Hopefully

It seems it is a pain keeping track of your workouts without writing stuff down, so I'll start a new log for that reason.

Atm I'm doing a lot of pinch work with a knurled block I made.

And I also recently made a 2" handle with an offset bar. A Holle dumbbell essentially but a smaller diameter. I also use a threaded bar for the weights on this so I can lock them tight. So it behaves like a solid dumbbell along with a offset handle, it's very taxing and difficult to lift.

So I'll use that, the block, and another Holle dumbbell I have with 62.8mm diameter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopefully

• mcalpine1986

• Anemptybox

• Nuttgens

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems it is a pain keeping track of your workouts without writing stuff down, so I'll start a new log for that reason. Atm I'm doing a lot of pinch work with a knurled block I made. And I

2" handle: 61kg: 1x1 (just a few cm lifts) 59kg: 5x1  57kg: 2x1 ****** 2.4" handle: 40kg: 2x1 35kg:  20x1 or so, didn't count ****** I feel good and health

It's a great tool. Have had mine for awhile but haven't used it much due to gripper obsession. Now I'll really give it a go. No, me neither. I made that one for a few reasons. I'll probably never

Hopefully

2" Holle:

46kg 10 singles. 

Many singles with 36kg.

36kg farmers walk 2 sets each hand.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 3
Nuttgens
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

2" Holle:

46kg 10 singles. 

Many singles with 36kg.

36kg farmers walk 2 sets each hand.

Hey man, good to have you back.

• Thanks 1
Hopefully
7 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Hey man, good to have you back.

Wasn't the plan, but since they won't delete my account I can't refrain from logging in constantly (which was the reason I asked them) so I thought eh what hell 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Nuttgens
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Wasn't the plan, but since they won't delete my account I can't refrain from logging in constantly (which was the reason I asked them) so I thought eh what hell 😛

Any goals your training for right now?

Fist of Fury
2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Du är beroende Andreas. Det enda som kan hjälpa är terapi, tro mig jag vet hur det är :D

• Thanks 1
Hopefully
1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Any goals your training for right now?

I think 40kg with my pinch block.

60kg with 2" Holle dumbbell

And 45kg with 2,4" dumbbell

Something like that.

• Like 3
Hopefully
48 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Du är beroende Andreas. Det enda som kan hjälpa är terapi, tro mig jag vet hur det är :D

Japp du har rätt, grymt irriterande faktiskt >.>

• Like 1
Fist of Fury
47 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Japp du har rätt, grymt irriterande faktiskt >.>

Vänta tills du börjar böja stål (Jodå, det är bara en tidsfråga :) ). Då kommer den riktiga frustrationen fram :D:D :D 

Hopefully
2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Vänta tills du börjar böja stål (Jodå, det är bara en tidsfråga :) ). Då kommer den riktiga frustrationen fram :D:D :D 

Haha, åker vidare på generell greppträning ett tag tills suicidala känslorna börjar komma krypande gällande det också. Sen köra en mini cykel med grippers igen, för man kan ju faktiskt ha ökat sin potential litegrann, men slutligen upptäcka att så inte är fallet. Sen gå runt och grina en vecka och undra vad fan jag slösar min tid på egentligen, sen efter det, då kommer nog böjandet 🤔

Hoppas det dröjer något år eller två bara.

Hopefully

2" Block:

36kg: 5 singles

32kg: 5 singles

30kg: 12 singles with 4 sec "overcrush" hold

Could have overdone the volume, I don't know, have very limited experience training pinch. But it felt good. Fun. Tried 40kg but couldn't budge it, even though 36kg felt perfectly doable 🤔 pretty interesting.

Should have done a lot of other stuff, but it's time for Supernatural and candy in the living room. Really liking season 11 so far!

36kg video, I think, a little hard to see due to the awesome video quality. Weight of block and pin is 10kg:

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2
mcalpine1986
On 1/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Hopefully said:

It seems it is a pain keeping track of your workouts without writing stuff down, so I'll start a new log for that reason.

Atm I'm doing a lot of pinch work with a knurled block I made.

And I also recently made a 2" handle with an offset bar. A Holle dumbbell essentially but a smaller diameter. I also use a threaded bar for the weights on this so I can lock them tight. So it behaves like a solid dumbbell along with a offset handle, it's very taxing and difficult to lift.

So I'll use that, the block, and another Holle dumbbell I have with 62.8mm diameter.

Hey man..

Nice to see others using a holle it up. Although ive not heard of anyone using 50mm it will still be taxing to the thumb on the hardest "setting"

Mine is also made with a spinlock bar so i can get the plates on drum tight. Most of my plates are large diameter for the weight so the rotation is crazy. 

I look forward to following your progress.

Hopefully
2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Hey man..

Nice to see others using a holle it up. Although ive not heard of anyone using 50mm it will still be taxing to the thumb on the hardest "setting"

Mine is also made with a spinlock bar so i can get the plates on drum tight. Most of my plates are large diameter for the weight so the rotation is crazy. 

I look forward to following your progress.

It's a great tool. Have had mine for awhile but haven't used it much due to gripper obsession. Now I'll really give it a go.

No, me neither. I made that one for a few reasons. I'll probably never own an axle but I wanted something that would benefit it should I want to compete down the road. It's the same mechanics just even more difficult, so I think it will be a great tool for that. Also the carry over from axle to grippers should anecdotally be good.

And I would say that while the bigger diameter taxes the thumbs more, the smaller one taxes fingers and wrist considerably more, in my experience. They actually feel very different. So using both I feel that I can get the best of two worlds. Those along with my knurled block should be great tools for 'base work' so to speak. I don't enjoy training on a million different tools.

