Which gripper would you recomend to someone who hasn't tried them before?

pancho_grip_lift

Hello friends!

I was talking to a guy from my country who does powerlifting, and it's interested in getting into grippers. He claims to have big hands, and to be strong. He asked me which gripper should he get, and of course he said "I want to go right after the #3"

Furthermore, I have several acquaintances who came from different sport backgrounds, and is not that easy to say "if you lift whatever amount on this lift you would close this gripper" or "if your hand is Under/Over 8 inch long you could close this other gripper"

In addition, technique is a key factor to set grippers, so there may be guys strong enough to close big grippers, but their poor setting technique will stop them for closing big grippers. 

So, finally, which would be your advice for people who hasn't touched a gripper before, taking into consideration that you could know their hand size and their powerlifting PR's?

Honestly, there is no way of knowing. Is he close enough to meet up with you cause the best way is for him to try 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the guy is unable to try before they buy how about a CoC trainer or Heavy Grips 150. somewhere around a  RGC of 50 / 65. If easy go up three or four levels if hard maybe one or two. It can always be used as a warm up gripper plus would help with getting good form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:32 AM, Chez said:

Honestly, there is no way of knowing. Is he close enough to meet up with you cause the best way is for him to try 

We live in different cities. Hard to meet him due to covid right now. It would be interesting to test the guy. He claims to be really strong, so grippers would be a humbling experience 

On 12/28/2020 at 6:15 AM, Busa said:

If the guy is unable to try before they buy how about a CoC trainer or Heavy Grips 150. somewhere around a  RGC of 50 / 65. If easy go up three or four levels if hard maybe one or two. It can always be used as a warm up gripper plus would help with getting good form.

Sounds like a good plan. Try an easy gripper and then buy more, according to how it feels for him 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, Fist of Fury said:

T, #1, #2, #2.5, #3.

It's a good option too, but sounds expensive hahah bringing grippers to Chile is no Joke! 

6 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

We live in different cities. Hard to meet him due to covid right now. It would be interesting to test the guy. He claims to be really strong, so grippers would be a humbling experience 

Sounds like a good plan. Try an easy gripper and then buy more, according to how it feels for him 

It's a good option too, but sounds expensive hahah bringing grippers to Chile is no Joke! 

If you put it in perspective, grip training is a cheap hobby. People buy cars and motorcycles, musical instruments and a lot of other stuff. Which all are way more expensive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you put it in perspective, grip training is a cheap hobby. People buy cars and motorcycles, musical instruments and a lot of other stuff. Which all are way more expensive.

Sure, I think the same way as you do. I see them as a good investment.

The bad thing these days is to import goods in my country. The national postal service is slower than usual, and charging with huge fees, so people could get discouraged to buy grippers.

CPW have a couple of low end used CoC grips which are rated which would help as you are then not wondering if it was an easy or hard gripper.

As for charges I thought getting stuff from USA was expensive but bought something from Turkey they sent via FedEx to the UK ended up paying an extra 60% on top for handling & tax.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Maybe you can ship him a couple for him to test with him obviously paying shipping. Would be a lot more cost effective 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Busa said:

CPW have a couple of low end used CoC grips which are rated which would help as you are then not wondering if it was an easy or hard gripper.

As for charges I thought getting stuff from USA was expensive but bought something from Turkey they sent via FedEx to the UK ended up paying an extra 60% on top for handling & tax.

Yes, getting stuff from overseas could be really expensive these days. Sometimes it's better to produce some items locally. I did that with my rolling handle, blocks, loading pins and Dinnie Rings. And Rated grippers are a great option. I advised the guy to invest in cannon becouse you know exactly what are you closing.

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

Maybe you can ship him a couple for him to test with him obviously paying shipping. Would be a lot more cost effective 

I am thinking about selling one of my non rated grippers to the guy, and with that money, get new rated grippers. People is getting more interested in gripsport with all this homegym movement.

4 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Sure, I think the same way as you do. I see them as a good investment.

The bad thing these days is to import goods in my country. The national postal service is slower than usual, and charging with huge fees, so people could get discouraged to buy grippers.

Ye I know, same thing here, the king wants his appanage. Just getting a single rated gripper from the states cost around 60$.

Having many gripper is by far the best way to train, or to have one adjustable gripper.

• Like 1

My parents got me a CoC gripper in my stocking for Christmas back in 2009 (long before I ever knew about grip). My parents figured, well Tanner has strong hands and is a high level rock climber, lets get him the hardest one. Needless to say I never closed that first gripper....a #4 haha

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

My parents got me a CoC gripper in my stocking for Christmas back in 2009 (long before I ever knew about grip). My parents figured, well Tanner has strong hands and is a high level rock climber, lets get him the hardest one. Needless to say I never closed that first gripper....a #4 haha

What a great christmas gift! 

The guy that was asking me wanted to go for the #3 right over. I know some dudes can close it at the first try, but that's not the reality for most of us hahah. Looks like the best option is to have a couple of grippers, even if you are not planning to get into gripsport.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:06 AM, pancho_grip_lift said:

Hello friends!

I was talking to a guy from my country who does powerlifting, and it's interested in getting into grippers. He claims to have big hands, and to be strong. He asked me which gripper should he get, and of course he said "I want to go right after the #3"

Furthermore, I have several acquaintances who came from different sport backgrounds, and is not that easy to say "if you lift whatever amount on this lift you would close this gripper" or "if your hand is Under/Over 8 inch long you could close this other gripper"

In addition, technique is a key factor to set grippers, so there may be guys strong enough to close big grippers, but their poor setting technique will stop them for closing big grippers. 

So, finally, which would be your advice for people who hasn't touched a gripper before, taking into consideration that you could know their hand size and their powerlifting PR's?

Practice and technique is the key, hard work beats talent or genetics. If someone is amateur should start with lighter resistance grippers first such as CoC T, 0.5, 1 or Heavy Grip 100,150 or GHP 1,2,3 or Armlifting Greece 100, 150 etc.

As he notices serious results and progress he should move to harder resistance grippers. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Emmanouil Marizas said:

Practice and technique is the key, hard work beats talent or genetics. If someone is amateur should start with lighter resistance grippers first such as CoC T, 0.5, 1 or Heavy Grip 100,150 or GHP 1,2,3 or Armlifting Greece 100, 150 etc.

As he notices serious results and progress he should move to harder resistance grippers. 

Yes, that's the way to go. Start with grippers that you certainly could close, and then move up to harder ones.

Anyway, your grippers are looking amazing! I loved the colours and the setting blocks! I'd love to have some of them in the future, and to rate them to know where do they stand (in case you haven't done it yet)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Yes, that's the way to go. Start with grippers that you certainly could close, and then move up to harder ones.

Anyway, your grippers are looking amazing! I loved the colours and the setting blocks! I'd love to have some of them in the future, and to rate them to know where do they stand (in case you haven't done it yet)

Thank you very much! Unfortunately i don't have yet an rgc machine but i could say Apollon 300lbs stands between heavy CoC 2,5 and CoC3 and Yperion 350lbs is a beast heavier than a CoC3,5! Whenever you want you can contact me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Emmanouil Marizas said:

Thank you very much! Unfortunately i don't have yet an rgc machine but i could say Apollon 300lbs stands between heavy CoC 2,5 and CoC3 and Yperion 350lbs is a beast heavier than a CoC3,5! Whenever you want you can contact me.

I will, Apollon sounds like something I could close in the next months!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

I will, Apollon sounds like something I could close in the next months!

Yes! I am sure you will do it sooner 💪

• Thanks 1