More newb questions

Karl

I checked the FAQ, sorry if I missed any.

1. offhand close, I assume this means with your weaker hand?

2. When people achieve a certain gripper close ,do they need to prove they can do it both hands or just your best?

3. Is there an equivalency or comparison between CoC grippers and the Monster mash grippers? As in what  number roughly equates to the other.

4. Any general guideline for what baseline CoC ability would be needed to do the #3 eventually?

5. How quickly does grip performance improve or plateux with training? Uneducated guess is big gains at first, then gradual improvements, (going off other strength endeavours)

6. Does anyone do the circus style 'bite grip' stuff? Weirdest question so far, but it was a serious strongman act in the day.

7. Does anyone else like cats? Be honest gentlemen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karl said:

2. When people achieve a certain gripper close ,do they need to prove they can do it both hands or just your best?

3. Is there an equivalency or comparison between CoC grippers and the Monster mash grippers? As in what  number roughly equates to the other.

4. Any general guideline for what baseline CoC ability would be needed to do the #3 eventually?

5. How quickly does grip performance improve or plateux with training? Uneducated guess is big gains at first, then gradual improvements, (going off other strength endeavours)

6. Does anyone do the circus style 'bite grip' stuff? Weirdest question so far, but it was a serious strongman act in the day.

I can't answer any of them but the last one. Hate'em

34 minutes ago, Karl said:

1. Yes.

2. No

3. MashMonster grippers are not allowed to be rated. Rough estimates are:
#1 - Slightly above average COC#3
#2 - Slightly harder than the hardest COC#3's you'll find.
#3 - Slightly harder than average COC#3.5.
#4 - Very similar to level 3.
#5 - A step up from #3 & #4, maybe in the low 190's?
#6 - Closer to COC#4 territory.
#7 - Some have said either in the high 190's or low 200's. So equal to a lighter COC#4.
#8 - Maybe like the average COC#4.
#9 - Only one man has tried it (Stephen Anderson) so only he could tell. 

4. Average COC#3 is 150 lbs RGC.

5. Depends entirely on genetics.

6. Not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean bending steel in your mouth? If so, yes some people do it.

7. They are cute but I feel they are too dirty to have as pets :D 

• Like 2

Thanks Fist of Fury. Regards bite grip, should have said teeth-lifting, like the old time strongmen who carried sacks of wheat held in their jaws. I might do some more googling on it later to see if any hobbysits on this side of things.

So the MM #1 is that hard.  Would most the fellas who achieve various MM be on the CoC certification list too? Or are there a lot of fellas who close the #3 never bother getting certified? Just wondering how exclusive the #3 list really is.

1 hour ago, Karl said:

Thanks Fist of Fury. Regards bite grip, should have said teeth-lifting, like the old time strongmen who carried sacks of wheat held in their jaws. I might do some more googling on it later to see if any hobbysits on this side of things.

So the MM #1 is that hard.  Would most the fellas who achieve various MM be on the CoC certification list too? Or are there a lot of fellas who close the #3 never bother getting certified? Just wondering how exclusive the #3 list really is.

Minimum requirement for MM-cert is a parallel set. Where the handles are parallel to each other, which is around 19-20 mm. Ironmind has harder rules where you have to pass a credit card between the handles which is around 54 mm.

Before 2004 the rules for the Ironmind certification was easier. So I wouldn't pay any attention to that list. The only list that always had difficult rules are the #3.5 certs. It's the only "legit" list of theirs IMO.

• Like 1