20kg strict plate curl

David_wigren

9 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I’d have to see that to believe it. Back against a wall doesn’t necessarily make it strict. I’ve seen several videos of people plate curling with their back against the wall and it looked absolutely horrible even though their back was against the wall the whole time. Standing up straight or leaning forward doesn’t matter. It’s not a feat of biceps strength. It’s a wrist feat so the prime objective is to see how much the wrist can withstand without bending back. As soon as the wrist is compromised it’s a failed lift, regardless if your back was against a wall or not. In fact, I like to start with the weight just a bit forward, by doing so it becomes almost impossible to swing. For it to be truly strict, you should almost be able to stop at any point during the curl and hold it there for a second or two. You might not be able to continue the curl after stopping, but you should at least be able to stop and hold it. I have absolutely no problem holding the plate parallel  to the ground for many seconds while maintaining a completely straight wrist. People who accelerate through the sticking point can’t do this quite as well. And that’s because they’re not actually strong enough to withstand the torque on the wrist.

an aged Brzenk who’s not trained for years and have pulled 30 people before might not toproll Adam. Prime Brzenk who is contest-ready would go through Adam’s wrist as if it was made of butter.

I’ve felt some of the Chernobyl pullers. They’re alot stronger than people think. And people already think they’re strong. And Brzenk went through the biggest and baddest of them at one time or another and did so primarily due to his superior hand and wrist strength. 

You make some fair points and i agree with you with a lot of what you are saying but i shall politely bow out out this thread as i dont want to derail it and turn it into a definition of a plate curl thread.

Amazing world class wrist strength David, i cant wait to see what you can do it a year or two. Salute.

10 hours ago, David_wigren said:

an aged Brzenk who’s not trained for years and have pulled 30 people before might not toproll Adam. Prime Brzenk who is contest-ready would go through Adam’s wrist as if it was made of butter.

I’ve felt some of the Chernobyl pullers. They’re alot stronger than people think. And people already think they’re strong. And Brzenk went through the biggest and baddest of them at one time or another and did so primarily due to his superior hand and wrist strength. 

I admire Johns (prime John) formidably as well.

however, I sense that I’m not quite relaying how well Adams wrist strength, namely his left, stands out on the arm wrestling table.

and I’m gonna go ahead and say something that monster himself would be pissed at... I’ve pulled both Adam AND MMT in the last 18 months. (Pulled MMT at a tournament he was reffing, after tournament was over) Adams wrist gave way LESS than MMT’s wrist! While MMT did indeed run me over regardless of what I did, I was still able to control his hand briefly before his flop wrist press practically almost tore my labrum. 

...if that helps further illustrate how excellent Adams wrist and hand strength is on the table. And what’s so mesmerizing about it is Adam is still a pup on the arm wrestling scene, and weighs equally less than me than I do MMT.

should he choose to pursue arm wrestling 100%, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be known world wide on the arm wrestling scene. In short order.

btw, when are you finally gonna come to the USA and kick it with us fish??! 😎

• Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, David_wigren said:

Haha yes partly. The main reason is that all organized armwrestling is now banned by the swedish armwrestling federation I can no longer pull and I needed something else. At first I started doing heavy wrist curls but when I saw everyone doing plate curls I decided to join on the band wagon.

Adam’s the man to beat when it comes to plate curls. Whenever I hear or see someone comment on my videos about how I’m the best, I always redirect them to Adam.

However I would not equal Adam’s wrist strength to someone like John Brzenk. Sure Adam’s the man when it comes to our sport. He’s no 1 in plate curls. Probably top 3 ever at strict DU and reverse bending. Top 3 at sledge levers, maybe even top 1. People nowadays don’t know that Adam used to lever insane weight using form that is stricter than what most do today. I know Adam used some sort of loadable hammer from Ryan Pitts, which included the weight of the handle. If I’m not mistaken I remember Adam levering in the high 20’s maybe even low 30’s with that handle, which IMO is close to the best ever in that movement. I could list many more examples of why Adam is the man in our sport. However when it comes to pronation, supination and probably also wrist flexion, Brzenk is most likely ahead of Adam by such a margin that I would still put Brzenk’s wrists as overall stronger than Adam’s.

I also wouldn’t put myself 3rd. I’d put Marco Buhl ahead of me aswell. Nathan’s difficult to place since his form is different. But I think I’d put him ahead of both myself and Marco if I had to decide. But still behind Adam.

