Consistent overall grip strength loss

Noobishindi

Over the last year I’ve found my grip gradually declining. It’s literally like somebody put slow progression in reverse. I’m 35 and eating the healthiest I’ve ever been, my strength in other training has progressed nicely in that same period, specifically deadlifts and thickbar db rows. But any specific grip? Not so sweet decline. 

My GHP 6 close went from almost touching the handles to barely hitting parallel. 2 35lb plate pinch from a  9-10 second hold with each hand to not even lifting them off the ground any more. RT from 3 sets of 10 secs with 145lb to 1 set of 10 secs with 140lb. My blobette has had its weight cut from 38lb to around 27-28lb. It’s basically across the board. 

I’ve taken 5-6 weeks off a few months ago (life came in the way) and figured a good rest from everything would help but it’s still the same regression. Strangely, the only progression I’ve seen has been with reverse DB curls (hadn’t worked them in years so I guess coming back to them spurred an increase). 

I work in a lumber yard but I’ve done so for 7 years so it’s not like it’s something new that was introduced which had an impact. 

I’ve used the same exercises for a while so I’m assuming everything stagnated all at the same time? The routine layout is basically how I’ve trained grip for years but I’m happy to try something new and am open to constructive criticism. 

Tuesday

Grippers- 4 sets of negatives with extensor band work

2 35lb plate pinch- 3 sets timed holds (using 1 hand and assistance from other hand’s thumb only)

Front sledgehammer lever- 3 sets

Reverse DB curls- 4 sets 

Thursday

RT- 3-4 sets of timed holds 

2H pinch block- 3-4 sets of timed holds

Back sledge lever- 3 sets 

Saturday

Grippers- 4 sets of parallel closed reps with extensor band work

Blobette- 3-4 sets of timed holds

OH sledge lever- 3 sets

I excluded exercises for calves, rear delts and such which are also done on the above days as they don’t pertain to grip. 

Monday and Friday are lower body days, Wednesday and Sunday are upper body days. 

4 hours ago, Noobishindi said:

35 is a peculiar age for man. Hormones may be more than 18, and may become less. The sensitivity of the receptors with which they work may change - the libido will not change, bat the physical parameters deteriorate ... As for me, this is the first option on the list of possibilities. Try some natural products - tribulus, tongkat ali, natural yohimbine (not pharmacy hydrochloride), d-aspartic acid. Necessarily vitamin E at a dose of 800-1200 per day + big doses of multivitamins and minerals, omegas ... There is a lot more ...

If you start using magic injections like sustanon or everything from the rich list that "drug dealers" have, you will stay on this forever. At this age, and with each added year, the chance that the body will start producing its hormones after withdrawal is small. All fairy tales about gonadotropins and other garbage are just advertising to attract suckers. people who were helped by this are rather an exception. You either have to use it as much as you want to look and feel like a male, or get used to the sight of a bag of fat and shit in the mirror ..

By training - everyone's body reacts to them differently, and everyone needs their own load to progress. As for me, my arms would atrophy altogether if I trained as you described. The workout must be hard. So that the next day, the muscles in your palms spasmed, and after that - 7-10 days of rest with training of other parts of the body in this interval ...

I would lose grip strength fast on that program. Too many holds and not enough volume. Instead of doing 4 sets of negatives with grippers you would be better served by doing eg 20-30 or more singles with a suitable gripper.

• Like 1

Im a grip newb, not familiar with the training yet. For general strength if someone were to say to me they are going backwards at that age in some bodypart my thoughts would be to look at .

1 lifestyle changes. 2. Over-training, particularly combined with work, stress, sleep levels.3 Injuries, including those indirect to the area, both past and present. 4. Medical problems.

if I knew nothing in my life had changed, and I was certain this area of my exercise was declining, and it was very important to me I would

1. see a sports doctor or doctor who sees a lot of athletes. Get a guy who is interested in seeing you perform well at your hobby. 2. A sports physical therapist( again not just some guy who deals with getting fat guys back to work or old folk in nursing homes) . Its their job to know why certain bodyparts are sorer or weaker than others.

Edited by Karl

Way too low volume for grip training. That might work with barbell deadlifts but the hands are not the same as big compound lifts. You need to up the volume.

Also skip the negatives with grippers, they will only wear you out and potentially cause an injury. If you do thick bar training you will increase your open hand strength anyways and it will also fatigue you enough as it is. Add in beyond the range work instead if you feel like you need to increase strength at the close.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Noobishindi said:

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a suggested template for volume or a template routine I can base volume on? 

Difficult to give you exact numbers. It all depends on your goals and how your hands and CNS responds. It's something you have to find out yourself. I could give you very exact numbers but they might not help you at all.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:35 PM, Mikael Siversson said:

I would lose grip strength fast on that program. Too many holds and not enough volume. Instead of doing 4 sets of negatives with grippers you would be better served by doing eg 20-30 or more singles with a suitable gripper.

Yes.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:07 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Way too low volume for grip training. That might work with barbell deadlifts but the hands are not the same as big compound lifts. You need to up the volume.

Also skip the negatives with grippers, they will only wear you out and potentially cause an injury. If you do thick bar training you will increase your open hand strength anyways and it will also fatigue you enough as it is. Add in beyond the range work instead if you feel like you need to increase strength at the close.

And yes.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Difficult to give you exact numbers. It all depends on your goals and how your hands and CNS responds. It's something you have to find out yourself. I could give you very exact numbers but they might not help you at all.

And yep!