Road to the CoC3#

SteinWillems1

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Dang, people must hate doing BJJ with you and your grip.

Once i get stronger with my grip/bending i'd like to start doing BJJ. Then i'll probably be eating 5000 calories too.

Grip helps, but I get my arse kicked by men half my size. If you think you want to train BJJ, start now and eliminate the idea of using any strength with it from your mind and focus on fitness, mobility, and technique.  The techniques trump strength and size when executed properly.  Now...strength + proper technique...that's an entirely different animal. 

I'm a blue belt.  I know nothing.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Grip helps, but I get my arse kicked by men half my size. If you think you want to train BJJ, start now and eliminate the idea of using any strength with it from your mind and focus on fitness, mobility, and technique.  The techniques trump strength and size when executed properly.  Now...strength + proper technique...that's an entirely different animal. 

You are right about that... Strength is only a little factor.   I honestly think my daily  stretching will really benefit me more than grip. I'm planning on starting sooner rather than later. Been chasing the inch and thats been my focus... Im miles away from lifting it but every week i get an inch closer.. I think thats the real reason they call it the inch dumbbell.

3 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

How long have you been doing BJJ for? I got my kids in BJJ and Muay thai this year and they love it. I did some grappling training in my early 20's under Erik Paulson in fullerton and enjoyed it. The only issue I found was that being a bigger guy people tended go hard on me and I felt it was easier to get injured. It was also a competitive gym with some high level guys. Also heard lots of stories of people hurting themselves rolling. At my age now I just want to be healthy and avoid injuries. Maybe it could be a no gi vs gi though as I only ever trained no gi and it seems to be faster pace compared to gi. In the gi you have to be more technically sound and can't muscle out of things as easily. *Could be wrong about this but few times I tried gi it was easier to get caught in sub and I could roll with higher guys no gi compared to gi* 

I really like the atmosphere of the gym my kids go to which isn't quite as competitive so I would be open to doing it again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

How long have you been doing BJJ for? I got my kids in BJJ and Muay thai this year and they love it. I did some grappling training in my early 20's under Erik Paulson in fullerton and enjoyed it. The only issue I found was that being a bigger guy people tended go hard on me and I felt it was easier to get injured. It was also a competitive gym with some high level guys. Also heard lots of stories of people hurting themselves rolling. At my age now I just want to be healthy and avoid injuries. Maybe it could be a no gi vs gi though as I only ever trained no gi and it seems to be faster pace compared to gi. In the gi you have to be more technically sound and can't muscle out of things as easily. *Could be wrong about this but few times I tried gi it was easier to get caught in sub and I could roll with higher guys no gi compared to gi* 

I really like the atmosphere of the gym my kids go to which isn't quite as competitive so I would be open to doing it again. 

I haven't trained for 4 or 5 months now. I got burned out and needed a break.  I have about two years of training into it, though.

Yeah, big guys like us definitely have bullseyes on our backs, but I go hard and have earned the respect of the higher belts and my peers. I've competed quite a bit, and I've won or come in second at every tournament.

I don't enjoy the toxicity of the sport's competitive environment. I turn into a real jerk when I am preparing for a fight, and I'm able to go places in my head during a fight that aren't good either.  I can be ok with crippling someone if they are accepting the risk of stepping on the mats.  It's not a headspace I like being in.

When I return to the sport, I don't plan on competing. 😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I haven't trained for 4 or 5 months now. I got burned out and needed a break.  I have about two years of training into it, though.

Yeah, big guys like us definitely have bullseyes on our backs, but I go hard and have earned the respect of the higher belts and my peers. I've competed quite a bit, and I've won or come in second at every tournament.

I don't enjoy the toxicity of the sport's competitive environment. I turn into a real jerk when I am preparing for a fight, and I'm able to go places in my head during a fight that aren't good either.  I can be ok with crippling someone if they are accepting the risk of stepping on the mats.  It's not a headspace I like being in.

