Barbell static holds

cantgripcrap

Thanks for the feedback everyone on my Q about reps.

I plan on eliminating one of my pinching exercises and replacing it with static thick bar holds. I was just wondering how long the holds should be before progressing and does the time count even when the weight starts to roll down to your finger tips and you hold on for dear life.

Man, I'm REALLY getting into this grip stuff.

BTW, I have worked on my grip all winter and even doing minimal amounts of work I have seen an increase in my forearm size and strength, especially since implementing the wrist rolls. I am also VERY excited to see how my new found grip/wrist strength will positively effect my golf game. I hit golf balls last week for the 1st time in 4 months so it's kinda hard to tell but I have a good feeling it will benefit me in a big way.

Fred

Guest Dr Tom

I tell all my patients that I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for their golf game!  They're on their own.

BTW, Do you know why it's called "golf"?  The words "####" and "####" were already taken!  :shocked:

(Sorry Wannagrip!)

Fred,

I do static holds with Farmers Bars. One set of 10 sec, and one set of 30 sec.

When should you consider your hold "finished"? It does not matter, as long as you are consistent. So what you need to find, is which point is most easy for you to measure in a consistent way. Myself, I consider the point where I feel I have to sit down to put down the weight as the point of "failure".

Progression: On my 10sec holds, I will progress by a small plate when I have done 10 secs with both hands. On my 30sec holds (where I use roughly 20 lbs less than on the 10sec holds), I will progress when I have managed to hang on for dear life for 30 seconds.

If I find I do less than 7 seconds on the 10sec holds, I will go down in weight again.

Mr.Fornicola: I think you should hold the weight until you drop it on the spotters or on the floor.you should not putt it down.hold it as long as you can untill you drop it.and offcourse it counts when the  bar is on the tips.

when it comes to time.i think Brooks Kubik is right.

He thinks that heavy weights that you only can hold for a couple of seconds is good.becouse they will really thicken your liggaments.when it comes to your hands.your muscles isn't that bigg.thats why thicken the bones,liggaments and joints are extra importent.but if you go for 30-60 seconds,that will offcourse give you good endurance.and thats might be more important and more usefull for you.

me myself go for 2 sets of 5 seconds holds.thats pain.

but thats with an olympic bar.not a thick bar.we dont have thick bars around here.

well ...hope i helped you in some way....

Niklas

Hi Fred:

The length of hold depends on the goal you'd like to achieve by doing the exercise.  Longer duration= less weight used= more endurance building.  Shorter duration= more weight used= more strength building.  The same priciple as any other lift, I suppose (where time equal reps or TUL).  

I use 10 seconds for all of my timed holds right now (strapholds, pinch block, Rolling Thunder).  I can't see myself ever going much over 20- maybe 30- but that's just me (I got bored and distracted when I used 60 seconds for awhile).

As far as what counts on the clock, as long as gravity has not sent the object careening toward earth, I'm still in control of it no matter how badly I'm slipping (although usually at that point not for long :))  It's just easier for me to have it timed from when it leaves the hand.

I've only played golf once in my life (last year) and I loved it!  It's so mathematical!  Strong hands and wrists should help your golf game quite a bit.

BC.

Ok,

I tried thick bar static holds today but I'm not sure I received the full benefits. When holding the bar, is it suppose to lean against your thighs or are you suppose to extend it out by leaning over a bit? I actually did a set using the long thick bar with 1 hand at my side....it made it more interesting having to stop the bar from wobbling.

Comments?

Fred

Guest Peter Solomou

When holding the bar its probably safer to hold it against the thigh with the body upright, comparable to a top position in BLDL, you`re gonna be using a whole lot of weight for static holds so keep yourself tight.

Peter.

Hi Fred-

I think you can really do it either way, just be consistent with whatever you decide.

BC.