About maintenance of grip tools...

pancho_grip_lift

Hello friends from the board!

I was wondering what do you think about cleaning and polishing your grip tools, does anyone do that? or do you just let your tools take the chalk and be more seasoned over time? I've heard  some people against the seasoning of tools, and others in favour of maximize it. 

Thank you all in advance :rock

• Like 1

Very good question. I only have weights, bars, grippers and bands and for me cleaning and lubrication maybe not go as far as a full on polish.  Gives me something to do on rest days.

Worked with hand tools all my life and would never consider after a job putting them back dirty so could just be a carry over. The seasoning could help "maybe" but could mask real progress even going as far as allowing poor form.

Interesting to see what others think on this.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Busa said:

Very good question. I only have weights, bars, grippers and bands and for me cleaning and lubrication maybe not go as far as a full on polish.  Gives me something to do on rest days.

Worked with hand tools all my life and would never consider after a job putting them back dirty so could just be a carry over. The seasoning could help "maybe" but could mask real progress even going as far as allowing poor form.

Interesting to see what others think on this.

Exactly, I'd like to know what do the advanced guys do about this, becouse grip tools may wear down maybe? and also seasoning will allow you to lift more, but one may get a surprise in a contest for example, if they use brand new equipment. Or the exact opposite if they use very seasoned grip tools... 

I lubricate gripper springs and other moving objects regularly. For gripping surfaces I don't always let a good seasoned texture build up, my logic is that I want it to be hard to hold in order to get stronger, then when I go to a competition the devices almost always feel easier and I hit a good PR. Your goals may vary, if trying to lift some specific item for the first time then you would want as good a texture as possible. 

• Thanks 1

Cleaning off pinch blocks now and then is good, you don't want too much chalk on them. Cleaning and lubricating grippers springs of course.

If you have a IM Rolling Thunder a good thing you can do is to drill a small hole in the plastic on each side and spray some lubricant down there. Then seal it with electrical tape. Then you have two holes you can maintain there. Makes it spin much faster. I went from 90 kg to 78 kg only by doing that.

• Thanks 1