Hopefully
16 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I totally recommend it. 2 hands will increase your 1 hand without training it, its a much faster way of progressing than only training 1 hand at a time. You will be very strong at already

You should be good for about 90kg on 2" if you can do 40kg 1 handed id say. For example say you can lift 90kg and increase that to 100kg which will come quite fast if you focus on it. Your 1 hand pinch will increase without a doubt.

When pinch focused ill focus on 2 3/8 or 60mm 2 hand pinch. I like that width the best.

90kg sounds like alot O.O we'll see.

But allright, the block I use can be used for 2hp as well so I'll try it out next workout and see if I like it 🙂 I'm unsure if my loading pin is long enough since I use big bumper plates but hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopefully

• mcalpine1986

• Anemptybox

• Nuttgens

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems it is a pain keeping track of your workouts without writing stuff down, so I'll start a new log for that reason. Atm I'm doing a lot of pinch work with a knurled block I made. And I

2" handle: 61kg: 1x1 (just a few cm lifts) 59kg: 5x1  57kg: 2x1 ****** 2.4" handle: 40kg: 2x1 35kg:  20x1 or so, didn't count ****** I feel good and health

It's a great tool. Have had mine for awhile but haven't used it much due to gripper obsession. Now I'll really give it a go. No, me neither. I made that one for a few reasons. I'll probably never

mcalpine1986
16 hours ago, Hopefully said:

90kg sounds like alot O.O we'll see.

But allright, the block I use can be used for 2hp as well so I'll try it out next workout and see if I like it 🙂 I'm unsure if my loading pin is long enough since I use big bumper plates but hopefully.

It may sound a lot but if doing 40kg 1 handed you should be around there. Most people do around double 1 handed plus 5-10% 2 handed. 

2 handed gets more wrist action and power delivery from the upper body hence why being able lift more than double 1 handed.

I look forward to seeing your result. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
Hopefully

2" handle:

52kg: 5x1

48kg: 6x1

2.4":

42kg: 2x1 

Left hand 41kg: 1x1

35.5kg: 7x1

Getting good gains. Who would have thought training could provide results, almost started to believe that was a myth 🤔

I think I could do better on the 2.4 handle if I didn't do the 2 beforehand. But I think the smaller handle gives me better training as it suits my hand better since I have small hands, so I want to prioritise that. I don't have any aspirations of lifting the inch db or anything like that anyway.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2
Hopefully

Changed my mind, think I'll alternate them anyway.

Just 1 day of rest, and a fasting day at that. It can't be optimal at all but I felt somewhat strong so I couldn't refrain 🤔

2.4 handle:

46 kg not quite to lockout 2x1

42kg 3x1

40kg 3x1

38kg 4x1

Reverse BB wrist curl 20kg 3x10

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2
mcalpine1986
19 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Changed my mind, think I'll alternate them anyway.

Just 1 day of rest, and a fasting day at that. It can't be optimal at all but I felt somewhat strong so I couldn't refrain 🤔

2.4 handle:

46 kg not quite to lockout 2x1

42kg 3x1

40kg 3x1

38kg 4x1

Reverse BB wrist curl 20kg 3x10

Excellent workout. Do you always train single reps? 

• Thanks 1
Lennix
On 1/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, mcalpine1986 said:

Looks a great session. You do very low volume, do you always just stick to single reps? 

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Excellent workout. Do you always train single reps? 

:D :D :D

• Like 1
mcalpine1986
3 hours ago, Lennix said:

:D :D :D

Damn my bad 🤣 i could well of been drunk when i first asked and forgot or its just my short term Sieve like memory. Hopefully please disregard my comment.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
Hopefully

2" handle:

54kg 4x1 absolute max for left hand, for right hand maybe 2kg from it.

52kg 4x1

50kg 6x1

2.4" handle:

36kg hold 1x1

Rev bb wc: 20kg 3x10

• Like 2
Hopefully

I will try to push up the weights to 65-70kg for 2" handle and 55-60kg for the 2.4" handle, or something like that, I have no idea what's realistic yet but I seem to respond very well to thickbar so far. 

Then I'll try grippers again for a few weeks and see if I can get stronger on them, just because it is interesting.

