Road to the CoC3#

SteinWillems1

15 hours ago, Gripsta2323 said:

You got this next time! What have you been finding success with most lately for gripper training?

I sure will! I am trying to train around 4-6 sets of 1 to 5 reps and then 1 or 3 singles with my goal gripper. When the first working set feels good I will to the 1-3 singles with my goal gripper before switching back to my working sets.

It is kind of the type of workout that @dubyagrip posted on his youtube channel. 

Last october I was able to ccs close my #3 gripper. Due to a very bad back injury I did not train for two months and I lost a lot of strenght. Now I am trying to regain my strenght.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

I sure will! I am trying to train around 4-6 sets of 1 to 5 reps and then 1 or 3 singles with my goal gripper. When the first working set feels good I will to the 1-3 singles with my goal gripper before switching back to my working sets.

It is kind of the type of workout that @dubyagrip posted on his youtube channel. 

Last october I was able to ccs close my #3 gripper. Due to a very bad back injury I did not train for two months and I lost a lot of strenght. Now I am trying to regain my strenght.

I hope my tips are helpful. If you aren't training with a gripper that is slightly harder than your goal gripper, I would encourage getting one and doing choked or deep set attempts with it on your training days.  Cheat it closed with your free hand if you can't get it.  This will make you stronger, and it will make your goal gripper easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I hope my tips are helpful. If you aren't training with a gripper that is slightly harder than your goal gripper, I would encourage getting one and doing choked or deep set attempts with it on your training days.  Cheat it closed with your free hand if you can't get it.  This will make you stronger, and it will make your goal gripper easier.

Thanks! Youre tips are absolutely helpfull!

• Thanks 1

Warming up HG 100, coc #T

Left
2 reps ccs #2.5
2 reps ccs #2.5
9 reps ccs #2
8 reps ccs #2

Right:
1 rep deep set #3
1 rep deep set #3
9 reps cccs # 2.5
9 reps ccs #2.5

• Like 5

Warming up
HG 100, coc T, coc #1

Left:
5 reps ccs #2
3 reps ccs #2.5
2 reps ccs #2.5
2 reps ccs #2.5
7 reps 20 mm blockset ghp 5
6 reps 20 mm blockset ghp 5

Right:
3 reps ccs #2.5
2 reps parallel set standard Iron FE
4 reps 20 mm block set ghp 6
3 reps 20 mm  block set ghp 6
3 reps 20 mm block set ghp 6
3 reps 20 mm block set ghp 6

• Like 4

I really have the feeling that I have to train more parallel and 20 to 38 block set reps. Like @Vinnie told me a long time ago.

Maybe it is a stupid question but can anyone explain why these rep are so important to build solid crushing power? Is it because of the constant tension?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

I really have the feeling that I have to train more parallel and 20 to 38 block set reps. Like @Vinnie told me a long time ago.

Maybe it is a stupid question but can anyone explain why these rep are so important to build solid crushing power? Is it because of the constant tension?

Could be completely wrong but If I had to guess it’s to build strength in that ROM.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Because the end range is the hardest part of the range of motion so you're basically mastering the entire end range.

Also Nathan holle calls his CCS day a "practice day" which implies that you only have to practice CCS training once a week or so and that the strength building happens in the parallel to 38mm range.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Because the end range is where the gripper is the heaviest. It is also important to spend time where it is heaviest and not just tap the handles & open them up, because that's missing out on a lot of strength gains from actually using the heaviest part, & learning how to be in control of it. If you're not able to control training grippers there, there's no way you'll have any control over heavier grippers. I like the 38 mm block because then it's not much differnet to go in either direction wider or smaller from it, and my main goal certs use 38 mm block.

If you're unsure about volume or just guessing at what to do, I highly recommend the cadence based training program, it's what I use, & there is freedom to tailor some parts to suit your style more, while following the majority of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Because the end range is where the gripper is the heaviest. It is also important to spend time where it is heaviest and not just tap the handles & open them up, because that's missing out on a lot of strength gains from actually using the heaviest part, & learning how to be in control of it. If you're not able to control training grippers there, there's no way you'll have any control over heavier grippers. I like the 38 mm block because then it's not much differnet to go in either direction wider or smaller from it, and my main goal certs use 38 mm block.

