Identifying 80d nails

devinhoo

I ended up with a couple different types of 80d nails (3/8 x 8") from the hardware store and I was hoping to get some more information on them. There's a lot less info on specific types of 80d's than 60d's from what I could find. 

I have three different 80d's. One that is shiny, and two that are dull. The dull 80d's have "28" on the heads and resemble an extra large GripRite 60d nail from my 50 lb box. However one of the dull 80d nails has a much thicker nail head than the other with a slight glimmer to the galvanization. The shiny one I couldn't get to budge, but the dull one with the thinner head felt around a hexabastard and moved okay overhand; haven't tried the dull 80d with the thicker head yet. All three have different lines on them, although I honestly don't know if those signify anything.

Has anyone come across these? I'd like to buy some more but I want to make sure I get the right type. Pictures have the dull 80d with a thinner head on top/right, shiny in the middle, and dull 80d with a thicker head on the bottom/left.

7E2DECCA-C0D9-4A11-BD31-2DD7FE4B5EE5.jpeg

C07DB99B-E83C-42AC-84E9-6ADE03723CD1.jpeg

16A9FAD0-F689-434F-A01C-53B31C09DF18.jpeg

131DD14F-F133-423F-A191-B25A9535B91E.jpeg

99B30A74-A4A2-47C2-8A66-B09139DCCE25.jpeg

616A2511-E7CF-4C09-9F94-56B0AD0990D7.jpeg

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 3

Sorry I can't help you but those are some cool looking nails. Would love to try them. Can't seem to find that size of nails over here tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Sorry I can't help you but those are some cool looking nails. Would love to try them. Can't seem to find that size of nails over here tho.

Yep, nearly no chance to get them here in europe!

• Like 1

Here's what I did once I found something I liked. I took it to Home Depot and Lowes and dumped all the 80D nails they had on the floor and went through them one by one until I found everyone that matched or close to what I had. Some were close, others not so much. Also did this at local hardware store. Got a lot of strange looks from people walking by but I found what I was looking for. Hope this helps in your search. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brett said:

Here's what I did once I found something I liked. I took it to Home Depot and Lowes and dumped all the 80D nails they had on the floor and went through them one by one until I found everyone that matched or close to what I had. Some were close, others not so much. Also did this at local hardware store. Got a lot of strange looks from people walking by but I found what I was looking for. Hope this helps in your search. Good luck! 

That's kind of what I did yesterday, but with better follow through. I hit up a couple hardware stores with three different types of 80d nails in my pocket for comparison. I bought a 50 lb box of Grip Rite 80d nails, which is the shiny nail in the middle I couldn't move. However I also found a 5 lb box of some dull Fas-n-Tite/Hillman which seem to be a fourth type of 80d and might be what Tommy J and Jaden were bending earlier in the year. One of the other two types of nails might be Keystone, but the ballpark for the rating is still a mystery on everything except the Grip Rite at ~530. At least I have a whole bunch of nails to play with now and plenty if I want to start doing some braced bending.