Newbie advice on coc3

Steve

Hi everyone just have got into grippers I just purchased a coc2 and 3,I closed the number 2 with my first attempt and got the 3 down to parallel,this number 3 seems tough as hell,what I’m asking is what is the best way to advance on that gap because I’m baffled how solid it feels,any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers fellas have a good day.

Edited by Steve

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Hi everyone just have got into grippers I just purchased a coc2 and 3,I closed the number 2 with my first attempt and got the 3 down to parallel,this number 3 seems tough as hell,what I’m asking is what is the best way to advance on that gap because I’m baffled how solid it feels,any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers fellas have a good day.

I don’t know if it’s the fastest way to get there but I would probably just keep adding the amount of reps you can do with your 2. Get yourself a 2.5 and when you can do that one for reps start working in attempts with your 3. I have never closed a 3 from a credit card and only closed it a few times from a tighter set so I am no expert. The jump from the 2 to the 3 is huge though I’m not sure how anyone was able to do this before the 2.5 was around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response appreciate this I will put this in my training and get a 2.5 thanks fella 

Also watch some videos from here on the gripboard and/or Youtube on how to set and close grippers.  Usually you will improve a lot at the very beginning just by getting better technique.  How you set the gripper is very important.  You should be able to set the gripper almost to parallel with the help of your other hand, and then in effect be starting the close from parallel.  This gives you better starting position and less distance to go than closing from a wider set, and is thus easier, so you may see some improvement in how close you get to the 3 right away. 

But then I'd still think it would be helpful to have something in between the 2 and the 3 to work with until the 3 gets more doable.  I had a 2.5 for that.  Now I have 3s with ratings ranging from 143 to 160, so that there is always something hard for me to do, and also some easier 3.5s waiting in the wings if I ever get that good (but haven't been able to get them yet!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://cannonpowerworks.com/collections/grip-strength-training-equipment/products/baraban-adjustable-handgripper

This is the second best way. Best is to buy a wide range of torsion spring grippers that are rated to fill gaps but that will cost you about five times as much as getting one adjustable gripper to train with.

Edit: Just saw you're in England. Then buy the Vulcan adjustable from David Horne instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Also watch some videos from here on the gripboard and/or Youtube on how to set and close grippers.  Usually you will improve a lot at the very beginning just by getting better technique.  How you set the gripper is very important.  You should be able to set the gripper almost to parallel with the help of your other hand, and then in effect be starting the close from parallel.  This gives you better starting position and less distance to go than closing from a wider set, and is thus easier, so you may see some improvement in how close you get to the 3 right away. 

But then I'd still think it would be helpful to have something in between the 2 and the 3 to work with until the 3 gets more doable.  I had a 2.5 for that.  Now I have 3s with ratings ranging from 143 to 160, so that there is always something hard for me to do, and also some easier 3.5s waiting in the wings if I ever get that good (but haven't been able to get them yet!).

Thanks for all your responses I really appreciate it and I will definitely get a Vulcan gripper😃