20kg strict plate curl

David_wigren

Did two reps fairly strict on my 20kg plate. The true weight of the plate is 19.8kg and the diameter is 36cm.

For reference I finished the workout with doing 18 reps with my 15kg plate that has a diameter of 34cm. It was actually my biceps that fatigued first. With the center of gravity being so far out the actual weight for the biceps is closer to 24kg so it gets quite heavy after a bunch of reps.

• Like 9

Gonna shoot for two sessions in a row where I do at least three reps with similar form. Then I’ll move up to my next 20kg plate which actually weighs 21.0kg and has a diameter of 38cm. After that I should be close to curling a full size olympic plate that weighs exact 20kg.

• Like 3

Extremely strong buddy!

Good stuff! Looking forward to your journey to a full size 20k!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lennix said:

Very impressive! 

7 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Extremely strong buddy!

5 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Good stuff! Looking forward to your journey to a full size 20k!

Thank you my friends! Unless I hit a plateau I should get it within the next few months. I’ve been making significant progress every single session thus far since I started focusing on them again 6-7 weeks ago.

3 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Thank you my friends! Unless I hit a plateau I should get it within the next few months. I’ve been making significant progress every single session thus far since I started focusing on them again 6-7 weeks ago.

Was it because of Larry Wheels and Khaled's video? That video inspired A LOT of people. Well, a guy you know planned it 😎

56 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Was it because of Larry Wheels and Khaled's video? That video inspired A LOT of people. Well, a guy you know planned it 😎

Not to rain on any parades. ATG has been killing plate curls for many years, with no competition seemingly. He mastered that feat long before Khaled or Larry showed up. And imo, is THE guy to beat worldwide on wrist strength. Namely strict plate curls! But I believe ATG to also have the most well rounded strong wrists, period. While i do have nothing but praise for Khaled, AND Larry, I do find myself somewhat scoffing at the idea that no homage was paid by anyone in that video to Adams unmatched plate curl ability, and wrist strength in general.

Ive made mention before here on the board, and it seemingly fell on deaf ears, that Adam has, quite possibly, the strongest wrists on the planet. Ever. Even when taking top level freak arm wrestlers into consideration!.. I’m not aware of any Devon Larratts, John Brzenks, or any of the Chernobyl arm wrestling sensations that can even remotely come close to demonstrating the vulgar displays of wrist strength that Adam has, and still does display. Especially when taking his relatively light BW into consideration!

like I said, not raining on any parades. I like Larry and I like Khaled. I think they are both phenoms in many ways. I just find myself sort of bummed out that Adam doesn’t get the homage I think he deserves on his wrist power alone. Especially by guys who have access to men like you, who are well versed in this topic.

Forgive my rant?.. I couldn’t resist. Adam is humble enough that he wouldn’t get in here saying these things himself. And y’all know I’m normally one to save face and all..... 😜

but I couldn’t let this go unsaid.

genuine apologies for high jacking the thread, Wiggy! I’m just sort of tired of Khaled and Larry getting mentioned in like every single thread on here these days.

another random tidbit...

Imo, the 3 top wrists on the board these days are indeed, and in this order: 

1: ATG

2: Kluv0

3: Wiggy (although on BW alone wiggy edges Mike way out!)

and yes.. I did just mention Mike in a respectful way. I can’t stand him. And think he’s a dweeb. But if I’m going to be keeping it 100, I must acknowledge that Mike has also rightfully earned a spot in the wrist strength recognition spotlight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Not to rain on any parades. ATG has been killing plate curls for many years, with no competition seemingly. He mastered that feat long before Khaled or Larry showed up. And imo, is THE guy to beat worldwide on wrist strength. Namely strict plate curls! But I believe ATG to also have the most well rounded strong wrists, period. While i do have nothing but praise for Khaled, AND Larry, I do find myself somewhat scoffing at the idea that no homage was paid by anyone in that video to Adams unmatched plate curl ability, and wrist strength in general.

