Stronger DO Kink in doubles by training only with singles?

Slippery Pete

I want to get a stronger kink in doubles. I have done most of my bending in doubles, and gotten stronger with IMPs and one IMP bending by doing so. (not saying its the way to go or anything, just how I liked to work my bending)
At this point I can only get a tiny kink in 9mm CRS and 8mm CRS Hex, but I can crush it down if I kink it braced.

What I wonder is if you guys have felt that your kink with doubles have gotten alot better by training with minimal padding only for lets say a couple of months.

Curious to hear about your experiences.

Thanks

For me it was the other way around. Starting to train with doubles made me stronger in singles.

But I suck at bending...

For reverse bending it has worked as you say, less wrapping (and leverage) made me stronger. 

I think both ways work, probably. When you get stuck it's never a bad idea to try something different.

• Like 1

From my own experience (which isnt much) getting better at minimal wrap bending didn't add much to my big pad bending. To get better with big pads I had to solely bend with big pads. The torque you produce with your hands, wrists and elbows is significantly different with big vs small pads.

Big pads being able to handle a significant amount of chest involvement allowing for bigger steel to be kinked. But when it came down to the crush the single pads actually felt much easier to crush down rather than doubles. 

I have also found that the best method of progressive overload comes down to wrap size. As in start with doubles and once it gets easy switch to single leather, then IMPs. After you can bend it with minimal padding shorten the length and try again with doubles. Rinse and repeat.

It may be slow but by far my favourite way to train bending.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

For me it was the other way around. Starting to train with doubles made me stronger in singles.

But I suck at bending...

For reverse bending it has worked as you say, less wrapping (and leverage) made me stronger. 

I think both ways work, probably. When you get stuck it's never a bad idea to try something different.

That is how I have done as well. Did very little single pad bends before, but I like it better now. Gained my strength with singles by bending in doubles.

That is very true. I think I have a bunch of bars that is nothing special for me in doubles right now but would be sweet to be able to bend in single cordura.

26 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

From my own experience (which isnt much) getting better at minimal wrap bending didn't add much to my big pad bending. To get better with big pads I had to solely bend with big pads. The torque you produce with your hands, wrists and elbows is significantly different with big vs small pads.

Big pads being able to handle a significant amount of chest involvement allowing for bigger steel to be kinked. But when it came down to the crush the single pads actually felt much easier to crush down rather than doubles. 

I have also found that the best method of progressive overload comes down to wrap size. As in start with doubles and once it gets easy switch to single leather, then IMPs. After you can bend it with minimal padding shorten the length and try again with doubles. Rinse and repeat.

It may be slow but by far my favourite way to train bending.

I agree with most of this.
But for me it feels kind of the same to bend in single pads and doubles, only that its harder. Its the chest and shoulders for me that gets most work in both cases.

Cuting bars shorter has not improved my kink, or very little at best. Its great for crush strength however.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

That is how I have done as well. Did very little single pad bends before, but I like it better now. Gained my strength with singles by bending in doubles.

That is very true. I think I have a bunch of bars that is nothing special for me in doubles right now but would be sweet to be able to bend in single cordura.

I agree with most of this.
But for me it feels kind of the same to bend in single pads and doubles, only that its harder. Its the chest and shoulders for me that gets most work in both cases.

Cuting bars shorter has not improved my kink, or very little at best. Its great for crush strength however.

Yes shorter bars will not improve kink strength, it's mostly about flexibility. I tried some 8 mm x 250 mm HRS steel today, could only kink it a little bit. 180 mm was easy.

Good question Pete... just my .02.  

I feel Dbl wraps are better for developing high end, overall bending strength while singles developed hand toughness/ pain tolerance more.  

Totally depends on your goals..  thicker wraps will change your angles significantly during the kink & requires more flexibility imo!  

So in my experience dbl. wraps didn’t help my kink but developed the upper back shoulders & overall wrist strength for bigger bars.  

Good luck brother! 👊🏼💯
Rob  

• Like 1