My expectation and belief is that there will be no carry over whatsoever and I will be far from my best at them even after a few weeks, and that's ok. Unfortunately I haven't been wrong yet about progression on grippers, but hopefully I am this time. 

• Like 3
Hopefully

2" handle:

56kg: 3 or 4x1 (lost track lol)

54kg: 2x1 left hand ** 3x1 right hand

52kg: 3x1 

Grease the groove ghp5

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1
Hopefully

2" handle:

56kg 3x1

2.4" handle:

40kg 5x1

36kg alotx1

Gtg ghp 5

• Like 1
Hopefully

2" handle:

61kg: 1x1 (just a few cm lifts)

59kg: 5x1 

57kg: 2x1

2.4" handle:

40kg: 2x1

35kg:  20x1 or so, didn't count

I feel good and healthy after losing a lot of weight, have maybe 6-7kg to go now. It was so worth it, only wish I'd have started sooner. Hopefully I'll never gain any significant weight again.

On another note I have reached My initial goal with 40kg pinch, and probably 60kg on the 2" handle too. I think I said 50kg on the 2.4" handle first page? So I still have that one to go. I think I can maybe do it already, if i feel good I'll  try next workout.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 4
Nuttgens
6 hours ago, Hopefully said:

2" handle:

61kg: 1x1 (just a few cm lifts)

59kg: 5x1 

57kg: 2x1

2.4" handle:

40kg: 2x1

35kg:  20x1 or so, didn't count

I feel good and healthy after losing a lot of weight, have maybe 6-7kg to go now. It was so worth it, only wish I'd have started sooner. Hopefully I'll never gain any significant weight again.

On another note I have reached My initial goal with 40kg pinch, and probably 60kg on the 2" handle too. I think I said 50kg on the 2.4" handle first page? So I still have that one to go. I think I can maybe do it already, if i feel good I'll  try next workout.

Congrats on the weight loss man. 

• Thanks 1
Hopefully
1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Congrats on the weight loss man. 

Thanks! When I was a teen I bulked up for strength, later I started with calisthenics and lost all the bulk, and promised myself I wouldn't go there again because I hated it. Unfortunately I got really depressed and didn't give a shit so I went up like 25kg and stayed like that for a few years, didn't have the motivation to care. And this time I'll get myself very lean and I very much hope I never gain the weight again, it isn't worth it even for the strength gains, imo. I enjoy being light/lean.

Thanks again 👍🙂

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2
Hopefully

2.4" handle:

Only had Up to 46kg in me today.

1x1 46kg

8x1 40kg

6x1 37kg

2" handle:

47kg 20x1

2.4" handle again

50kg 20x1 lifting without spin

Probably blew right through my mrv by a few miles today XD but whatever, it was fun. I think I'll start lifting the 2.4" handle without spin and shoot for some bigger weights for awhile, seems fun and I think it's productive as well. While still lifting the 2" with spin.

• Like 1
Anemptybox
On 2/18/2021 at 9:19 PM, Hopefully said:

Thanks! When I was a teen I bulked up for strength, later I started with calisthenics and lost all the bulk, and promised myself I wouldn't go there again because I hated it. Unfortunately I got really depressed and didn't give a shit so I went up like 25kg and stayed like that for a few years, didn't have the motivation to care. And this time I'll get myself very lean and I very much hope I never gain the weight again, it isn't worth it even for the strength gains, imo. I enjoy being light/lean.

Thanks again 👍🙂

Congrats on the weight loss! How much have you lost thus far and what's your goal? I'm also trying to lose weight, currently at 95 kg, lowest morning weight 94.3 kg. When I started I was around 105-106 kg and felt too heavy there, I'd like to be 90-92 kg max and stay there. Definitely lost strength in pretty much everything but I also prefer to feel relatively light nowadays.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1
Hopefully
1 hour ago, Anemptybox said:

Congrats on the weight loss! How much have you lost thus far and what's your goal? I'm also trying to lose weight, currently at 95 kg, lowest morning weight 94.3 kg. When I started I was around 105-106 kg and felt too heavy there, I'd like to be 90-92 kg max and stay there. Definitely lost strength in pretty much everything but I also prefer to feel relatively light nowadays.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I was at ~101kg first, then I lost 4kg initially. But life happened and so didn't have have the strength to continue. This time I lost 13-14kg so I'm down to 83-84. I will continue to 78-80kg, or thereabouts, I would be super ripped at 75kg but such low bf% comes with significant compromises so I dunno. It'll take something big to make me quit this time. I'm entering my 30s this year so losing weight will just get harder from there so I want to be done with it.

