Who has lifted the INCH Dumbbell at Bodyweight or less?

mcalpine1986

2 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Damn...you don’t sound like a gun-toting Texas Redneck...You sound more like an insightful observant philosopher. 

Seriously, very well said, you bring up some good points.

Lol! Redneck?... no. Gun toting Texan? Hellyeah.

fun fact...

how everyone not from Tx thinks I eat my breakfast...

0FFC2FE7-5103-49A7-ACF0-DBED910E5511.thumb.png.f81e382e8793668d067f8e8e8b4395a8.png

...vs how I actually eat my breakfast.

16A41F5C-EB30-48D6-8B02-BF0ACE052F39.thumb.png.ea274cbc3d37100f46e2ab26f2935a58.png

only kidding.... the hot sauce tends to mess my mouth up for my morning dip of snuff right after breakfast. I usually skip the sauce.

I’ll add that I’m not fully in disagreement with, nor am I judging Jedder for not being interested in Bruce’s DL. Jedd is loyal to grip. Can’t hate a man for only having one passion.

and Bader simply cherishes posterity. Nothing wrong with that either. Especially in today’s world with mass amounts of fakers in the strength game!

in fact, this guy has apparently been the topic of many heated debates over the years.. and is probably the most infamous case of being a strength feat cheater, ever. Dr. Ken Leistner.

He’s obviously been around for some time long before I showed up. only learned about him recently.. but WOW what an epic tale of deceit! Such a let down for many as I understand it.

that said, I can see why so many are hesitant to give merit to old school feats/legendary performances. 🤷🏼‍♂️

http://thinkmuscle.com/community/threads/the-infamous-dr-ken-leistner-training-video.43537/

link in case anyone wants to see footage of some of his most fake fakery. Skip to the video where he’s in some kind of garage gym. Pay attention particularly to the 250lb+ oh strictish barbell presses (that look incredibly easy for a guy with little muscle on his frame). Then have a look at the 4 plate squat for 23 reps... dude allegedly weighed only 160’ish pounds in the home gym video with the OH presses and squats.

• Like 1

Bruce White's deadlifting abilities is briefly mentioned in IPF's (International Powerlifting Federation) history section.

https://www.powerlifting.sport/federation/history

Wonder what he could have pulled with a proper powerlifting belt or any lifting belt for that matter. I recall gaining about 10k using a belt.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol! Redneck?... no. Gun toting Texan? Hellyeah.

fun fact...

how everyone not from Tx thinks I eat my breakfast...

0FFC2FE7-5103-49A7-ACF0-DBED910E5511.thumb.png.f81e382e8793668d067f8e8e8b4395a8.png

...vs how I actually eat my breakfast.

16A41F5C-EB30-48D6-8B02-BF0ACE052F39.thumb.png.ea274cbc3d37100f46e2ab26f2935a58.png

only kidding.... the hot sauce tends to mess my mouth up for my morning dip of snuff right after breakfast. I usually skip the sauce.

I’ll add that I’m not fully in disagreement with, nor am I judging Jedder for not being interested in Bruce’s DL. Jedd is loyal to grip. Can’t hate a man for only having one passion.

and Bader simply cherishes posterity. Nothing wrong with that either. Especially in today’s world with mass amounts of fakers in the strength game!

in fact, this guy has apparently been the topic of many heated debates over the years.. and is probably the most infamous case of being a strength feat cheater, ever. Dr. Ken Leistner.

He’s obviously been around for some time long before I showed up. only learned about him recently.. but WOW what an epic tale of deceit! Such a let down for many as I understand it.

that said, I can see why so many are hesitant to give merit to old school feats/legendary performances. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 2:08 AM, Fist of Fury said:

Bob Sundin (odin) is the first one I can think of. 

Super Big Deal here that we all forgot to mention. Bob was way past 50 when he did that for the first time.

👍💪

As far as I am concerned, he trumps everyone!

• Like 2

Bob is super strong for his weight but weighed quite a bit more than Bruce and Yves. I don't think being a bit over 50 makes it that much harder. My grip is the strongest its ever been and I am 58.

Having said that, I think however Bob overcame some medical issues which makes it even more impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

Catching up because I haven't been on here for about a month. I still find just about every Bruce White pictures to be questionable.  

I do need to say that I might have been wrong able the purposeful front load on the pinch. We tried replicating that here and we could not get it to work as an advantage.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2020 at 4:49 AM, Tommy J. said:

http://thinkmuscle.com/community/threads/the-infamous-dr-ken-leistner-training-video.43537/

link in case anyone wants to see footage of some of his most fake fakery. Skip to the video where he’s in some kind of garage gym. Pay attention particularly to the 250lb+ oh strictish barbell presses (that look incredibly easy for a guy with little muscle on his frame). Then have a look at the 4 plate squat for 23 reps... dude allegedly weighed only 160’ish pounds in the home gym video with the OH presses and squats.

I always find it comical when those not in the know question the integrity of Dr Ken's lifting that day.

I was close to him & trained under him for more than two decades straight starting as a teenager.... both at his Iron Island Gym and his garage/home gym facility.  I, and my training partners used those exact same York plates and bar in his garage for a while  both prior and after the video. He loved equipment and bought & sold stuff in regularly to keep us lifters motivated. Plates were always top of line Eleiko, Leoko, York etc.  Only the best equipment made it into Iron Island Gym or his garage training facility.

Pro NFL players were training on those same York plates in the off season at time of video.  One NFL player was our regular training partner on Saturday mornings in the off season.  We remember joking about him refinishing them silver spray paint and the tedious work he did with the red lettering with a tiny paint brush as he was a meticulous with his equipment. 