If you're unsure about volume or just guessing at what to do, I highly recommend the cadence based training program, it's what I use, & there is freedom to tailor some parts to suit your style more, while following the majority of it.

Yup, I highly recommend any product/service Jedd Johnson puts out. Well worth the money If you are serious about grip.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 3:17 PM, SteinWillems1 said:

It's because you overload. MMS has a higher strength ceiling.

Because you're overloading your system (compared to if you only do wide set). So your CNS and muscles adapts to higher load. You still need to train wider set if you want to be good at that. But working with higher loads enables you to get stronger when you start practice with wider set again.

How big the strength difference between MMS and CCS is depends on the individual and how you train. Most people who can MMS close a #3.5 can CCS close a #3 without training CCS, as long as the grippers are in the same range for each level.

There is also another aspect to MMS training that I never see people talk about. That is that you actually get sweep training when you set a gripper. Every time you set a gripper for MMS, you're fingerwalking the handle and that makes your open hand strength a workout. If you do this a lot (many sets) it will improve your sweep strength also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warming up HG 100, coc #1

Left:
5 reps mms #2
1 reps ccs  #2.5
1 rep ccs #2.5
3 reps mms #2.5
2 reps mms #2.5
3 reps mms #2.5
2 reps mms #2.5

Right:
5 reps mms #2.5
1 rep mms #3 miss
1 rep mms #3 closed!!
1 rep 20 mm choker #3.5 rated 165, miss
4 reps 25 mm block set ghp 6

• Like 6

Nice work 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Zercher squat
100 kg 15, 8,8, 6

Warming up  HG 100, coc T

Left:
2 reps ccs #2.5
5 reps 25 mm block set #2.5
4 reps 25 mm block set #2.5
4 reps 25 mm block set #2.5
7 reps 38 mm block set CPWX GG 112 RGC

Right:
3 reps #2.5
1 rep 20 mm block set144 #3
1 rep 20 mm block set 144 #3
5 reps 25 mm block set ghp 6
Iron FE 38 mm block set 1 rep

• Like 6

115 kg bench 5x5

Right: 5x5 IM #2.5

Left: 5x5 IM #2

Zercher squat 100 kg 3 sets 10 reps

• Like 4

NICE WORK

• Thanks 1

Had a good session today. I bought two grippers, one #2.5 rated at 126 and a HG 300 rated at 139. Love the rated grippers, they really make tracking progress a lot easier. 

I tested where I was and I did 8 reps ccs with the rated #2.5. 

• Like 5

I know what you mean about rated grippers

• Like 2

Warming up IM #1,#1.5

Left

5x5 ccs CPWX GG 116 RGC

Right

3x5 reps ccs IM#2.5 126 rgc

2 x4 reps ccs IM #2.5 126 rgc

Building up to 5x5 with the 126 rgc #2.5.

• Like 4

nice grip work

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:20 AM, SteinWillems1 said:

Had a good session today. I bought two grippers, one #2.5 rated at 126 and a HG 300 rated at 139. Love the rated grippers, they really make tracking progress a lot easier. 

I tested where I was and I did 8 reps ccs with the rated #2.5. 

Yeah, I feel like rated grippers are really everything when you want to progress. I think that ~21/26 or so grippers that I own are rated. I don’t buy non-rated grippers anymore, and I’m thinking about sending in the few that aren’t rated for CPW’s rate-and-return, even though they’re just warmup grippers (CoC 1, GHP4, etc.). All rated grippers plus a CPW bumper and you can really hone the progressive overload and overall progress of your workouts. It at least helps me immensely mentally. 

• Like 4

Warming up: HG 100, coc#T and #1

Left 

5x5 ccs HG 250, very easy

Right

4X5 reps ccs 126RGC #2.5

1X4 reps ccs 126 RGC #2.5

Missed the last set with 1 rep. I will get it next week!

Zercher squats 

Wrist curls

• Like 3