Congratulations to you too! :) I have lost significant strength in everything also, besides grip, where I'm actually stronger currently. Maybe it's related to better health? How is your grip? 

Keep on peeling it off! The Challenge start when the weight is gone 😅

• Like 3
Hopefully

2" handle:

56kg 13x1, last 3 needed a little assistence for the rotation

2,4" handle:

57kg 10x1

The 2.4 gave me a little tension in my bicep tendon on the left arm. Can't remember what that means but I have of course vastly overexaggerated volume and frequency, and intensity so I suppose it isn't a good sign at least.

Edited by Hopefully
Anemptybox
On 2/22/2021 at 5:11 AM, Hopefully said:

Thanks! I was at ~101kg first, then I lost 4kg initially. But life happened and so didn't have have the strength to continue. This time I lost 13-14kg so I'm down to 83-84. I will continue to 78-80kg, or thereabouts, I would be super ripped at 75kg but such low bf% comes with significant compromises so I dunno. It'll take something big to make me quit this time. I'm entering my 30s this year so losing weight will just get harder from there so I want to be done with it.

Congratulations to you too! :) I have lost significant strength in everything also, besides grip, where I'm actually stronger currently. Maybe it's related to better health? How is your grip? 

That's awesome, and thanks! I'm not sure at what weight I'd be ripped at but I know I wouldn't be able to keep it long term, so I understand what you mean by significant compromises. Unless you're a bodybuilder, model or something like that I think it's better for most people to aim for a sustainable weight. Is it mostly diet that got you down to 83-84 kg or have you done some cardio as well? I used to run quite a lot back in 2011-2012 but my weight was only around 75 kg back then. It's a huge difference running when you're close or above 100 kg (and bad for the knees I guess) but I actually prefer it over other types of cardio. I try to run 2 km on the treadmill at a relatively good pace most of the time I'm at the gym. It's something at least. I'm in my early 30s now by the way so I think we have a very similar mind set at the moment.

Regarding strength, I think it's tough to say how much I've lost because of losing 10-12 kg since I've also been training less and been more busy overall. I think my grip is almost the same though, at least for grippers, just a tad weaker. Wrist curls is about the same too. I haven't done much pinch or thickbar but I think pinch especially is worse. I think my endurance is worse too on everything strength related, which is expected on a slight calorie deficit I suppose.

For comparison on big movements, I've done 140 kg bench a couple of occasions but now I could probably only do 125 kg (maybe a bit more). Dumbbell press I could do 55 kgs for 7 reps at my strongest and now I do the same with 47 kg or maybe 49 kg on a good day (yes, my gym has 47 and 49 kg dumbbells).

I haven't tried heavy deadlift or squats in a long time, I've had some back issues unfortunately, but I'm sure I'd be far off my best there, which were 220 kg and 165 kg respectively (squats suck). It's -20 kg or more on those probably. I'm weaker and have less endurance when it comes to everything else as well, biceps, shoulders, etc. Would be cool to lose some more weight and eventually get back to full strength but we'll see if that ever happens.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Anemptybox
mcalpine1986
On 2/22/2021 at 4:11 AM, Hopefully said:

Amazing weight loss. Keep it up. 

You said grip strength could be related to health, it is absolutely true.

Grip strength is one of the main overall factors in all cause morality. The higher your grip the less likely to die young based on many studies. 

High grip strength is one of the main factors of good heart health. Just google "grip heart health" interesting stuff.

Hopefully
4 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

That's awesome, and thanks! I'm not sure at what weight I'd be ripped at but I know I wouldn't be able to keep it long term, so I understand what you mean by significant compromises. Unless you're a bodybuilder, model or something like that I think it's better for most people to aim for a sustainable weight. Is it mostly diet that got you down to 83-84 kg or have you done some cardio as well? I used to run quite a lot back in 2011-2012 but my weight was only around 75 kg back then. It's a huge difference running when you're close or above 100 kg (and bad for the knees I guess) but I actually prefer it over other types of cardio. I try to run 2 km on the treadmill at a relatively good pace most of the time I'm at the gym. It's something at least. I'm in my early 30s now by the way so I think we have a very similar mind set at the moment.

