Which 2 grippers for retired wrestler

Karl

Hi Im a former heavyweight greco wrestler for my country, always considered good grip in that sport, though it doesnt necessarily relate to real grip sports. would like to try some of those numbered grippers where you can get the certificate. Being in another country and out of work, dont want to spend a great deal shipping in a bunch of grippers. I can probably afford two for the forseeable future.

Which two should I get? Is it worth getting trainer level grip and also a No.2.5 or No.3 to see if I can do it right off? Or lesser models?

Also. how do they certify the folks on that no.3 list, do you fly into the US to do it? I assume with covid its impossible at the moment.

Thanks for advice including reality checks :)

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

Hello! if you never tried a gripper, maybe it would be better to try the adjustable gripper from Robert Baraban. It is like US$70, and it has like 10+levels. It would give you plenty of levels, and it would feel "like" ironmind grippers. There are affordable options to buy this gripper in the US and in Europe. 

I don't know how does the certification for the #3 is working right now.

Good luck buddy!

Hello Karl, great to see more wrestlers get in to grip sport. It's really difficult to say which grippers you sould get, it depends on your budget of course, if you can afford it, buy a complete set of them. From Trainer to the #3. If you don't want to spend that much immediately I would suggest that you start off with buying three grippers.

Trainer (this is for warmups and for technique)

Depending on how that feels you can then decide which grippers to order next.

Ironmind certification process works like this: Ironmind will set you up with a referee who is closest to you. Then you will arrange a meeting with that referee and you'll meet and do the certification process. Now in COVID-times they have changed the rules a bit, you can now do it alone, filming everything. I don't know if they plan on keeping that rule or not once society opens up again.

4 hours ago, Karl said:

Fist of Fury, thanks also for the info regards certification.

No problem, keep us updated on your progress :) 

15 hours ago, mfin77 said:

If your in Europe look at the Vulcan gripper by David Horne. Great gripper that carries over well to coc grippers. 

Yes, the vulcan gripper is the best gripper ever created for training. Kind of a mystery why there's not more people using it.