Who has lifted the INCH Dumbbell at Bodyweight or less?

mcalpine1986

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Those stats are pretty outdated. Since grippers are rarely contested. Since then Tanner has almost closed COC#4 and if I remember correctly also CCS closed #3.5. He also has the WR in the Silver Bullet on the #4.

Different implements is part of allround grip, whether you like it or not.

He probably has stronger wrists also. Reverse bent a red nail etc.

No doubt! Also, Tanner is a monster with blobs, etc. Great fact about Tanner- Since 2017, only 1 man(big Carl) has beaten him in a contest on American soil. No would of, should of, could of, part-time, full-time with Tanner as he is REAL TIME! 

Edited by Kluv#0
correction

Just now, Kluv#0 said:

No doubt! Also, Tanner is a monster with blobs,etc. Great fact about Tanner- Since 2017, only 1 man(big Carl) has beaten him in a contest on American soil. No would of, should of, could of, part-time, full-time with Tanner as he is REAL TIME! 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Those stats are pretty outdated. Since grippers are rarely contested. Since then Tanner has almost closed COC#4 and if I remember correctly also CCS closed #3.5. He also has the WR in the Silver Bullet on the #4.

Different implements is part of allround grip, whether you like it or not.

He probably has stronger wrists also. Reverse bent a red nail etc.

Best to focus of the main grip categories that have been contested for many years. Doesn't mean much to be a world record holder in eg. penny pinch. I have no idea if Kody has progressed over the last 5 years but I sense you believe he has either not gotten any stronger or has stopped training grip altogether. In any case Tanner's pinch is nowhere near what Kody did at his best (2015) and that is a hole in his game. Pinch is one of the big four (crush, pinch, thickbar and wrists). Don't get me wrong I too would place Tanner as one of the top three of all time in allround grip strength but apart from wrist strength (I am not sure exactly how strong Kody's wrists are/were) Kody's crush (ranked #3 in both the 83k and 93k classes- 20 mm block set), pinch (way ahead of everyone pound-for-pound and the strongest of all time regardless of body weight on the most contested and only hand size neutral pinch lift [euro]) and thickbar are all at elite level (eg he is ranked #1 in the 93k class in the axle deadlift). Competition results always trumps training results imo. You can be better than someone else in three out of the four categories and still lose overall if you are way behind in the fourth event. Also keep in mind that you might be comparing Tanner's current strength level without realising that he longer competes in the same weight class as Kody did at his peak (which was the 93k class).

Also, and importantly, in terms of all time best in allround grip strength pound-for-pound it is critical that we compare results done by a lifter in a single year. Tanner's best competition result on the 2.5'' crusher is 104.55k in the 83k class (2018) and 100.00k in the 105k class (2019). You can't mix which years to use for a comparison or it will become an exercise in stupidity (as lifters might focus on a particular grip aspect one year at the expense of allround capability). Kody's peak in allround grip strength in competition was in 2015 (93k class).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

On 12/10/2020 at 5:55 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

Bruce White (Australia) was around 67k when he lifted it without tilt to full lockout.

Is there any video footage of this, or just pictures of him bracing it against his body, like I have always seen?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

download.jpg.406ed873d32e87750e739ce9e6fe66c7.jpg

That is totally braced against his body.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 1:27 PM, Eric Roussin said:

I have full belief that Bruce is one of the pound-for-pound best of all time. But Yves has done lots of tremendous feats on video and in sanctioned grip contests. I’m not saying he’s necessarily better than Bruce, but there’s just as much, if not more, evidence to support an argument for him being the p4p best.

I'm with you Eric.  Ives' evidence is unquestionable.  Bruce's evidence is all questionable, that I've seen.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 6:20 PM, Boulderbrew said:

Im dying to try the MDB...I really think I could do it if I had access to one 

You absolutely could, first time seeing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:53 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

Kody Burns is my pick. Tanner is 20% or thereabouts stronger in thickbar lifting than Kody was at the same weight but Kody was even further ahead in the pinch. Crush is quite similar. On the Euro Kody's best is 124k vs 93k for Tanner in the 93k class. That's a huge difference and Kody's one hand pinch was monstrous. Still remember him holding 2x25k for like a minute and that was after a grip competition, absolutely insane pinch strength.

You do realize Kody lifted them and then braced against his body for the rest of that time, right?  It blows me away that people do not realize this.  It is clearly against his body, in true Bruce White style.

Nothing against Kody.  He beat me that day.  But facts are facts.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

You absolutely could, first time seeing it.