Regarding strength, I think it's tough to say how much I've lost because of losing 10-12 kg since I've also been training less and been more busy overall. I think my grip is almost the same though, at least for grippers, just a tad weaker. Wrist curls is about the same too. I haven't done much pinch or thickbar but I think pinch especially is worse. I think my endurance is worse too on everything strength related, which is expected on a slight calorie deficit I suppose.

For comparison on big movements, I've done 140 kg bench a couple of occasions but now I could probably only do 125 kg (maybe a bit more). Dumbbell press I could do 55 kgs for 7 reps at my strongest and now I do the same with 47 kg or maybe 49 kg on a good day (yes, my gym has 47 and 49 kg dumbbells).

I haven't tried heavy deadlift or squats in a long time, I've had some back issues unfortunately, but I'm sure I'd be far off my best there, which were 220 kg and 165 kg respectively (squats suck). It's -20 kg or more on those probably. I'm weaker and have less endurance when it comes to everything else as well, biceps, shoulders, etc. Would be cool to lose some more weight and eventually get back to full strength but we'll see if that ever happens.

Keep up the great work!

It's just diet, or lack thereof I suppose. I do alternate day fasting, so currently I fast for 36h (1day+sleep) and then I eat the following day just as normal. So I don't count calories or anything and just eat what I want. Within some reason, of course. I train in my gym every eat day to keep as much musclemass as possible. So far I don't think I have lost any significant mass and I feel awesome for the most part. 

I love to run though and if I could choose I would have gone with a traditional slight calorie deficit and cardio, but I feel that the time simply isn't there. And also it's overall more work imo and my mind is busy enough as is 😆

Very good weights I think, you are strong. It would be difficult to get to the same level, but possible. But it's a small price to pay for what you get though imo. Far more important stuff in life than how much weight you can lift. Like timesplitters for example? 😁

• Like 1
Hopefully
4 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Amazing weight loss. Keep it up. 

You said grip strength could be related to health, it is absolutely true.

Grip strength is one of the main overall factors in all cause morality. The higher your grip the less likely to die young based on many studies. 

High grip strength is one of the main factors of good heart health. Just google "grip heart health" interesting stuff.

Yeah, I'm aware. It could be a little more nuanced than that I think but yes 👍 for example, a healthy person who works out and lift weights would probably have higher grip strength than someone who does not, but it could be from training/Lifestyle that the grip strength is higher and not better health per se. But maybe I'm wrong there and better health simply correlates with grip.

• Like 1
mcalpine1986
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah, I'm aware. It could be a little more nuanced than that I think but yes 👍 for example, a healthy person who works out and lift weights would probably have higher grip strength than someone who does not, but it could be from training/Lifestyle that the grip strength is higher and not better health per se. But maybe I'm wrong there and better health simply correlates with grip.

There is many factors too it tbh. I see where you are coming from though.

Have you ever seen the UK Biobank study on grip? It was done on over half a million people and it correlated many things with grip strength. 

Even just using grippers can lower blood pressure what is a silent killer, Although im sure studies are based on easy ones you can rep for many many reps. It still makes a good case for grip training being excellent for overall health.

Hopefully
6 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

There is many factors too it tbh. I see where you are coming from though.

Have you ever seen the UK Biobank study on grip? It was done on over half a million people and it correlated many things with grip strength. 

Even just using grippers can lower blood pressure what is a silent killer, Although im sure studies are based on easy ones you can rep for many many reps. It still makes a good case for grip training being excellent for overall health.

Don't know about that one specifically, maybe, have read a few which correlated grip strength with alot of things. Many things that weren't that obvious too. It's interesting! I do read alot of training related studies, not that I think it matters in the end but it's interesting.

My personal opinion is that most studies ultimately point in the direction of "nothing matters" when it comes to training. Many old training dogmas end up proving to be false, things that people thought were important isn't and so on. People always search for the best programs, templates for how many sets, rest between sets, which angle should your feet point in a benchpress for optimal chest development etc, basically every variable there is. It would seem these things in reality are kind of trivial. Kind of dissapointing in a way.

And yes 🙂

• Like 1