Ive made mention before here on the board, and it seemingly fell on deaf ears, that Adam has, quite possibly, the strongest wrists on the planet. Ever. Even when taking top level freak arm wrestlers into consideration!.. I’m not aware of any Devon Larratts, John Brzenks, or any of the Chernobyl arm wrestling sensations that can even remotely come close to demonstrating the vulgar displays of wrist strength that Adam has, and still does display. Especially when taking his relatively light BW into consideration!

like I said, not raining on any parades. I like Larry and I like Khaled. I think they are both phenoms in many ways. I just find myself sort of bummed out that Adam doesn’t get the homage I think he deserves on his wrist power alone. Especially by guys who have access to men like you, who are well versed in this topic.

Forgive my rant?.. I couldn’t resist. Adam is humble enough that he wouldn’t get in here saying these things himself. And y’all know I’m normally one to save face and all..... 😜

genuine apologies for high jacking the thread, Wiggy! I’m just sort of tired of Khaled and Larry getting mentioned in like every single thread on here these days.

another random tidbit...

and yes.. I did just mention Mike in a respectful way. I can’t stand him. And think he’s a dweeb. But if I’m going to be keeping it 100, I must acknowledge that Mike has also rightfully earned a spot in the wrist strength recognition spotlight.

Tommy, 

You are 100% correct about Adam Glass being the BOSS plate curls and all-around wrist strength! That man is amazing on thumbless axle,too- which is great indicator of wrist power. I appreciate the mention. Dweeb? Iam more like an a@$h&^$ 

Merry Christmas and I still respect your strength and words.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

another random tidbit...

That is very cool Tommy, but who is ATG? Please elaborate. I find it very strange someone so strong I didn't hear about. As for Larry and Khaled, well grip has been highly exposed all over the world now at a accelerated rate. My question was to David, did he start this again because of Larry and Khaled video? Because that made people do it from all over the world. I am pushing for this a lot to expose grip and AW in a way. People now know CoC, Inch, Millennium, plate curls, blobs, walnut break, and so on. The reason is to expose more people to grip. Nothing against your friend ATG. Can you share a video of who ATG is and his feats? Would be interesting to see.  But you are right about Adam. Adam Glass has the best plate curls in the world on video. I know that, Khaled know that, Larry knows that as I showed them both what Adam can do. I told Adam that he has best plate curls in the world and we both have a plan to make it even bigger.

Edit: Do you mean ATG is Adam Glass? If so excuse me as I know him as Adam Glass only.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

That is very cool Tommy, but who is ATG? Please elaborate. I find it very strange someone so strong I didn't hear about. As for Larry and Khaled, well grip has been highly exposed all over the world now at a accelerated rate. My question was to David, did he start this again because of Larry and Khaled video? Because that made people do it from all over the world. I am pushing for this a lot to expose grip and AW in a way. People now know CoC, Inch, Millennium, plate curls, blobs, walnut break, and so on. The reason is to expose more people to grip. Nothing against your friend ATG. Can you share a video of who ATG is and his feats? Would be interesting to see.  But you are right about Adam. Adam Glass has the best plate curls in the world on video. I know that, Khaled know that, Larry knows that as I showed them both what Adam can do. I told Adam that he has best plate curls in the world and we both have a plan to make it even bigger.

Edit: Do you mean ATG is Adam Glass? If so excuse me as I know him as Adam Glass only.

Yes, ATG short for Adam T. Glass

i had no idea you made Larry and Khaled aware of Adams plate curl feats. I apologize for assuming you did not do that!

On a side note, I’d love to see guys like ATG, Tanner, and also some more top level arm wrestlers collaborate with Larry and Khaled. Larry has a huge following and seems receptive to having a variety of strength athletes hosted on his channel. I also respect that Larry isn’t afraid to try (and sometimes fail) various strength feats along side the best of those said disciplines for the world to see.