Hopefully one day I can try it 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

That is totally braced against his body.

I don't think you have much choice lifting it with pronated hand when the dumbbell weighs more than you do (or you will tip over). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

You do realize Kody lifted them and then braced against his body for the rest of that time, right?  It blows me away that people do not realize this.  It is clearly against his body, in true Bruce White style.

Nothing against Kody.  He beat me that day.  But facts are facts.

In any case his performance on the Euro (the most contested pinch grip apparatus) is far and away the best pound-for-pound. This is as unquestionable as any pinch grip performance can be. No excuse for having to lift at a suboptimal width.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:46 AM, Hubgeezer said:

My brother is friends with Wayne, the author of the article. He is emailing him, and I quote: "I will ask him if he ever filmed (video was not around then) anything on Bruce White".

Back on the subject of Bruce White. There was an article posted on this thread, published in Iron Man Magazine in 1978, written by Wayne Gallasch of Australia. If you look up Wayne, you will see that he may have shot the most and best still photos, as well as film and video of the so called Classic Bodybuilding era. Pre “Pumping Iron Era”, no one in his league. For whatever reason, Joe Weider did not shoot film of his contests. Interesting videos interviewing Wayne on the Web, YouTube, etc., his company is GMV Productions.

I stated above that my brother is friends with Wayne, and I asked my bro to ask Wayne about Bruce.

The article in Iron Man was published in 1978. It was in fact written in 1970. Wayne told my brother this past week that he”visited Bruce White in May of 1970 in the SW corner of the state of Western Australia, it was a couple of months before I bought my first super 8 cine camera.” He purchased the super 8 in August of 1970, and described Bruce as “very shy”. He had only taken some still photos of Bruce.

I do not think it is possible to compare Bruce White to the modern gripsters. No question, he was in a class by himself during his time, there was no one in the same building as him. And people should not be bellyaching that “there is no video proof”, as that is like complaining that no one should  have been convicted of a crime 50 years ago because it lacked DNA evidence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I'm with you Eric.  Ives' evidence is unquestionable.  Bruce's evidence is all questionable, that I've seen.

You sound like a Bruce White hater lol but yes, Yves' best 1HP competition lift on the Flask is unquestionably not world class pound-for-pound so we don't have to guess there.

6 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Wayne told my brother this past week that he”visited Bruce White in May of 1970 in the SW corner of the state of Western Australia, it was a couple of months before I bought my first super 8 cine camera.” He purchased the super 8 in August of 1970, and described Bruce as “very shy”. He had only taken some still photos of Bruce.

He would not have been able to secure any footage of Bruce lifting his red Inch dumbbell because Bruce indicated it had taken him 5 years to finally lift it in 1983.

15 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Is there any video footage of this, or just pictures of him bracing it against his body, like I have always seen?

Not sure, I shall investigate if there are any eyewitnesses still alive in Perth.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, Fist of Fury said:

He also has the WR in the Silver Bullet on the #4.

You do realise that Kody held the WR on the #3 Bullet Straphold (see Ironmind's record list)? Not sure if he ever tried the #4 but he beat guys like Juha and Mike Burke on the #3. Also did Tanner beat the record on the #4 weighing above 93k? It is relevant as we are discussing pound-for-pound performance.

Eyewitness accounts of Bruce's pinch lifting ability by Wayne Gallasch.

"Grip training was next and here I observed some incredible feats.

For a warmup, the 50 lb. smooth sided plate was lifted for 20 reps with each hand. Then the 90 lb. plate was raised for 8 reps with each hand. Bruce adds weight via a dumbell rod through the plate’s center (see photo) and works up to limit attempts around 105 lbs. Bruce has moved 121 lbs. off the floor."

Yes it sounds like he would have beaten Yves with ease in one hand pinch lifting. Wayne (given his credentials) is every bit as credible witness as anyone who has ever witnessed any of Yves' training lifts. 

For those who don't know who Wayne is:

https://www.gmv.com.au/default.asp?pageid=products&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=30&prodid=1258&site=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

You do realise that Kody held the WR on the #3 Bullet Straphold (see Ironmind's record list)? Not sure if he ever tried the #4 but he beat guys like Juha and Mike Burke on the #3. Also did Tanner beat the record on the #4 weighing above 93k? It is relevant as we are discussing pound-for-pound performance.

Have you checked out ArmliftingUSA record page as all of those are not included on GSI records?

2 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Have you checked out ArmliftingUSA record page as all of those are not included on GSI records?

