Wrist Size

Zeeeetk

3 hours ago, Zeeeetk said:

I am wondering if anyone saw any increase in their wrist size over the years? Any input is much appreciated.

Yes, im pretty sure mine used to be less than 8" and now it's 8 and 3/4. Ive also gained a lot of bodyweight so might play a role.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Yes, im pretty sure mine used to be less than 8" and now it's 8 and 3/4. Ive also gained a lot of bodyweight so might play a role.

Same here. From less than 8" to to 8.3" or so.

7 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Same here. From less than 8" to to 8.3" or so.

11 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Interesting. It's probably the tendons just getting bigger. I mainly noticed this is arm wrestlers. As young guys, their wrists are much smaller then say, mid/late career. HGH abuse may also play a role, though.

28 minutes ago, Zeeeetk said:

Interesting. It's probably the tendons just getting bigger. I mainly noticed this is arm wrestlers. As young guys, their wrists are much smaller then say, mid/late career. HGH abuse may also play a role, though.

I have gained roughly 3/4" with wrist size and ~5-7% increase in hand volumetric measurement since I first started grip and AW training in 2012. Consistency over long periods is key and in some cases HGH may be a factor for some but i would put it under 10-15% of AWers, now there are 50%+ that are using other forms of PEDs but generally short cycles but not sure that would account wrist size changes versus someone who has been doing it consistently for an extended period. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeeeetk said:

Possibly just age too but looking at it my wrist looks noticeably wider than it used to be. Especially when considering my hand is a lot thicker than it used to be to compare too.

My dad, grandfather and uncle where all brick masons. They have/had huge wrists and hands.. They are bigger boned naturally but i'm sure years of laying block made them bigger.  My wrists have grown this past year since starting grip training. 

So i'm sure years of working hard with your hands, whether grip training or construction makes them a little bigger. 

When i first got into grip training just over 1 year ago i had tiny 6.75" wrists. The left now measures 7 1/16" still tiny but bigger my wrist tendons have thickened a lot. Ive gained a bit of weight bit years ago i was 10kg heavier but smaller wrists than now so its not bodyweight. 

My hands have thickened up as well. Its slow going though. I now have these 3 bumps between my metacarpals than i can flex. 

Wrists - forearms and hands are about the same as when I started - but my thumb pads seems a bit bigger.  But I didn't start grip until I was 55 - by then I had decades of construction work and lifting - and over 20 years of climbing behind me.  I have gained weight but not a lot since starting - maybe 15# or so in the last 20 years.  

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, Zeeeetk said:

Yup it does grow. The bones might grow just a little but mostly it's tendons, ligaments, muscles and fats etc. I had this conversation with Michael yesterday and he told me when he started training his bones were even thinner than I (Mine is around 8.2) and now he is 8.7 or so. That's in inches. And yes PEDs and especially HGH will surely help a lot. Look at Levan, he wasn't big at all. Now he is a monster.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arne said:

From 20 cm (7,9") to 22,5 cm (8,7").

Awesome. In what sort of time frame are you talking here?

Between to two to three year of heavy griptraining, if I remember correctly. Lots of sets with heavy weight and low reps. That training gave me more strength and thicker tendons.

Edited by Arne

25 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome. In what sort of time frame are you talking here?

Between to two to three year of heavy griptraining, if I remember correctly. Lots of sets with heavy weight and low reps. That training gave me more strength and thicker tendons.

Edited by Arne
Wrong place
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 8:41 AM, Arne said:

Great stuff man. In my first year of grip training mine increase by 3/8". My wrist tendons and extensor tendon on the topside of ny wrist noticeably grew. Its slow going though and they havent increase anymore since im in my 2nd year.

I put it mainly down to lots of plate curls and plate wrist curls that i do. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1