BJJ/MMA/Judo practicioners?

jvance

Good morning from Texas. I haven't posted in a while. I was wondering how many grip guys also train submission grappling and to get opinions on things such as a grappling specific grip routine that minimizes time. Also include whether you train with the gi or no gi. 

I recently hit a triangle submission on a very experienced grappler using a technique that is typically done with a gi sleeve grip. I pulled it off no gi and I'm thinking my prior grip training helped me maintain wrist control with a spinning inverted movement. 

Anyone else have a similar experience in grappling you can attribute to grip strength? I don't have a video of my submission but I'll link an instructional so you can see what I'm talking about. 

So pay attention to when he switched hands to cross grip both arms. You have to maintain that control before you roll to invert.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 9:04 AM, jvance said:

Good morning from Texas. I haven't posted in a while. I was wondering how many grip guys also train submission grappling and to get opinions on things such as a grappling specific grip routine that minimizes time. Also include whether you train with the gi or no gi. 

I recently hit a triangle submission on a very experienced grappler using a technique that is typically done with a gi sleeve grip. I pulled it off no gi and I'm thinking my prior grip training helped me maintain wrist control with a spinning inverted movement. 

Anyone else have a similar experience in grappling you can attribute to grip strength? I don't have a video of my submission but I'll link an instructional so you can see what I'm talking about. 

That kinda monkey biz will only work on scrubs and new guys - you don’t want to get in to a mindset of grip limited submissions - for every submission you want maximum leverage & power transfer from your spine to one tiny end of motion on their joint. Against a skilled player my grip strength can delay the opponent but I still lose the same as a weak handed guy - remember bjj is where weaker people crush stronger people it’s not about strength it’s leverage. 👍👍 where you roll at? 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, AdamTGlass said:

That kinda monkey biz will only work on scrubs and new guys - you don’t want to get in to a mindset of grip limited submissions - for every submission you want maximum leverage & power transfer from your spine to one tiny end of motion on their joint. Against a skilled player my grip strength can delay the opponent but I still lose the same as a weak handed guy - remember bjj is where weaker people crush stronger people it’s not about strength it’s leverage. 👍👍 where you roll at? 

Yes not exactly high percentage. It wasn't really planned, he went to fold pass my Z guard and put his hand through I cross gripped and inverted more as a last ditch attempt to prevent the pass. I was more surprised I caught it than he was. Not sure how I held on to that slippery grip though the roll but I'm sure years of axle DLing helped.

I train at RDA Fitness and MMA in San Antonio under Brown belt Ernesto Gutierrez. The school lineage runs up to Chris Brennan who is in the Friscoe area.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I never grappled but when I boxed I learned about towel pull ups which are really challenging and completely smoke your hands and good for any combat sport

Recently started competing in grip a couple months ago but have been training it specifically for about a year. I have been fighting/grappling since 2009. Most recently did a submission only tournament (did both divisions gi/no gi) April 2021. 
In my opinion there’s no substitute for the actual thing that you’re doing. Kinda like when someone asks what’s the best tool to train to lift the Inch… the answer is the Inch. Yes there will always be some exercises that carry over and other training that will supplement your sport. But the rounds of rolling, sparring, clinching can’t be and shouldn’t be replaced by anything else. I think the fighting/grappling for 12 years has helped me a ton for grip training and I think my current grip training in some capacity still carries over to the fight side. With that being said I don’t really try to mix them in anyway. And being stronger/faster will always be a benefit in combat sports assuming the person has the experience/skill.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 1:05 PM, ZRMMA said:

Recently started competing in grip a couple months ago but have been training it specifically for about a year. I have been fighting/grappling since 2009. Most recently did a submission only tournament (did both divisions gi/no gi) April 2021. 
In my opinion there’s no substitute for the actual thing that you’re doing. Kinda like when someone asks what’s the best tool to train to lift the Inch… the answer is the Inch. Yes there will always be some exercises that carry over and other training that will supplement your sport. But the rounds of rolling, sparring, clinching can’t be and shouldn’t be replaced by anything else. I think the fighting/grappling for 12 years has helped me a ton for grip training and I think my current grip training in some capacity still carries over to the fight side. With that being said I don’t really try to mix them in anyway. And being stronger/faster will always be a benefit in combat sports assuming the person has the experience/skill.

I watched your fights via your youtube channel. Very impressive dude! You're quite a gripster also! Random question though, how come you "only" did 195lbs on the grip genie hilt at the competition but you can do over 190lbs on the little big horn? Please excuse my ignorance as I own neither implement but wouldn't the grip genie hilt be a decent amount easier than a little big horn? Maybe others can chime in as well. 

Just now, Bigfoot Grip said:

I watched your fights via your youtube channel. Very impressive dude! You're quite a gripster also! Random question though, how come you "only" did 195lbs on the grip genie hilt at the competition but you can do over 190lbs on the little big horn? Please excuse my ignorance as I own neither implement but wouldn't the grip genie hilt be a decent amount easier than a little big horn? Maybe others can chime in as well. 

I’ve pulled 230’s on the Hilt and it’s definitely easier than LBH. For the Armlifting USA competition the lockout was pretty strict. Often times with those lifts people will twist or “lock in” the implement with the caribiner and when the weight breaks the floor it will spin. For that competition you couldn’t get the down call if the weights were still spinning. So if it was just a lift to height I would have done more but with no spin and getting a down call …. It was a little tougher. Hopefully that makes sense

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZRMMA said:

I’ve pulled 230’s on the Hilt and it’s definitely easier than LBH. For the Armlifting USA competition the lockout was pretty strict. Often times with those lifts people will twist or “lock in” the implement with the caribiner and when the weight breaks the floor it will spin. For that competition you couldn’t get the down call if the weights were still spinning. So if it was just a lift to height I would have done more but with no spin and getting a down call …. It was a little tougher. Hopefully that makes sense

Thanks bro makes perfect sense and duh haha can't believe I forgot about the no spin rule. I remember hearing that on the gripboard and being confused as to why they would just get the athlete to lift the weight to a crossbar. You're a beast dude, good luck at the next gripgenie meet in december(assuming you compete). 

4 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks bro makes perfect sense and duh haha can't believe I forgot about the no spin rule. I remember hearing that on the gripboard and being confused as to why they would just get the athlete to lift the weight to a crossbar. You're a beast dude, good luck at the next gripgenie meet in december(assuming you compete). 

Thanks and yeah I’ll be doing Stage 2 as well. Stage 1 had some very strong lifters here and a good turnout (North Carolina.)You have any venues or other competitions coming up near you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZRMMA said:

Thanks and yeah I’ll be doing Stage 2 as well. Stage 1 had some very strong lifters here and a good turnout (North Carolina.)You have any venues or other competitions coming up near you?

Good to hear bro, plus you have a long time to prep for your next meet. Unfortunately due to the restrictions I doubt their will be anything in my neck of woods. I want to do the olympia in orlando for armlifting but even the flights are a nightmare from canada lol. I really hope America opens up the border soon I'm going out of my mind haha. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Started doing gi isobholds & seems to be helping nicely. Able to get that little extra bit of time time to escape my hips & such.