I look forward to seeing Adams plate curl and wrist strength being further exposed. He deserves it.

thank you for the response Bader!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Tommy, 

You are 100% correct about Adam Glass being the BOSS plate curls and all-around wrist strength! That man is amazing on thumbless axle,too- which is great indicator of wrist power. I appreciate the mention. Dweeb? Iam more like an a@$h&^$ 

Merry Christmas and I still respect your strength and words.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Yes, ATG short for Adam T. Glass

i had no idea you made Larry and Khaled aware of Adams plate curl feats. I apologize for assuming you did not do that!

On a side note, I’d love to see guys like ATG, Tanner, and also some more top level arm wrestlers collaborate with Larry and Khaled. Larry has a huge following and seems receptive to having a variety of strength athletes hosted on his channel. I also respect that Larry isn’t afraid to try (and sometimes fail) various strength feats along side the best of those said disciplines for the world to see.

I look forward to seeing Adams plate curl and wrist strength being further exposed. He deserves it.

thank you for the response Bader!

No problem Tommy! Never knew his middle name. There are plans but I cannot say further as it will spoil the fun. Adam deserves the best of course! We are close friends. And yeah, Larry is not afraid at all to try new things. But he is strong in everything he does!

• Like 1

Everyone talking about the best plate curlers and world class wrist strength like Adam T glass and David. Dont forget Nathan holles plate curling prowess. A Full size 20kg 10 reps and has done a 25KG for 2 reps. He always get overlooked on these since he is a pretty low key guy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Haha yes partly. The main reason is that all organized armwrestling is now banned by the swedish armwrestling federation I can no longer pull and I needed something else. At first I started doing heavy wrist curls but when I saw everyone doing plate curls I decided to join on the band wagon.

11 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

another random tidbit...

Adam’s the man to beat when it comes to plate curls. Whenever I hear or see someone comment on my videos about how I’m the best, I always redirect them to Adam.

However I would not equal Adam’s wrist strength to someone like John Brzenk. Sure Adam’s the man when it comes to our sport. He’s no 1 in plate curls. Probably top 3 ever at strict DU and reverse bending. Top 3 at sledge levers, maybe even top 1. People nowadays don’t know that Adam used to lever insane weight using form that is stricter than what most do today. I know Adam used some sort of loadable hammer from Ryan Pitts, which included the weight of the handle. If I’m not mistaken I remember Adam levering in the high 20’s maybe even low 30’s with that handle, which IMO is close to the best ever in that movement. I could list many more examples of why Adam is the man in our sport. However when it comes to pronation, supination and probably also wrist flexion, Brzenk is most likely ahead of Adam by such a margin that I would still put Brzenk’s wrists as overall stronger than Adam’s.

I also wouldn’t put myself 3rd. I’d put Marco Buhl ahead of me aswell. Nathan’s difficult to place since his form is different. But I think I’d put him ahead of both myself and Marco if I had to decide. But still behind Adam.

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Everyone talking about the best plate curlers and world class wrist strength like Adam T glass and David. Dont forget Nathan holles plate curling prowess. A Full size 20kg 10 reps and has done a 25KG for 2 reps. He always get overlooked on these since he is a pretty low key guy.

On the topic of Nathan. Nathan’s a beast. But the only video I’ve seen is him doing a few reps with a 20kg plate that is NOT full size. Not unless he’s like 2.2m tall. His wrist is kinked back, the plate is angled so it’s a semi hammer curl and there is slight acceleration from the first half of the curl which helps him to get through the sticking point. If you look at my video, the wrist is completely straight and the movement is smooth from the start and slows down in the middle due to the increased difficulty. I want to take a moment to explain that I’m not accusing him of “cheating”. I think he’s just doing the plate curls with his style because that’s how he likes doing them. He’s probably not trying to adhere to the standard we’re following. I do think that if he actually tried to do them with accordance to what we would consider strict he would probably do a few reps with a plate similar to what I used. At least if he got a few sessions to get used to the movement. However I don’t think he’d be able to do a single rep with a full sized 20 kg plate. From the videos I’ve seen I’d be VERY surprised if he could! I say that because I could do cheat reps with a 20 kg plate many years ago, when my max on that same 15kg plate was 7-8 reps. Now my max with the same 15kg plate is 18 reps (probably more than 20 reps if I tried it fresh) and I’m only just now starting to get a smaller 20kg plate with strict form. Execution is everything! And the most important part is to keep the wrist straight and to not accelerate at the bottom. A big harsh maybe. But like I said, I think he’s just doing them his way because that’s how he’s always done them. 
It’s like comparing a MMS close and a TNS close. You’re still closing the gripper, but TNS is obviously alot harder.

