Who has lifted the INCH Dumbbell at Bodyweight or less?

mcalpine1986

What the title says, who can you think of that has lifted the full 172lb/78kg Inch weighing that or less?

All i know of is Yves Gravelle who has lifted it at a really light bodyweight.

• Like 1

Bob Sundin (odin) is the first one I can think of. There was also a guy from Australia I believe, I don't remember his name though.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Bob Sundin (odin) is the first one I can think of. There was also a guy from Australia I believe, I don't remember his name though.

I hadnt heard of bob but Ive just looked him up, he has done some amazing feats at around 170lbs. Thanks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I hadnt heard of bob but Ive just looked him up, he has done some amazing feats at around 170lbs. Thanks. 

Yes, very strong guy and especially for his BW.

• Like 1

I also believe that when Tanner Merkle first started grip he was around that weight and he could lift the Inch without a problem. Not sure if he was at the exact same weight or not but he was around 80 kg, that much I know. He might have been lighter than the Inch DB when he lifted it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I also believe that when Tanner Merkle first started grip he was around that weight and he could lift the Inch without a problem. Not sure if he was at the exact same weight or not but he was around 80 kg, that much I know. He might have been lighter than the Inch DB when he lifted it.

Not surprising as i think Tanner is secretly a cyborg 😂 

I have goal to lift it at bodyweight or less. I weigh 80kg now but im normally lighter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bruce White (Australia) was around 67k when he lifted it without tilt to full lockout.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Not surprising as i think Tanner is secretly a cyborg 😂 

I have goal to lift it at bodyweight or less. I weigh 80kg now but im normally lighter.

Haha yes he's very gifted for sure.

Work up finger and thumb strength and it's possible. That's what so fun with grip training, you don't need to be super heavy to be good at it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Bruce White (Australia) was around 67k when he lifted it without tilt to full lockout.

Bruce was something else. Crazy grip.

5 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Haha yes he's very gifted for sure.

Work up finger and thumb strength and it's possible. That's what so fun with grip training, you don't need to be super heavy to be good at it.

He sure is. Works damn hard as well no doubt.

Im working on it and have been using a "Holle it up" offset loadable Db handle i had Made. Nathan holle said if you can lift 60kg on it you can lift the inch. Im still a lonh way off but gimme a year or 2 and i believe i will do it. A mate of mine has an inch so i have access to one.

Matthias "Hellboy" Schlitte at 70kg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Matthias "Hellboy" Schlitte at 70kg

Amazing but with his huge arm not surprising. Thanks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Allen Heineck said:

Yves Gravelle I think.  Maybe Eric Roussin will weigh in

Yes yves has. He is the lightest man of all to do it. I think he was only about 145-150lbs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes yves has. He is the lightest man of all to do it. I think he was only about 145-150lbs.

Not so sure about that. Bruce would have weighed about the same. I can't recall seeing any video footage of Yves lifting it levelled to lockout so in my mind Bruce is still the one to beat pound-for-pound.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes, 145.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Not so sure about that. Bruce would have weighed about the same. I can't recall seeing any video footage of Yves lifting it levelled to lockout so in my mind Bruce is still the one to beat pound-for-pound.

Is there video footage of Bruce’s lift?

• Like 3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEr5D0jh70P/

Photograph of Bill Kazmaier pressing Bruce White's red inch replica (it weighs about 79k).

Not sure if there is a video recording. Most people in the Australian outback would not have had any video camera in the early 80ies. The photograph of him holding it at full lockout is a very good indication that he could lift it with spare strength. There is no excuse not to video record exceptional grip strength feats in 2020 but we can't expect video footage of lifts done by a farmer in the Australian outback in the early 1980ies. Btw his pinch strength was equally impressive, having one hand pinched over 50k at a bodyweight around 67k (not to mention his huge deadlifts around 300k). He was an exceptionally strong man for his size.

You can probably get more information about Bruce from Nick McKinless if you are interested. He interviewed him in 2004.

As indicated in Oldtimer's post, Frank Lamp would be another good source for information about Bruce.

Several grip people regard him as one of the best of all time (eg David Horne and Richard Sorin).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

As indicated in Oldtimer's post, Frank Lamp would be another good source for information about Bruce.

Several grip people regard him as one of the best of all time (eg David Horne and Richard Sorin).

I have full belief that Bruce is one of the pound-for-pound best of all time. But Yves has done lots of tremendous feats on video and in sanctioned grip contests. I’m not saying he’s necessarily better than Bruce, but there’s just as much, if not more, evidence to support an argument for him being the p4p best.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I have full belief that Bruce is one of the pound-for-pound best of all time. But Yves has done lots of tremendous feats on video and in sanctioned grip contests. I’m not saying he’s necessarily better than Bruce, but there’s just as much, if not more, evidence to support an argument for him being the p4p best.

You can't be serious. Yves is recorded for a 68.38k two hand pinch on the flask and a 38.38k one hand pinch on the flask. Even I have exceeded that pound-for-pound. I have one hand pinched 4x10k plates (84mm width) at 72.6k bodyweight. The thing that stands out in a comparison between the two is the huge pinch strength of Bruce.

Noticed Yves is recorded for 40.88k on the flask in the 74k class which is nowhere near my best one hand performance (4x10k plates). Having said that I don't consider myself at Bruce's level in pinch lifting pound-for-pound. I still regard Kody Burns as the best of all time pound-for-pound in pinch lifting. For Yves to be regarded as the best pound-for-pound he would need to have an outstanding pinch strength as this is one of the main grip categories. He can't be easily beaten by someone like me and still be in the discussion for the best of all-time pound-for-pound in allround grip strength.

37 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

You can't be serious. Yves is recorded for a 68.38k two hand pinch on the flask and a 38.38k one hand pinch on the flask. Even I have exceeded that pound-for-pound. I have one hand pinched 4x10k plates (84mm width) at 72.6k bodyweight. The thing that stands out in a comparison between the two is the huge pinch strength of Bruce.

The two-hand pinch number is not at all indicative of his pinch strength. It was an error due to inexperience in grip sport contests. We were using a last man standing format in that particular contest and after successfully lifting that weight, he passed on the next five weight increments, planning to come back in at around 98 kg. In training the week before he had lifted about 107, so he was very confident. By the time it was his turn, his muscles cooled down and he was unsuccessful. That one-hand figure is also misleading, considering it was his first contest and very first time he  had touched the flask. I think he jumped up to something like 45 on his fourth attempt, got some air, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

I think you may be unaware of some of Yves other lifts (not all of which have been set in a contest):

Rolling Thunder 100 kg (and close to a strict lift with 102

Two-hand saxon bar 120.5 kg (2” version in a contest, and 3” version in training)

Apollon’s Axle 182kg

Little Big Horn 100kg

Two-hand tips tester 177 kg!!!

Parallel set grippers 170 lbs

Wrist Wrench 46kg

etc...

So yes, I’m very serious.

• Like 6