I literally squatted with that same York bar & plates as recently as day or two before his filmed workout. Leading up to the video, he had been training regularly and specifically on those same movements.

My #'s never magically skyrocketed when using these specific York plates or bar that year. At that time, I was consistently squatting in the 315-325 range for 15-20+ reps at 5'6, ~170-175 lbs bodyweight. We trained that way regularly, so it was not uncommon to see big high rep sets from many, even me with less than stellar genetics. 

Believe what you wish, but I have no doubt nor does anyone who was actually there. There were never any shortcuts with him or anyone associated.  Everything was about all out effort & doing things the right way.

Edited by Vinny F
  • Like 1

I've read through this thread a few times no need to beat a dead horse... I hover between 172-176... Id love to lift the inch at 170lbs... I don't see why I couldn't.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've read through this thread a few times no need to beat a dead horse... I hover between 172-176... Id love to lift the inch at 170lbs... I don't see why I couldn't.  

You don't need a lot of muscle to lift the inch db. It's mostly about tendon strength. If your fingers and wrist are strong enough you will lift it. Thumb strength can be useful and that is a tiny muscle. Also you don't need to use your thumb to lift it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

You don't need a lot of muscle to lift the inch db. It's mostly about tendon strength. If your fingers and wrist are strong enough you will lift it. Thumb strength can be useful and that is a tiny muscle. Also you don't need to use your thumb to lift it.

Thanks. I’m pretty confident I will be able to do it.  I just need to keep my diet in check.

• Like 3

I'm toying with making lifting the inch at body weight a goal.  I'm 53, 5'6", 180, but I am carrying at least 15 pounds more than I should be in fat (probably more).  I do NOT have strong thick-bar numbers, so it would be a big jump for me.  Right now I can only do 140-150 on a bell with the inch type handle.  Also my hands are only 7.5 inches.  In my favor, I do have strong forearms and great crush for my size.  I've never really worked thick bar, so if I get an inch trainer and keep to it, I should see some gains.  Not sure if it is too ambitious, but I never thought I'd cert the 3 either, and it happened after a few years of having that as an end goal.  If I don't latch onto another goal, I just won't train enough.  I think I need something out there to go after.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'm toying with making lifting the inch at body weight a goal.  I'm 53, 5'6", 180, but I am carrying at least 15 pounds more than I should be in fat (probably more).  I do NOT have strong thick-bar numbers, so it would be a big jump for me.  Right now I can only do 140-150 on a bell with the inch type handle.  Also my hands are only 7.5 inches.  In my favor, I do have strong forearms and great crush for my size.  I've never really worked thick bar, so if I get an inch trainer and keep to it, I should see some gains.  Not sure if it is too ambitious, but I never thought I'd cert the 3 either, and it happened after a few years of having that as an end goal.  If I don't latch onto another goal, I just won't train enough.  I think I need something out there to go after.

Do it. I know you can. Only 140-150? That’s not groundbreaking but that is respectable and pretty strong. 

We only get one trip on their earth. You can lift the inch or not but it MIGHT be a little harder after we kick the bucket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Even getting 2 to 1...I would not consider betting against you Vin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Even getting 2 to 1...I would not consider betting against you Vin.

Thanks, Nate.

• Like 1

Hey Vinnie, I'm mid-40s, with a just-under 7.5" hand - I found lots of (2 3/8") Wrist wrench (where I don't let my wrist break) carries over just as much as thick bar/rolling handles do for trying to lift solid fixed dumbbells like the inch. 

I feel Inch picks/holds in my wrist as much, if not more than, my fingers.. A few other training partners I have with average-size hands seem to agree....   Massive (long) hands don't need as much wrist I suspect?  

Just my 0.02 

Good Luck in your training

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BradProv said:

Hey Vinnie, I'm mid-40s, with a just-under 7.5" hand - I found lots of (2 3/8") Wrist wrench (where I don't let my wrist break) carries over just as much as thick bar/rolling handles do for trying to lift solid fixed dumbbells like the inch. 

I feel Inch picks/holds in my wrist as much, if not more than, my fingers.. A few other training partners I have with average-size hands seem to agree....   Massive (long) hands don't need as much wrist I suspect?  

Just my 0.02 

Good Luck in your training

Thanks!  I should get on this.  I haven't done much of anything for 8 or 9 months.  It's time.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks!  I should get on this.  I haven't done much of anything for 8 or 9 months.  It's time.

Just think, if you started 8 or 9 months ago theres a very high chance you'd be lifting the inch already.

best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago... the 2nd best is today!

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Oh yeah!  I have been training for it as well.   We can motivate each other. I'm tired of looking at it sit in my garage laughing at me every time I work out. Good luck 🤘

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Just think, if you started 8 or 9 months ago theres a very high chance you'd be lifting the inch already.

best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago... the 2nd best is today!

Well that's mighty kind of you to say, but it took four years to cert the 3 and I think the Inch is harder (or at least I am further from it).  So I am thinking this is a years thing, not a months thing ...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Well that's mighty kind of you to say, but it took four years to cert the 3 and I think the Inch is harder (or at least I am further from it).  So I am thinking this is a years thing, not a months thing ...

If you can do 140-150 already on a handle like the inch you aren’t that far off. I did 80lbs last week.  It wasn’t too bad and I’ve only been at it seriously for 2 months. I’d love to lift the inch in under a year. I think I can with Jedd as my coach…. And I’m not and old man like you😝

• Haha 1