On the topic of Nathan. Nathan’s a beast. But the only video I’ve seen is him doing a few reps with a 20kg plate that is NOT full size. Not unless he’s like 2.2m tall. His wrist is kinked back, the plate is angled so it’s a semi hammer curl and there is slight acceleration from the first half of the curl which helps him to get through the sticking point. If you look at my video, the wrist is completely straight and the movement is smooth from the start and slows down in the middle due to the increased difficulty. I want to take a moment to explain that I’m not accusing him of “cheating”. I think he’s just doing the plate curls with his style because that’s how he likes doing them. He’s probably not trying to adhere to the standard we’re following. I do think that if he actually tried to do them with accordance to what we would consider strict he would probably do a few reps with a plate similar to what I used. At least if he got a few sessions to get used to the movement. However I don’t think he’d be able to do a single rep with a full sized 20 kg plate. From the videos I’ve seen I’d be VERY surprised if he could! I say that because I could do cheat reps with a 20 kg plate many years ago, when my max on that same 15kg plate was 7-8 reps. Now my max with the same 15kg plate is 18 reps (probably more than 20 reps if I tried it fresh) and I’m only just now starting to get a smaller 20kg plate with strict form. Execution is everything! And the most important part is to keep the wrist straight and to not accelerate at the bottom. A big harsh maybe. But like I said, I think he’s just doing them his way because that’s how he’s always done them. 
It’s like comparing a MMS close and a TNS close. You’re still closing the gripper, but TNS is obviously alot harder.

Haha knew it. It caused such motivation to people over the world. I think I need to do them now too!

As for Adam, I am with you. Hence me saying Adam has the best plate curls on video ever. For sledge levers I will give it to Joseph Sullivan easily. In AW there are many people there with super strong wrists. We never know. But for sure we can know that Adam has one STRONG wrists and the best plate curls as of now.

21 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I had not taken pronate/supinate into consideration when comparing Adams wrists to guys like Brzenk. Although based off the shock factor Adams hands and wrists are bringing to the table on the arm wrestling scene as of late, I wouldn’t feel out of line to bet that even Brzenk likely couldn’t toproll Adam. Adams Hand and wrist, namely on his left, are flat out immovable. Brzenk would be left with no choice but to hook or press Adam.

not suggesting that Adam would dominate Brzenk on the table. But am suggesting that even Brzenk would say “holy shit!” If he tried to toproll Adam. Lol!

I am sure he well seeing how Adam TOYS with the inch thumbless. He will have what Michael Todd and Larratt had on Khaled. But I will give the win to Brzenk, as you already mentioned.

18 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I’d have to see that to believe it. Back against a wall doesn’t necessarily make it strict. I’ve seen several videos of people plate curling with their back against the wall and it looked absolutely horrible even though their back was against the wall the whole time. Standing up straight or leaning forward doesn’t matter. It’s not a feat of biceps strength. It’s a wrist feat so the prime objective is to see how much the wrist can withstand without bending back. As soon as the wrist is compromised it’s a failed lift, regardless if your back was against a wall or not. In fact, I like to start with the weight just a bit forward, by doing so it becomes almost impossible to swing. For it to be truly strict, you should almost be able to stop at any point during the curl and hold it there for a second or two. You might not be able to continue the curl after stopping, but you should at least be able to stop and hold it. I have absolutely no problem holding the plate parallel  to the ground for many seconds while maintaining a completely straight wrist. People who accelerate through the sticking point can’t do this quite as well. And that’s because they’re not actually strong enough to withstand the torque on the wrist.

Brzenk will win. But go through him as if it was made of butter? Well, we never know until we see but I don't think so. Plus, Adam never claimed anything, so yeah.

16 hours ago, David_wigren said:

An attempt right from the go would probably not be that great. Wrist strength on an armwrestling table don’t always translate to the feats we do with a 1:1 ratio. He’ll most likely be strong but I don’t think he’ll blow us out of the water right from the get go. Maybe a 20 kg plate, maybe not. He’d most likely not commit to a true max attempt right from the get go. But if he gave it a year or two and treated the lift like a serious event. He’d most likely strict plate curl more than anyone of us ever have.

100%

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I admire Johns (prime John) formidably as well.

however, I sense that I’m not quite relaying how well Adams wrist strength, namely his left, stands out on the arm wrestling table.

and I’m gonna go ahead and say something that monster himself would be pissed at... I’ve pulled both Adam AND MMT in the last 18 months. (Pulled MMT at a tournament he was reffing, after tournament was over) Adams wrist gave way LESS than MMT’s wrist! While MMT did indeed run me over regardless of what I did, I was still able to control his hand briefly before his flop wrist press practically almost tore my labrum. 

...if that helps further illustrate how excellent Adams wrist and hand strength is on the table. And what’s so mesmerizing about it is Adam is still a pup on the arm wrestling scene, and weighs equally less than me than I do MMT.

should he choose to pursue arm wrestling 100%, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be known world wide on the arm wrestling scene. In short order.

btw, when are you finally gonna come to the USA and kick it with us fish??! 😎

Interesting!

On another note, didn't Joe Kinney fan boys say Joe pinched two old york 45's and strict curled them for reps?   :rolleyes :shifty