate? 😆

Edited by Tommy J.

Everyone has heard the saying "beating a dead horse"

This thread is akin to a horse that has been exhumed after 20yrs and its bones were used to beat a pile of dead horses.

• Like 2

Out of respect for the horses and their riders (dead, buried, or otherwise) I think we're past time for a thread lock.

This one has left the ballpark when it comes to getting off-topic.

1 hour ago, gripmaniac said:

Out of respect for the horses and their riders (dead, buried, or otherwise) I think we're past time for a thread lock.

This one has left the ballpark when it comes to getting off-topic.

Indeed comrade, this free expression is dangerous and far too privileged. Lock it all down we must ✊✊✊

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Indeed comrade, this free expression is dangerous and far too privileged. Lock it all down we must ✊✊✊

Nailed it!

Btw since when did a Kinney thread ever not break the rules just by existing?

these look like the rules to me: pay close attention to the underlined ones.  

(Not defending Joe by saying... just stating the obvious)

Every one of them happens to Joe every time a Kinney thread opens.

9787FECE-732C-406A-B89C-3BD606090828.thumb.png.ea8663933ce081f01e5637348af53d90.png

but hey... as long as we stay “on topic” and only shit-post about Kinney it’s all good.

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Nailed it!

Btw since when did a Kinney thread ever not break the rules just by existing?

these look like the rules to me: pay close attention to the underlined ones.  

(Not defending Joe by saying... just stating the obvious)

Every one of them happens to Joe every time a Kinney thread opens.

9787FECE-732C-406A-B89C-3BD606090828.thumb.png.ea8663933ce081f01e5637348af53d90.png

but hey... as long as we stay “on topic” and only shit-post about Kinney it’s all good.

So far no nudes of Joe have been posted lmao. Guess the thread is still young though

• Haha 2

Does anyone believe that beyond the range training will make you faster at the close? 
I feel you will be stronger in a tighter position with the handles, but not faster.

if you ran uphill, would your speed be at its top range? Probably not...only if your legs were made lighter as you inclined.

closing something that gets harder as it goes, and speeding up as you do it has me baffled.

can anyone give an explanation of this phenomenon? 

30 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I think I already did, I think it makes perfect sense 🤔 I can close a 2 slowly and then smashing it in the end, if the gripper is easy for you I can't really see what's weird about it.

On another note I have personally seen just about zero benefits of beyond the range training.

I don’t know what you mean that you have never seen benefits from beyond the range training- you can close your no.2 faster at the close!

id say you’re killing it

48 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Yup it's easy, just go at half strength the first half of the movement to show my level of control of the gripper, then go full power at the end, which is far more than what's needed to close the gripper and so it goes really fast.

Haha sure does! but it doesn’t speed up at the close. You meet your fastest point before that the way the spring loads. But you can still click it. Thanks for your input!

Probably a random mention.. but it may be relevant to the gripper close speed thing. For me, namely on CCS, there IS a brief moment where the gripper speeds up before the close. And that is shortly after I’m able to close the gripper enough to get my pinky in the fight. Once that happens the close does move faster. But I suppose that sort of thing isn’t really what you guys are referring to.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 2/10/2021 at 2:11 AM, maidenfan said:

Hope everyone is good.  Just a question for the old timers.  I bought an original secret weapon from Joe (hand written letter and all) years back when I was active here.  It sat in my garage for years so I gave it to a friend who I know would use it (or at least keep it in the business)

He puts on all sorts of powerlifting, wresting, and grip competitions and we thought it’d be cool to include it as a “Beat Joe” booth. The problem is I don’t have Joe’s letter or his VHS tape and cannot remember what he was doing for times negatives on it.  All I remember is it was a lot more then I could do on those skinny handles

9CC2B22D-074F-4F21-B5F8-4CC94338AF27.jpeg

Hi Maidenfan, i have the book on Kindel, its called "How to train with Joe Kinney´s secret weapon grip machine".
I only scrolled trough it for you... John Wood says there: " If i recall correctly, Joe Kinney was using somewhere around 200lbs when he was able to clese the #4 so that should give you a good long range goal to shoot for."

I couldn´t finde something about time from Kinney. Somewhere he talks about using 3, 4 or 5counts for himself (Wood).

The book is more like, i do this, i do that, you could do that and...ok Kinney said he has done something like maybe this.

(My opinion 😉 )

4 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I have no idea what the speed thing is about myself 😁 apparently it's impossible to speed up the close or something.

Maybe he's right, I don't know.

I rewatched the video of Kinney’s  close. I’m certain now that what I describe above is not what is being referred to on Kinney’s close. So I suppose my post about a close gaining momentum via the pinky getting on board and into the fight may be a bit of a non point. But hey.. I figured it was worth mentioning.

I said before I have no dog in the fight. I stand by that. And hold no disdain for either side of the debate. In fact, I’m not even annoyed by the debate across the board. I consider debate (in general) a healthy thing. As odd as that may seem to most?.. debate over such frivolousness is good exercise for the day your words may or may not protect something more serious in life. Like a job, a marriage, your reputation, or even your freedom! Fwiw, I hope NO one is EVER having to debate to save any of those things! But in the event you do, you may be glad you spent time engaging in critical/quick thinking via debate.

As the great Bas Rutten once said-

“the only thing you CAN control going into a fight is your conditioning. And not conditioning yourself is the most foolish mistake you can make.”

I am aware that often times during a debate, especially as it relates to world class performances, sometimes certain details are unclear. And as a result, possibly cause even more head scratching and unnecessary confusion on the matter than not. Especially in text. Here’s an example of how easily something as simple and as overlooked as punctuation can completely change the message of a written sentence.

“A woman without her man is nothing.”

vs.

