Drill rod

BottledCitrus

Not essential, but you can use it for a good progression towards the red, due to the same diameter and length but with lots of different strength levels.

It's also used beyond the red. Same as the way to it, lots of strength levels available.

Sad thing about it: it's an USA only thing! We don't have access to it here in europe.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Not essential, but you can use it for a good progression towards the red, due to the same diameter and length but with lots of different strength levels.

It's also used beyond the red. Same as the way to it, lots of strength levels available.

Sad thing about it: it's an USA only thing! We don't have access to it here in europe.

So how do you guys get along with out it? 

We have CRS 7mm as a good step towards the red nail and have to bend more volume with the lighter bars. Not the best things but it works.

6 hours ago, Horrido said:

We have CRS 7mm as a good step towards the red nail and have to bend more volume with the lighter bars. Not the best things but it works.

Drill rod aint cheap to ship. Atleast in my research. And not all places have all sizes. The jumps look to be big as well. Only one places has a really good selection of sizes that one could use for progression in a easy way that is. 

I’m not sure how one would train with it without spending a small fortune getting enough of the different sizes. Seems like it makes sense to buy a bunch of bolts chop them up or something. 

You can use different wrapping for progression as well. That's how I did. Started double wrapping instead, then after I got stronger at that I was able to bend a red in singles. First I couldn't even bend it in doubles. Of course you don't need to single or double wrap, you can do everything in between that if you want as well just by cutting up your own pads in different sizes.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Steel Bending never was, is, or will be a cheap addiction.

Take best solution for your goal.

Fair. But...

200 bolts for 60 usd, or what amounts to 15 pieces of drill for the same price. What would you choose? 

24 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

You can use different wrapping for progression as well. That's how I did. Started double wrapping instead, then after I got stronger at that I was able to bend a red in singles. First I couldn't even bend it in doubles. Of course you don't need to single or double wrap, you can do everything in between that if you want as well just by cutting up your own pads in different sizes.

This is interesting. Smaller/larger the wrappings the harder it is to bend? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

This is interesting. Smaller/larger the wrappings the harder it is to bend? 

Yes extra wrapping gives you better leverage and better protection. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

Fair. But...

200 bolts for 60 usd, or what amounts to 15 pieces of drill for the same price. What would you choose? 

Yeah on the first sight of course the 200 bolts. BUT if the 15 pieces would help me better to reach my goal, then...

But I also didnt know that the drill rods are so expensive. Maybe a expirienced bender from the US can name you a good source for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horrido said:

Yeah on the first sight of course the 200 bolts. BUT if the 15 pieces would help me better to reach my goal, then...

But I also didnt know that the drill rods are so expensive. Maybe a expirienced bender from the US can name you a good source for them.

Ive looked into sourcing them local and it’s definitely cheaper. But atleast in my case lack the variety. The jumps seem big. Ie from 1/4 to 9/32 to 5/16 haha. 

By 15 pieces I mean 5 pieces for one size and so on because they come in 36 inch lengths, pretty sure that wouldn’t last long. Seen guys do that as a warmup/workout

Edited by BottledCitrus

2 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

Fair. But...

You can get drill rod way cheaper than that. Check at mcmaster.

Ive never bent drill rods, only crs, hrs, bolts and nails. I bent my first red in IMPs not too long ago.

Best bang for your buck will be 7mm nails and 8mm rebar. The steel is cheap and from my experience, the 7mm feels like grade 5 bolts and 8mm rebar like grade 8 bolts. Both of which are great stepping stones to work up to a red nail. 

And like @Fist of Fury said. You can progress with Big to Small wraps with Bigger giving you more leverage and protection. If the goal is the red nail cert then you will also need to toughen your hands and get used to using IMPs so you need to do a bit of volume with the pads.

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Ive never bent drill rods, only crs, hrs, bolts and nails. I bent my first red in IMPs not too long ago.

Best bang for your buck will be 7mm nails and 8mm rebar. The steel is cheap and from my experience, the 7mm feels like grade 5 bolts and 8mm rebar like grade 8 bolts. Both of which are great stepping stones to work up to a red nail. 

And like @Fist of Fury said. You can progress with Big to Small wraps with Bigger giving you more leverage and protection. If the goal is the red nail cert then you will also need to toughen your hands and get used to using IMPs so you need to do a bit of volume with the pads.

Nails as in actual nails? 

11 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

Nails as in actual nails? 

Yes, like how in the US a great training nail is the 60d here in EU especially in Sweden we have 7mm nails which are the perfect training nail. Its cheap to buy and great for bending.

• Thanks 1

So for training with drill.

Do guys treat it like bolts and crs? Meaning do they buy a ton and bulk it. Or is more like. Get a few pieces and may do a few a session? 

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

Drill rod is the best progression...

Yes. I understand that now. What Im asking is how to train with it given you cant buy it like you can other materials. 

5 minutes ago, BottledCitrus said:

Yes. I understand that now. What Im asking is how to train with it given you cant buy it like you can other materials. 

Did you check at mcmaster as I recommended? It's not more expensive than bolts my friend. You can get enough drill rod there for 60 bucks to train yourself to the red nail with no problem. You get 30 ft for 60-80$. That's a good deal. 

If I had that opportunity I wouldn't bother with anything else.

• Like 1

If you are near a Tractor Supply stores have it as well. It's fairly cheap for convince factor. Just buy it in 3' bars and cut it down to the length you want it to be. Also, like Fist of Fury said, McMaster is a great resource. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Did you check at mcmaster as I recommended? It's not more expensive than bolts my friend. You can get enough drill rod there for 60 bucks to train yourself to the red nail with no problem. You get 30 ft for 60-80$. That's a good deal. 

If I had that opportunity I wouldn't bother with anything else.

I absolutely did. only question mark is tge shipping. They dont make that obvious. With Diesupplies its 26 bucks is that common with shipping steel?