I looked at Ironmind.com which seems to be the same as Armlifting USA in terms of the records list? Anyway my point was that there is not a big difference at all in gripper strength between Kody's best (2015, 93k class) and Tanner pound-for-pound as was suggested by someone in this thread.

I think Bruce White's gripper strength would be virtually impossible to compare with current grip athletes so that is admittedly an unknown (eg setting technique, actual poundages etc.).

Given Bruce's huge deadlifts (and some were done with a credible witness) he was obviously an exceptionally strong individual for his size so for him to be able to eventually deadlift an Inch dumbbell (given he had a higher deadlift max than almost all of us here and that in spite of weighing 67k or thereabouts) is not that much of a surprise to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I looked at Ironmind.com which seems to be the same as Armlifting USA in terms of the records list? Anyway my point was that there is not a big difference at all in gripper strength between Kody's best (2015, 93k class) and Tanner pound-for-pound as was suggested by someone in this thread.

I think Bruce White's gripper strength would be virtually impossible to compare with current grip athletes so that is admittedly an unknown (eg setting technique, actual poundages etc.).

Given Bruce's huge deadlifts (and some were done with a credible witness) he was obviously an exceptionally strong individual for his size so for him to be able to eventually deadlift an Inch dumbbell (given he had a higher deadlift max than almost all of us here and that in spite of weighing 67k or thereabouts) is not that much of a surprise to me.

I was referring to the pinch strength as the euro has not been contested that often due to the high amount of time to run a contest with it in it. Also tanners weight with the silver bullet #4.

Edited by Lucasraymond

12 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I was referring to the pinch strength as the euro has not been contested that often due to the high amount of time to run a contest with it in it. Also tanners weight with the silver bullet #4.

The Euro has a long history going back to 2004 so it has been used a lot over the years. The flask, for example, has only been used since 2017 or thereabouts (NASG lists). 

Tanner's best on the flask is 52k (105k) which is nowhere near as good as Kody's 59k on the Euro at 93k.

I never doubted that Tanner is stronger with grippers than Kody was at his peak, even pound-for-pound but the difference is much smaller than for the competition results in pinch lifting where Tanner (105k) is well below Kody (93k) in absolute terms, not to mention pound-for pound.

Even past his 2015 peak Kody lifted more on the flask at 83k than Tanner did at 105k.

31 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

The Euro has a long history going back to 2004 so it has been used a lot over the years. The flask, for example, has only been used since 2017 or thereabouts (NASG lists). 

Tanner's best on the flask is 52k (105k) which is nowhere near as good as Kody's 59k on the Euro at 93k.

I never doubted that Tanner is stronger with grippers than Kody was at his peak, even pound-for-pound but the difference is much smaller than for the competition results in pinch lifting where Tanner (105k) is well below Kody (93k) in absolute terms, not to mention pound-for pound.

Even past his 2015 peak Kody lifted more on the flask at 83k than Tanner did at 105k.

Ive competed at 105k weighing 206lbs bc i didnt care about 93kg so comparing 183 vs 231 might be 183 vs 206. The past 3 years of grip has seen almost no euro being contest except for Jedds contests so it doesnt have recent number from a lot of people. Comparing narrow pinch vs wide pinch (flask vs saxon/ironmind pinch block) arent the same. I believe tanner would excel in the >70mm widths vs the flask 58mm. Yes it is tough to compare bruce to anyone today but bruces numbers werent in contest so you have to take training lifts in account to compare to him. Someone lifting say 100k on the euro successfully but jumping to 110kg and missing by 1-2mm of height doesnt show someones true strength when looking at the numbers just poor choice on weight during contest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

No I had no idea that Kody had the record for the #3 it has been listed on IM's site for years...

Done "arguing" with you.

That you honestly think that a #3 hold even compares to even setting a #4 gripper is hilarious. Not even worth my time commeting anymore.

About Tanners, weight, why not ask the man himself.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

But facts are facts.

But only the facts that suits your agenda. Everything else is irrelevant around here.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

No I had no idea that Kody had the record for the #3 it has been listed on IM's site for years...

Done "arguing" with you.

That you honestly think that a #3 hold even compares to even setting a #4 gripper is hilarious. Not even worth my time commeting anymore.

About Tanners, weight, why not ask the man himself.

What is truly hilarious is that you repeatedly resort to strawman tactics. I never said a #3 compares to a #4 in difficulty. If you care to look at the IM site you will notice that Kody's former record time for the #3 (57 sec) is much longer than Tanner's record for the #4 (30 sec).

I don't need to ask Tanner about his weight as the weight classes are noted on eg the NAGS lists.