Vulcan 2 adjustable gripper, why did it stop being used?

pancho_grip_lift

Hello members of the board. I was wondering why did the Vulcan 2 gripper, from David Horne's world of grip, stopped being as used in competitions as before, and as known as before. I've seen old youtube videos from 2010-2012, where Paul knight or Jedd Jhonson were using this gripper, and using it for competitions, but not anymore.

Was it that Robert Baraban came up with his adjustable gripper so the grip community prefers to use that one? or is it only that people forgot about it?

• Like 1

It was typically featured in David’s own multi venue World of Grip competition series. I’m not too familiar with it being contested outside of that. 

• Thanks 1

Very good question. Very optimal gripper to use in competition. Everyone is using the same gripper. No need to worry about the specs of each gripper. Like the spread between the handles and the knurling. Which makes a huge difference. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 12:36 AM, Cannon said:

It was typically featured in David’s own multi venue World of Grip competition series. I’m not too familiar with it being contested outside of that. 

Thank you Matt! 

On 11/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, Fist of Fury said:

Very good question. Very optimal gripper to use in competition. Everyone is using the same gripper. No need to worry about the specs of each gripper. Like the spread between the handles and the knurling. Which makes a huge difference. 

I like the vulcan. I have one, and I train with it to improve my set strength. And also I think is really cool to work with

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Thank you Matt! 

I like the vulcan. I have one, and I train with it to improve my set strength. And also I think is really cool to work with

Yes single best gripper in the world in my opinion. Working with the vulcan makes TSG's feel like butter in the sweep. Better set = better chance to close the gripper.

• Like 1

I always struggled with how top-heavy the Vulcan feels. I believe that is part of why it feels hard to set. If you take a regular TSG and use a carabiner to hang weight from the spring coil, it’s a legit way to train setting. Feels much harder when top heavy. 

But the strength for the expansion spring is kind of reversed which makes the set harder and close easier. I remember at a Horne event that Adam Glass hosted, I reeled in a L13 close just by sticking with it. I missed the close on the initial hit, but could feel in my hand that the spring was “giving up” little by little. It took a good 5-10 seconds but I got there. It gave up before I did. 😆

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I always struggled with how top-heavy the Vulcan feels. I believe that is part of why it feels hard to set. If you take a regular TSG and use a carabiner to hang weight from the spring coil, it’s a legit way to train setting. Feels much harder when top heavy. 

But the strength for the expansion spring is kind of reversed which makes the set harder and close easier. I remember at a Horne event that Adam Glass hosted, I reeled in a L13 close just by sticking with it. I missed the close on the initial hit, but could feel in my hand that the spring was “giving up” little by little. It took a good 5-10 seconds but I got there. It gave up before I did. 😆

Yes! that's how I feel it too, set harder and close easier. 

How does it compare to the feel of Robert Baraban Adjustable? equal strength all the way until its closed?

16 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

How does it compare to the feel of Robert Baraban Adjustable? equal strength all the way until its closed?

The set and close are the same as far as I can feel. Depends on the spring used, with chrome spring it's hard through the whole sweep. Feels the same way through the whole sweep. It might appear easier at the close but that is because setting is harder than crushing. That's why you're much stronger with chokers on a gripper. For setting you need full upper body strength and open hand strength, which is a weaker movement than closed hand strength.

As for the Baraban adjustable I think it's not as good as the vulcan, it's easier. More narrow spread.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, pancho_grip_lift said:

If you're comparing Vulcan versus Baraban Adjustable, I feel that they are the same in terms of how they close. The main difference for me (and it's a huge one) is the Baraban handles are knurled and Vulcan is smooth. It's a personal opinion, but I much prefer knurling.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cannon said:

If you're comparing Vulcan versus Baraban Adjustable, I feel that they are the same in terms of how they close. The main difference for me (and it's a huge one) is the Baraban handles are knurled and Vulcan is smooth. It's a personal opinion, but I much prefer knurling.

You can actually get the baraban without knurling as well.

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

Thank you Matt. And what about tha hard spring from the RBA vs Crom Spring from the Vulcan? do they reach similar ratings? I guess the vulcan has higher jumps than tha RBA

17 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Thank you Matt. And what about tha hard spring from the RBA vs Crom Spring from the Vulcan? do they reach similar ratings? I guess the vulcan has higher jumps than tha RBA

That I really don’t know.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Don't know about ratings but the chrome spring is a harder spring than the hardest ones from Baraban that I've tried. I hade one gold and one black coloured. Nowhere near as hard as the world of grip chrome spring. However I haven't tried these springs on the vulcan, I'm sure the gripper itself also affects how it feels. Since the vulcan has a much wider spread.

Hardest springs with the Baraban gripper feels like a normal gripper just with a bit harder sweep than TSG's. Vulcan with chrome spring is something completely different. Doesn't feel like any other grippers at all.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Cannon said:

That I really don’t know.  

9 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Don't know about ratings but the chrome spring is a harder spring than the hardest ones from Baraban that I've tried. I hade one gold and one black coloured. Nowhere near as hard as the world of grip chrome spring. However I haven't tried these springs on the vulcan, I'm sure the gripper itself also affects how it feels. Since the vulcan has a much wider spread.

Hardest springs with the Baraban gripper feels like a normal gripper just with a bit harder sweep than TSG's. Vulcan with chrome spring is something completely different. Doesn't feel like any other grippers at all.

Thank you guys!!