Same to you! 🙂

• Like 3
mcalpine1986
17 hours ago, Hopefully said:

It's a great tool. Have had mine for awhile but haven't used it much due to gripper obsession. Now I'll really give it a go.

No, me neither. I made that one for a few reasons. I'll probably never own an axle but I wanted something that would benefit it should I want to compete down the road. It's the same mechanics just even more difficult, so I think it will be a great tool for that. Also the carry over from axle to grippers should anecdotally be good.

And I would say that while the bigger diameter taxes the thumbs more, the smaller one taxes fingers and wrist considerably more, in my experience. They actually feel very different. So using both I feel that I can get the best of two worlds. Those along with my knurled block should be great tools for 'base work' so to speak. I don't enjoy training on a million different tools.

Same to you! 🙂

That makes sense. It will have excellent carryover to axle work. I made a 50mm wrist wrench for that purpose as i will get an axle one day. 

All your bases are covered and i like your minimalistic approach to training. Get as strong as you can on a few core lifts 👍 Im really narrowing down my grip exercises as well now i class my self at an intermediate level. Im past the beginner stage. 

How long have you been into grip training?

• Like 1
Hopefully
1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That makes sense. It will have excellent carryover to axle work. I made a 50mm wrist wrench for that purpose as i will get an axle one day. 

All your bases are covered and i like your minimalistic approach to training. Get as strong as you can on a few core lifts 👍 Im really narrowing down my grip exercises as well now i class my self at an intermediate level. Im past the beginner stage. 

How long have you been into grip training?

Yup that's the idea.

Trained grippers hard for 3 years. Other grip stuff, hard to say. I haven't really given it much attention. A few cycles with a loadable blob here and there, a little pinch work etc. But haven't cared for it much so to speak.

How about you?

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1
mcalpine1986
3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Yup that's the idea.

Trained grippers hard for 3 years. Other grip stuff, hard to say. I haven't really given it much attention. A few cycles with a loadable blob here and there, a little pinch work etc. But haven't cared for it much so to speak.

How about you?

The grippers will give you a good base for other lifts finger wise anyway. 

Ite been 15 months for me. I started nov 2019. When covid hit in march last year though i went 2 months with very little equipment so that set me back a bit. I love grip training. In it for life now haha.

Hopefully
5 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

The grippers will give you a good base for other lifts finger wise anyway. 

Ite been 15 months for me. I started nov 2019. When covid hit in march last year though i went 2 months with very little equipment so that set me back a bit. I love grip training. In it for life now haha.

Yeah, a little bit.

And okey 🙂 I like it some but I find it very hard to progress on anything. That aspect I think is a little frustrating for me.

• Like 1
Hopefully

2" db:

46kg 6x1

48kg 2x1

2.4" db:

35kg 3x3, 1x1

Wrist curls from "lifting position"

2.4" 20kg, 3x8

• Like 1
Hopefully

2" db:

48kg 6x1

40kg 6x1

2.4" db:

41kg 1x1

37kg 3x1

Expected to get 50kg on the 2" handle today but I bought 2 big wrenches so that I could really lock everything super tight, so it made it harder even though they were pretty tight before 🤔

• Like 1
mcalpine1986
24 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

2" db:

48kg 6x1

40kg 6x1

2.4" db:

41kg 1x1

37kg 3x1

Expected to get 50kg on the 2" handle today but I bought 2 big wrenches so that I could really lock everything super tight, so it made it harder even though they were pretty tight before 🤔

Looks a great session. You do very low volume, do you always just stick to single reps? 

Hopefully
24 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Looks a great session. You do very low volume, do you always just stick to single reps? 

Felt great!

Yes, well, I do all my lifts pretty strict so unless it is an absolute max effort I hold the weight a few seconds at lockout and then drop it down slowly. So in that regard I do a little bit more volume than it might seem.

Since it is isometric also I'm unsure if the concept of reps really matters that much, so I go with high intensity and moderate volume. I do all my lifts close to failure also so it should give a good stimulus.

But, yes, for a variety of reasons I stick to singles mainly. I have tried volume with different stuff but at least with grip I don't think I have really seen any benefit from it. I think this is different for everyone. 

• Like 1
Hopefully

2" pinch:

40kg: 2x1

38.5: 4x1

All Pr's I think. It's mainly because I have started caring about my wrist, since it is after all necessary for putting up as much weight as possible. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2
mcalpine1986
13 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

2" pinch:

40kg: 2x1

38.5: 4x1

All Pr's I think. It's mainly because I have started caring about my wrist, since it is after all necessary for putting up as much weight as possible. 

That is strong pinching. Do you ever train 2 handed?

• Thanks 1
Hopefully
1 minute ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That is strong pinching. Do you ever train 2 handed?

Thank you! 

No I have never done that actually, because.. well, I don't know. I just think 1 hand pinch is more interesting I guess XD Do you recommend it?

• Like 1
mcalpine1986
2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Thank you! 

No I have never done that actually, because.. well, I don't know. I just think 1 hand pinch is more interesting I guess XD Do you recommend it?

I totally recommend it. 2 hands will increase your 1 hand without training it, its a much faster way of progressing than only training 1 hand at a time. You will be very strong at already

You should be good for about 90kg on 2" if you can do 40kg 1 handed id say. For example say you can lift 90kg and increase that to 100kg which will come quite fast if you focus on it. Your 1 hand pinch will increase without a doubt.

When pinch focused ill focus on 2 3/8 or 60mm 2 hand pinch. I like that width the best.

Edited by mcalpine1986