• Like 1

Great work David, very strong. As for Nathan, i don't think any of his best stuff has been seen on video from what he's said so guess its if you believe him or not but he did say in the plate curl video i assume you are talking of that he had not long since done a 20kg plate in it, and went on to strictly plate curl full size 20kg x 10 and full size 25kg x 2. He's also said he's done 20+ parrallel reps on coc 4 but i think only 7 on video. I don't really understand why he would lie personally, obviously be cool to see videos. Pretty sure it was a full size 20kg in the video as looks to be bodypower 20kg, it's probably most common plate in UK. They are slightly smaller than competition powerlifting / bumper plates though if thats what classed as full size.

Edit - would also have to mention david horne for strongest wrists. Very strong in all espects.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Haha yes partly. The main reason is that all organized armwrestling is now banned by the swedish armwrestling federation I can no longer pull and I needed something else. At first I started doing heavy wrist curls but when I saw everyone doing plate curls I decided to join on the band wagon.

Adam’s the man to beat when it comes to plate curls. Whenever I hear or see someone comment on my videos about how I’m the best, I always redirect them to Adam.

However I would not equal Adam’s wrist strength to someone like John Brzenk. Sure Adam’s the man when it comes to our sport. He’s no 1 in plate curls. Probably top 3 ever at strict DU and reverse bending. Top 3 at sledge levers, maybe even top 1. People nowadays don’t know that Adam used to lever insane weight using form that is stricter than what most do today. I know Adam used some sort of loadable hammer from Ryan Pitts, which included the weight of the handle. If I’m not mistaken I remember Adam levering in the high 20’s maybe even low 30’s with that handle, which IMO is close to the best ever in that movement. I could list many more examples of why Adam is the man in our sport. However when it comes to pronation, supination and probably also wrist flexion, Brzenk is most likely ahead of Adam by such a margin that I would still put Brzenk’s wrists as overall stronger than Adam’s.

I also wouldn’t put myself 3rd. I’d put Marco Buhl ahead of me aswell. Nathan’s difficult to place since his form is different. But I think I’d put him ahead of both myself and Marco if I had to decide. But still behind Adam.

On the topic of Nathan. Nathan’s a beast. But the only video I’ve seen is him doing a few reps with a 20kg plate that is NOT full size. Not unless he’s like 2.2m tall. His wrist is kinked back, the plate is angled so it’s a semi hammer curl and there is slight acceleration from the first half of the curl which helps him to get through the sticking point. If you look at my video, the wrist is completely straight and the movement is smooth from the start and slows down in the middle due to the increased difficulty. I want to take a moment to explain that I’m not accusing him of “cheating”. I think he’s just doing the plate curls with his style because that’s how he likes doing them. He’s probably not trying to adhere to the standard we’re following. I do think that if he actually tried to do them with accordance to what we would consider strict he would probably do a few reps with a plate similar to what I used. At least if he got a few sessions to get used to the movement. However I don’t think he’d be able to do a single rep with a full sized 20 kg plate. From the videos I’ve seen I’d be VERY surprised if he could! I say that because I could do cheat reps with a 20 kg plate many years ago, when my max on that same 15kg plate was 7-8 reps. Now my max with the same 15kg plate is 18 reps (probably more than 20 reps if I tried it fresh) and I’m only just now starting to get a smaller 20kg plate with strict form. Execution is everything! And the most important part is to keep the wrist straight and to not accelerate at the bottom. A big harsh maybe. But like I said, I think he’s just doing them his way because that’s how he’s always done them. 
It’s like comparing a MMS close and a TNS close. You’re still closing the gripper, but TNS is obviously alot harder.