”A Woman: without her, man is nothing.”

that said, sometimes people make similar mistakes when actually speaking. Via their tone, body language, or even cases where someone was actually thinking of details that could clarify as they spoke cliff notes, but for whatever reason, they forgot to mention them, couldn’t spit them out, OR they were flat out intentionally letting you be misled. It’s important to sort of “grill” those details out of someone sometimes. ...if need be of course.

which was more what I was getting at earlier on the 440 for 60 reps squat thing. I think that was more of a miscommunication as opposed to a blatant world class claim, like many have taken it over the years. But then again, this is only my opinion. As Joe could be the only one to clarify. However, it could also be Joes intent to not correct the miscommunication there. So as to allow others to “think” his squat exploits were stronger than they were. Only Joe could clarify.

all I’m saying is try not to be so quick to take something and run with it. Choose the healthy debate route instead.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, Hopefully said:

Personally I don't enjoy debates and I seldom see anything productive coming out of it, online that is. Mostly I think it's a waste of time and energy. Unfortunately I still find myself stuck in it every now and then for whatever reason 😁

I’m going to assume that you meant this part to be comically ironic. Lol

On 2/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, Hopefully said:

Personally I don't enjoy debates and I seldom see anything productive coming out of it, online that is. Mostly I think it's a waste of time and energy. Unfortunately I still find myself stuck in it every now and then for whatever reason 😁I think the squat issue was cleared up in 2014 already over at the Ironmind forum, Joe addresses it on all accounts from what I recall. The thing is that the squat thing has been around for too long for people to change their mind. Joe's initial claim will always be taken at face value no matter what.

I’ve never bothered skimming through Joes sentiments. My guess is that what I was saying above about the miscommunication on that topic was strikingly on point?

if so, one could conclude that when I say debate is indeed important, you now have proof. As it should illustrate that, as a result of my own prior debates, (thousands of them!), I wasn’t one of the non-critical thinkers that so many others were on the matter. And instead was able to come to my own more realistic (and probably accurate?) assumption without need for any mud flinging.

I do know that there is no debate he used the same gripper  for Both the certification and video. 

finally proof of shenanigans and crickets. Maybe it’s not interesting to talk about anymore and people have moved on. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, slazbob said:

I do know that there is no debate he used the same gripper  for Both the certification and video. 

finally proof of shenanigans and crickets. Maybe it’s not interesting to talk about anymore and people have moved on. 

I don’t disagree that there are question marks with the gripper. Very odd actually!

I have a hard time fathoming losing the only cert #4 at the time.

hell, I keep my cert #3 pretty guarded.. it’s a really cool trophy if nothing else. Even though that isn’t a super rare accomplishment. No way I’d lose a cert #4 and not be foaming at the mouth.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I don’t disagree that there are question marks with the gripper. Very odd actually!

I have a hard time fathoming losing the only cert #4 at the time.

hell, I keep my cert #3 pretty guarded.. it’s a really cool trophy if nothing else. Even though that isn’t a super rare accomplishment. No way I’d lose a cert #4 and not be foaming at the mouth.

Haha for sure! But that’s the story behind it...when asked to calibrate his gripper he said it was “stold” in that “secret letter’s” story. That’s the one he sent the pictures to Iron Mind for certification.

then of course, he said he bought another from his friend -and used that one in the video . and later sent that one, to be measured. 
but, my opinion is, it’s the same gripper he used for the pictures . It’s identical with the stamp position and the dink in the bottom to the upper right of the stamp...it’s basically a finger print for that gripper- odds of both being identical seem very very doubtful.

you can see it in the video when he shows the stamp and the light hits it just before he uses the quarters to measure the spring. Then just take a look at the Milo...inside the cover is the largest picture so you can see it better.

I still got a lot out of his story that’s helpful, and not regretting any money I’ve spent. 
he probably figured a gripper is a gripper and never looked for the details we have the ability to do looking back. His story needed less talking for sure! The Monster gripper coming out after all these years..Randall is the only one who said he “knew” about it. And he gave Heath one of the springs 4 years later but Heath never mentioned if Joe said “this is what I used.” Funny thing...in the video of him and John Wood, he talked about using it in the door frame ...and later they’re showing his pictures of him changing plates on his wrist roller and you can see a hole in the door frame. So maybe he did have it back then.

then the crazy squat stories...which never bothered me; I knew he was pulling himself up on every rep so that skews things. But John Wood was feeding Joe’s ego with so much interest and praise that I think Joe was just spitting out things to make John go Gaga haha. Like telling him about the grip machine “I did a lot weight and a lot of reps there’d be blood on the weights...it just squeezes out from under you finger nails.”

but, of course in his original video when showing how he used the grip machine, he tells us “of course if I was gonna go heavy, I’d put on a pair of gloves.” So you see there was no blood on the weights with gloves on. Haha little things like that you notice when you really look. 
if that is the same gripper, and I’m positive it is, you have only one answer why you had to make it disappear: it wasn’t official. 

Edited by slazbob
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cannon said:

@slazbobJust to be clear, you’re saying these two pix confirm beyond a doubt that the two grippers are one in the same? 

86608FE8-D32F-4A87-9F75-7E1C22EA6543.jpeg

Matt, thanks for saving me the trouble of buying an ancient MILO

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

@slazbobJust to be clear, you’re saying these two pix confirm beyond a doubt that the two grippers are one in the same? 

86608FE8-D32F-4A87-9F75-7E1C22EA6543.jpeg

Yes, sir... you see the dot to the  upper right ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, slazbob said:

This one is more clearer ....hopefully you can prove me wrong?

No, I can’t prove anything. I also can’t say I see anything in the photos. But, also, I’m personally in the “who cares” crowd. 😊