Feb 2021 Diesel Crush Classic - Rivellese report

Vinnie

Jedd did it again, another great comp at the Peak Fitness gym in Wyalusing, PA.  12 competitors appeared, including (and I omit some last names and may err as to one or two who I don't know well) Jedd the promoter, Jason Dingey and his wife Melissa, Lance (a big strong guy I hadn't met before), Tim Butler, Clint Z, Tank Andrade, Tom Flesher, Mike McMillen, Mike's brother Jeff, Aaron (a teenager who I've seen at comps before), and me.

It was sponsored by Country Crush, so in addition to a 20mm block set gripper close and a 2-inch Saxon bar lift, we did four Country Crush rolling handles for a six-event comp.  Those four handles were a 2-inch 2-hand, a 3-inch 2-hand, a 2.5-inch 1-hand, and a 3-inch 1-hand.  Because Country Crush gave Jedd $500 for prize money, well, there was the possibility of prize money, and there were a few weight classes so to win mine, I wouldn't have to beat the large folk like Jedd, Jason, Lance, and Tim.  Jedd also suggested that there be two betting pools, one for him, Jason, Lance, and Tim, and one for the rest of us -- for each event, the folks in each of those two groups could throw a ten into the basket and whoever won that event for that group would take the cash in that basket.

I don't see results posted yet, so my recollection of my own lifts being incomplete, I cannot give a thorough or accurate recounting of the results across the board.  But I do recall that I had a good day. 

First, I was honored that NO ONE besides me put $10 into the basket for the gripper event, which I took as a serious compliment even though the big four were not in my group.  It meant they thought I'd win that event for the smaller guys.  I had fiddled with the grippers beforehand and easily MMS-closed the 145 for a double and the 150 for a single, all no chalk -- so I chalked up and went for the 150 on my first attempt hoping to then get more on a subsequent attempt.  And the 150 closed so solidly even having to pass the block through, which usually throws me off, that I would have bet I would get the 155 on one of my next tries.  However, I did not even get close on the 155, so I did my 3rd and 4th attempts on the 160 and damn near made it on the last try.  But nah.  I think that was a hard 155 and an easy 160, but I just didn't have enough for either.  I left that event with the 150 I got on the first attempt, but since my previous contest PR on grippers from 2 years ago was 140, and the 150 was my goal for the day and went down real easy on the first try, I was still very happy with that result.  And with the flattery, even though I only won back my own $10.

Then we did the 2-inch country crush, 2-hands, and I got 327, which is more than my max axle, so that was decent for me.  I missed 337 by a hair on my last attempt, and probably would have made it if I had added a plate to the block to stand on, which I did for the later events in order to make sure I didn't miss the cross-bar even while locking out.

Saxon was third, and there I had hoped to get 215.  I paced so that my final attempt would be 222, and I got it -- pretty easily.  So for fun after my last attempt I tried 232 and got it , then 242, and also thought I got it, although Jedd said I didn't lock out (I think I did, but who cares, it was practice.  Very pleased with 222, since that was above my previous PR.

The last three country crush handles were a blur, but I think I got 249 for the 2-hand 3-inch one, and 130 and 110 or 115 for the two 1-hand ones.

For the day, I ended up taking first in the 83kg weight class, which left me with a $125 purse -- something not common in grip! -- and 4th overall, which felt good, because there were some tough folks there.  Jason Dingey won all.  He really hit it out of the park.  

Thanks to Jedd for the great comp, as usual, to my friends who competed, and to Santa, my girlfriend, for sitting through it and cheering me on.  A great day!

• Like 8

Nice write-up and you put on an impressive day of lifting, you even beat us 93kg lifters!  Congratulations!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JasonD said:

Nice write up. I knew you’d do well on grippers, but you were really impressive in all the events!

Thanks!  That means a lot coming from the champ.  

48 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

Nice write-up and you put on an impressive day of lifting, you even beat us 93kg lifters!  Congratulations!

Thanks!  I should have been 93kg.  They just let me be 83kg because I was about to take off my pants to weigh in ... and no one wants to see that much middle-aged man skin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

Thanks!  I should have been 93kg.  They just let me be 83kg because I was about to take off my pants to weigh in ... and no one wants to see that much middle-aged man skin.

I was 182.9 with sweats on, and I went to take them off, and Jedd said, "Wait, that's 182.85!" lol

(Of course I'd have lopped off half a pound more and easily made it if I had to, just thought it was funny how it went down)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vinnie your reports will one day be the tome of North American grip in the early 21st century 💪💪💪great job on your events and we are looking forward to seeing you this summer 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Vinnie your reports will one day be the tome of North American grip in the early 21st century 💪💪💪great job on your events and we are looking forward to seeing you this summer 

Thank you kindly, sir.  Yes, I'm looking forward to your summer comp.

• Like 1