He has a video of him curling a full 18.5in 20kg standing pretty upright on insta. A bit of swing but strict enough, i think standing upright makes it harder to get the curl going than bending over. I think like you said its just the way he has always done them. Im not saying he is the Goat at them just up there.

He is 1.94cm tall for reference. He said he is trying to recover his 25kg vids. Id love to see them. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he done them at his strongest.

Adam T glass must be the current best and you are certainly not far behind him. Of all time it must be Nick mckinless who has done double full size 20kg and a back against the wall strict 20kg what is crazy strong. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

4 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I had not taken pronate/supinate into consideration when comparing Adams wrists to guys like Brzenk. Although based off the shock factor Adams hands and wrists are bringing to the table on the arm wrestling scene as of late, I wouldn’t feel out of line to bet that even Brzenk likely couldn’t toproll Adam. Adams Hand and wrist, namely on his left, are flat out immovable. Brzenk would be left with no choice but to hook or press Adam.

not suggesting that Adam would dominate Brzenk on the table. But am suggesting that even Brzenk would say “holy shit!” If he tried to toproll Adam. Lol!

4 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Of all time it must be Nick mckinless who has done double full size 20kg and a back against the wall strict 20kg what is crazy strong. 

I’d have to see that to believe it. Back against a wall doesn’t necessarily make it strict. I’ve seen several videos of people plate curling with their back against the wall and it looked absolutely horrible even though their back was against the wall the whole time. Standing up straight or leaning forward doesn’t matter. It’s not a feat of biceps strength. It’s a wrist feat so the prime objective is to see how much the wrist can withstand without bending back. As soon as the wrist is compromised it’s a failed lift, regardless if your back was against a wall or not. In fact, I like to start with the weight just a bit forward, by doing so it becomes almost impossible to swing. For it to be truly strict, you should almost be able to stop at any point during the curl and hold it there for a second or two. You might not be able to continue the curl after stopping, but you should at least be able to stop and hold it. I have absolutely no problem holding the plate parallel  to the ground for many seconds while maintaining a completely straight wrist. People who accelerate through the sticking point can’t do this quite as well. And that’s because they’re not actually strong enough to withstand the torque on the wrist.

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I had not taken pronate/supinate into consideration when comparing Adams wrists to guys like Brzenk. Although based off the shock factor Adams hands and wrists are bringing to the table on the arm wrestling scene as of late, I wouldn’t feel out of line to bet that even Brzenk likely couldn’t toproll Adam. Adams Hand and wrist, namely on his left, are flat out immovable. Brzenk would be left with no choice but to hook or press Adam.

not suggesting that Adam would dominate Brzenk on the table. But am suggesting that even Brzenk would say “holy shit!” If he tried to toproll Adam. Lol!

an aged Brzenk who’s not trained for years and have pulled 30 people before might not toproll Adam. Prime Brzenk who is contest-ready would go through Adam’s wrist as if it was made of butter.

I’ve felt some of the Chernobyl pullers. They’re alot stronger than people think. And people already think they’re strong. And Brzenk went through the biggest and baddest of them at one time or another and did so primarily due to his superior hand and wrist strength. 

I wonder what someone like Levan Saginashvili could do if he put his mind to plate curl? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to arm wrestling but he seems insanely strong at everything.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Anemptybox said:

I wonder what someone like Levan Saginashvili could do if he put his mind to plate curl? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to arm wrestling but he seems insanely strong at everything.

An attempt right from the go would probably not be that great. Wrist strength on an armwrestling table don’t always translate to the feats we do with a 1:1 ratio. He’ll most likely be strong but I don’t think he’ll blow us out of the water right from the get go. Maybe a 20 kg plate, maybe not. He’d most likely not commit to a true max attempt right from the get go. But if he gave it a year or two and treated the lift like a serious event. He’d most likely strict plate curl more than anyone of us ever have.

• Like 1