When I return to the sport, I don't plan on competing. 😁

I think there is definitely a benefit to be able to tap into that energy. I know eddie hall talked about training his mind to think of dark scenarios to help him lift the 500kg deadlift. I can see how being in that state of mind a lot can be difficult though. I remember Gary Hunt was an intense bender in the past who mentioned he would go into dark places on difficult bends. I think the smelling salts will be enough for me for now that did the trick in my last session. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I think there is definitely a benefit to be able to tap into that energy. I know eddie hall talked about training his mind to think of dark scenarios to help him lift the 500kg deadlift. I can see how being in that state of mind a lot can be difficult though. I remember Gary Hunt was an intense bender in the past who mentioned he would go into dark places on difficult bends. I think the smelling salts will be enough for me for now that did the trick in my last session. 

Absolutely, but over the course of a 6-8 week camp focused on crushing the enemy in every possible scenario it starts to permeate into everything off the mats lol

• Like 1

I've seen that Eddie Hall interview before. Pretty intense what you got to go through to get that kind of weight off the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Warming up coc #1, coc 1.5

Right:

5 reps ccs rated #2.5 126 rgc
5 reps 25 mm block set ghp 6
4 reps 25 mm block set ghp 6
3 reps 25 mm block set ghp 6

Left:
10 reps ccs #2 PR
3 reps ccs #2.5
6 reps ccs ghp 5
5 reps ccs ghp 5

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Warming up, coc #T, coc #1.5 

Right:
Coc #2.5 rated 126 3x5 reps ccs
Set 4 ghp 6 4 reps mms

Left:
4x3 reps mms unrated #2.5

• Like 4

NICE WORK

• Thanks 1

Had a pretty great workout today! Despite having a cold I am coming back to my old level!

My short term goal is to close the #2.5 126 rgc for 5x5 and my #3 152 rgc for 2 ccs reps.

Right:
Set 1 ccs 11 reps unrated #2.5
3x3 reps ccs ghp 6

Left:
Set 1 ccs 10 reps #2
Set 2 ccs 8 reps #2
Set 3  ccs 6 reps #2
Set 4 ccs 4 reps #2

• Like 5

Warming up

Left
3 ccs reps unrated #2.5
3 38 mm block reps #2.5
2 reps 38 mm block reps #.25
8 reps 38 mm block reps 116 rgc cpwxgg
3 click reps #2

Right
Set 1 Ghp 6 4 reps ccs
Set 2 ghp 6 3 reps ccs
Set 3 ghp 6 3 reps ccs
Set 4 167 rgc #3.5 choked to 15 mm miss
Set 5 167 rgc #3.5 choked to 15 mm miss

• Like 4

nice grip work

• Like 1

Warming up

Left:

5x5 ccs 116 rgc cpw x gg

Right:

5x3 ccs 126 rgc #2.5

• Like 6

Left:
5x6 reps ccs rated 116 rgc cpwxgg

Right:
3 ccs reps #2.5

3 reps HG 300 139 rgc  20 mm block set

1 rep HG 300 139 rgc 20 mm block set

3  click reps coc #2

3 click reps coc #2

• Like 6

Warming up

Left:
3 reps ccs #2.5
3 reps ccs #2.5
Cpw x gg 116 rgc 7 reps ccs
ghp 5 6 reps ccs
Ghp 5 5 reps ccs

Right:
Unrated #2.5 5 reps ccs
3 reps ccs ghp 6
3 reps ccs ghp 6
3 reps ccs ghp 6
5 reps ccs #2.5

Not the best workout. Will be better.

Also did some bench press 5 set of 3 reps with 120 kg, pretty happy about that!

• Like 4

Warming up

Left
11 reps ccs #2 
1 reps ccs #2.5
Ghp 5 6 ccs reps
Ghp 5 5 ccs reps
Ghp 5 5 ccs reps

Right:
5 reps #2.5
1 rep 144 rgc #3
5 reps  #2.5